Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
kkwood
0 Kudos

New Nook Color Update

I was in BN yesterday to look at the new tablet - the clerk there told me there is a new update for the nook color coming out soon that will make it almost like a tablet - do you know when that will be?

Frequent Contributor
MIM49
0 Kudos

Re: New Nook Color Update

"Sometime" in December.

Inspired Correspondent
jlhatch
0 Kudos

BN's official response is actually "before the end of the year." Technically that could mean this month (Nov.), but based on their track record, it will be at the last possible moment of what they announced.

Inspired Correspondent
Darcella
0 Kudos

clerk  in  my  B and  N  store  told   me  Nov.  30th.  I  figure  i  get it   whenever  it   comes  out, and  hold  off  on  that  Nook  Tablet..  although  it  looks and  sounds  great.. I  will   be  happy  with  what  i  have. :smileyhappy:

I try really hard to be a GLASS HALF FULL, kinda gal. :-)
Darcella
Correspondent
tuck229
0 Kudos

Nook clerk told me last night that they had been told NC 1.4 updates would start sometime during "Thanksgiving week"...so we shall see.  Not sure why he would make that up if he hadn't been told by someone higher up. 

Scribe
dfehling
0 Kudos

I put a shortcut for this link on my desktop so I can check for it every day. Not sure why I am so excited about it. I don't plan on ever using Hulu or Netflix. But, geek that I am, I still like to play with new things.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Software-Updates-NOOK-Color/379003190/

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Attributed to Groucho Marx
Frequent Contributor
LoganK
0 Kudos

dfehling wrote:

I put a shortcut for this link on my desktop so I can check for it every day. Not sure why I am so excited about it. I don't plan on ever using Hulu or Netflix. But, geek that I am, I still like to play with new things.

Hopefully you use your Nook to read, and the reading experience is significantly improved in 1.4.

The ability to see the number of pages left in the chapter and zoom images alone is enough to get excited, and it certainly doesn't stop there.

Inspired Correspondent
LarryinGa
0 Kudos

LoganK wrote:

dfehling wrote:

Hopefully you use your Nook to read, and the reading experience is significantly improved in 1.4.

The ability to see the number of pages left in the chapter and zoom images alone is enough to get excited, and it certainly doesn't stop there.

LoganK wrote:

dfehling wrote:

I was able to briefly check out a nt 1.4 at bn store today and discovered that books can be read in landscape mode. N button serves dual purpose i.e. no more on screen up arrow button. Everything else seems the same as 1.3 nc such ad web browser.
Life is wonderful!
Frequent Contributor
LoganK

LarryinGa wrote:
I was able to briefly check out a nt 1.4 at bn store today and discovered that books can be read in landscape mode. N button serves dual purpose i.e. no more on screen up arrow button. Everything else seems the same as 1.3 nc such ad web browser.

This is by no means comprehensive, but the new software allows you to modify word lookup to lookup any word in the dictionary, allows you to jump to a Google or Wikipedia search of the term, allows you to zoom images, supports multi-level table-of-contents, improves the text size range, shows pages remaining in chapter, allows you to jump to a specific page, lets you search your entire library, and (supposedly) improves battery life.

That's just off the top of my head. I'm sure I'm missing a few features.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Grinchy1
0 Kudos

I remeber the huge problems with the updates in the past, I have (knock on wood) have never had any trouble. Had my NC since last Christmas and will get the up date again. but I forget, is it better to take out your sd card before downloading the update???

www.redbubble.com/people/grinch