Reader 2
NookIt
0 Kudos

Re: New Nook Color - need case recommendations

P.S.  Oberon's cases for Kindle II and the original e-ink Nook also fit Nook Color.  Scored one of those off Ebay (a Kindle II case) and paid much less than their retail prices.  Not very common to see them for sale used though.  Once you get one, its easy to get spoiled.  :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

These are my favorite commercially-available cases right now.

http://www.padandquill.com/the-nookbook.html

It's a book-style binding with a wooden frame set in.  Very nicely done and has the advantage of not actually looking like an electronics case, and very reasonably priced at 50 bucks.

I wish I'd known these were available before I built my cases.  If I were doing it today, I'd buy one of these and then fit it with a magnetic closure.  I picked up a very nice 1/2" diameter polished steel magnet and mated it to a piece of metal on the outer cover for a very robust closure which I prefer over the moleskin-style closures. 

I also did some work with a stopcock and an angled piece of metal to get to a case that doesn't use an elastic band to hold the NC in place but lets me fasten it in and remove it. These look as if the people making them have a precision wordworking system and are able to make a very snug-fitting case. 

The book-style cases are able to stand up on their own in landscape mode. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Contributor
LynSue
0 Kudos

I can't seem to edit my other post.  The link I gave goes to the rooCase for the Kindle.  The Nook Color case is a bit more.  Still, worth the price!

http://www.amazon.com/rooCASE-Graphite-Leather-Adjustable-NOOKcolor/dp/B004GIKP2A/ref=sr_1_3?s=elect...

Contributor
Sayhibr
0 Kudos

got mine @ javoedge.com 

not leather, but nice, book style or flip style with built in stand.

Frequent Contributor
Origamist
0 Kudos

A little late to the party here, but I just wanted to throw in another vote for the Tuff-Luv Tri-Axis: http://www.amazon.com/Tuff-Luv-Tri-Axis-Veggie-Leather-Barnes/dp/B004MBYQLM/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics...

I have the one in purple and I absolutely adore it.  It cushions my nook more than any previous case I have owned, and I can watch movies in landscape and read in portrait all propped up on my desk.  Unlike other portrait-style cases, because it uses velcro to secure the "stand," I never worry about it falling over and it is quite secure.  I also like how my nook has a small velcro flap to make sure it stays put.  I had one of the JavoEdge memo-style cases previously and the thing that bothered me the most is how my nook could just slide out the top!

The purple looks great (and I would say the site does a good job at reproducing the color).  Shipping time was a little long b/c it is from the UK but other than that, awesome.

Contributor
thevideofan
0 Kudos

Thanks everyone for your input.  I think that I am going to wait for the Tasume cover from B&N.  I really need landscape stability and this looks like the best possible solution although I haven't seen it in action yet.  I will post my findings when it becomes available.

Contributor
Quizzle
0 Kudos

I think you've made a wise choice. I just want to add a plug for my favorite case for anyone who is still undecided. I have the Sullivan Easel Cover, which I love. The easel is sturdy, but the case isn't bulky. It works best in landscape mode, though. The easel will hold the NC in portrait mode, but you have to remove it from the case.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

The advert for this Sullivan Easel Cover is an example of BNs marketing department flat lying about the capability of the Nook.

The book being read in all shown views of this case is House Rules, the beginning of chapter 2, Emma. 

The main photo of the reader shows the Nook Color in landscape mode displaying that page in landscape mode. 

Emma is not a read to me book.  The stock NC cannot do this.

Feel free to save that first image and resize it to taste.  If I get fanboys claiming that BN has done no such thing, I hope someone with time will blow it up a bit and post it to photobucket so folks can see it.  I won't be able to do to for some time yet. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Contributor
Quizzle
0 Kudos

roustabout wrote:

The advert for this Sullivan Easel Cover is an example of BNs marketing department flat lying about the capability of the Nook.

The book being read in all shown views of this case is House Rules, the beginning of chapter 2, Emma. 

The main photo of the reader shows the Nook Color in landscape mode displaying that page in landscape mode. 

Emma is not a read to me book.  The stock NC cannot do this.

Feel free to save that first image and resize it to taste.  If I get fanboys claiming that BN has done no such thing, I hope someone with time will blow it up a bit and post it to photobucket so folks can see it.  I won't be able to do to for some time yet. 

Yes, you're right. I doubt anyone is going to argue, since the issue is known. It's mentioned in reviews on the B&N page and I've seen it noted on other sites. I knew about it before I bought the case, because the information is out there. Still, that doesn't negate the fact that the case is sturdy and it is best used in landscape mode, since you don't have to remove the device from the cover. Thanks for mentioning this other matter, though.

Inspired Contributor
Whyy42
0 Kudos

I really like the old m-edge lattitude covers for the early e-readers but the new Nook Color has a odd slick half-moon back where your had rests.

It feels really weird in my hand. I am still trying to get used to it.