Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
DennisC

New Nook Color Owner here!

Good Afternoon All,

I finally picked up a Nook Color this past Saturday night at my local B&N store after a few weeks of research. I had been looking at e-readers for a while and basically decided on the NC as this seems to be the best device out there. Just about everything I have read is very positive toward the NC.

The fact that it is an Android device capable of being a full tablet was a huge selling point for me. Plus the fact that i am a gadget freak helps :smileyhappy:

I also couldn't believe how easy it was to set up, probably the easiest wireless device I have ever done.

I am anxiously awaiting the next updates from B&N that may unlock more of the potential of the NC. I have also gotten a lot of good info here on how to get the most out of it.

I am looking forward to may hours of fun with my new toy :smileyvery-happy:

"You are what you do when it counts" - The Masao
Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

Re: New Nook Color Owner here!

DennisC, I am so happy for you.

"The NOOKcolor Aficionado"
Wordsmith
jeanniepep
0 Kudos

Enjoy!!  You are going to LOVE playing with it!

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

Great post Dennis. Welcome to Nook color. I've had mine since the week of thanksgiving. Had a few bugs got past em. Love it. Does what its supposed to quite well

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

Welcome Dennis. Yes....it''s a good device with more fun stuff to come.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Grinchy1
0 Kudos

Hi, I have had mine since Christmas and I LOVE it.

www.redbubble.com/people/grinch
Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

Welcome to the fold Dennis. I love my nook color and all that it does.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Contributor
MunchkinD13
0 Kudos

Glad to hear someone had a good experience.  My start was rocky but just about all cleared up now.  Simply had a bad device.  Enjoy!

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Good to hear Munchkin. Unfortunately, like anything else --  and it especially seems to be true of things with silicon chips and electronic circuitry -- you can get a bad one right out of the box. But nice to see you are all set.

Inspired Correspondent
lopaka47
0 Kudos

Congrats! I actually started out with a Nook Classic at the beginning of December last year, but the appeal of the Nook Color proved to be so strong that I am now the proud owner of  both eReaders! :smileyhappy:

deemure
0 Kudos

Welcome and enjoy!  I just figured out how to get a movie on mine and watched The Princess Bride on it.  Super easy and the clarity is amazing.

I also got some great new wallpapers, learned how to take a screenshot, and have started to play more with mine, rather than just read.  These are just some of the things you can look forward to.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Frequent Contributor
chelle_belle
0 Kudos

Welcome! I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine !
Inspired Contributor
MrBanballow
0 Kudos

I got one this past weekend as well, much to the dismay of Cheshire, my Nook Classic. I hope the two can coexist peacefully, though Cheshire currently seems to be a bit jealous of the attentions being heaped on his younger sibling.

Currently reading: The Complete Sherlock Holmes Vol 1, Grimm's Fairy Tales
Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

MrBanballow wrote:

I got one this past weekend as well, much to the dismay of Cheshire, my Nook Classic. I hope the two can coexist peacefully, though Cheshire currently seems to be a bit jealous of the attentions being heaped on his younger sibling.

That's funny. I, too, have a nook 3G+wifi and the nook color. The nook color gets used here at home and for quick around-town trips.

The e-ink nook is my little traveler. We like to take short 2-3 day jaunts in hubby's little sports car with his car club. So the 3G+wifi goes on the road just because of the battery life, and the 3G, although I've not really had to use it.

You can still sync both units with your online library so both have all the books on them. Just be aware that if you archive a book on one, it automatically means it will be archived on the other unit, too. The units are matched to the online library and not the individual unit.

The only drawback to this is that if I'm reading a book and want to continue reading it, then make a note of the page number to continue on the travel nook. I haven't found a way to sync across pages on the nooks. The other option is to just read a different book on the traveler.

I wish we could give a name to the nook color like we can on the e-ink models. :smileysad:

Distinguished Wordsmith
Grinchy1
0 Kudos

How do you get movies on your NC??? Had mine since Christmas. Didn't know I could do that with my NC.

www.redbubble.com/people/grinch
Distinguished Correspondent
dgiznya
0 Kudos

Grinchy1

check out

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107571

this has the most detailed listing of how to do it.

DG

Someone once said "Ignorance is Bliss".
I have no idea if this is true, but I sure am happy!
Contributor
LadyKara
0 Kudos

:smileyhappy: I am also a new NC owner as of last Wednesday afternoon.  I am so excited about having it.  Absolutely love reading on it.  Need your help also.

How do you get the free books on Fridays?  I want to expand my library and try new authors.  Thought this would be an ideal way to do it.  Have a great deal to learn about the NookColor but am anxious to learn.  Plan to get one of the "How To" books as soon as possible.

Thanks for your help.

phoneboy
0 Kudos

@ LadyKara. The best way I have found is to type "Free Fridays" in the search bar on this site. I do that first thing friday morning.

Probably a better way out there. Hope someone posts it..:smileywink:

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Contributor
LadyKara
0 Kudos

Thank you!  I like simple myself.

Contributor
DennisC
0 Kudos

Thanks for the responses all!

It's good to see so many new owners and so much good information being shared.

I just love figuing out new gadgets

"You are what you do when it counts" - The Masao