Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
tricespencer
0 Kudos

New Nook release?

On the news this morning there was a short segment in the business news that there is a new Nook tablet being released this month on the 24th.

Did anyone else hear that?

Trice

Contributor
HeidiU
0 Kudos

Re: New Nook release?

I saw an article about it here: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/barnes-noble-to-unveil-new-e-reader-on-may-24-2011-05-04.

I thought there wasn't going to be a new tablet or hardware.  I'm majorly bummed about this.

New User
Former
0 Kudos

Can't know for certain until May 24th...but, speculation seems to be either a "nook 2", black and white reader with updated e-ink screen...or, more likely, a nookcolor with 3G and Honeycomb.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

HeidiU wrote:

I thought there wasn't going to be a new tablet or hardware.  I'm majorly bummed about this.

What would have made you think this?  Did you think B&N was going to close all its stores and go out of business?  As long as they're committed to digital books, there will be new hardware.

I think it's highly unlikely that this will be a new LCD device.  NOOKColor is still barely functional - per these forums - so I doubt that they've managed to come up with a second one.

It's more likely that it's a stripped down, budget eink device to undercut pricing on the ad-supported Kindle, maybe even coming in under $99 - "NOOK Lite."  Before this announcement, I'd started to believe the eink platform was being abandoned - but there is no way B&N is ready to announced more LCD hardware, leaving eink as the only likely possibility.  Nor would they have launced the "Read Forever" campaign, spending $$$ advancing NOOKColor if they were going to announce its obsolescence in three weeks.

I'd like to see Mirasol - a hybrid of NOOK and NOOKColor as a NOOK 2.  Color in ebooks, color book covers, basic browsing - eink refresh rate is far too slow to actually browse, even though there is a browser, color and animation in Chess, crosswords and/or Scrabble making it to NOOK 2.  No app store, better document handling capabilities.  This wouldn't be budget-friendly and right now, consumers want budget-friendly, so I lean toward NOOK Lite.

This was posted last evening and is already being discussed:  http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-General-Discussion/May-24-announcement-launch-new-e...

Inspired Contributor
Nerdymamaw
0 Kudos

According to Dow Jones News, at a stockholder meeting, B&N announced they will announce a forthcoming ereader on May 24. Speculation is that it will run the Honeycomb OS. I would also imagine it will also have a larger and faster processor and a larger price. Where will that leave all of us who are already in love with our NC's but want it to be a fully functioning ipad? I have just about had it with B&N. Just a few weeks after I purchased my first Nook, they came out with the Nook Color, so I sold the first one on eBay and got a NC, which I have had for several months now . Don't think I can afford a third Nook so I guess I will be stuck with one which will soon be obsolete.
Wordsmith
NookGuy

In any event, no reason to be bummed out. Technology constantly changes - you can buy the latest and greatest laptop from a company, and the next day they introduce a new model! It's the way things go in the tech world.

The announcement is a good thing - it shows that Barnes and Noble is not going to rest on its laurels with the Nook Color and will be aggressively pursuing the market.

Contributor
Eluse

B&N have only disclosed that they will make a new e-reader announcement on 5/24. Anything beyond that is only speculation.

Any good company will continue to move forward. Standing still in today's technological business invironment is suicide, they must keep moving forward. I don't want my NC to be obsolete, and I can't afford a newe one, but I apluad thier vision and desire to not rest where they are.

Contributor
BCBronco19
0 Kudos

If it's a new  upgraded NC, I'm thrilled. I liked my NC, but I sold my NC on Ebay, as I really wanted a tablet designed to work with Honeycomb. If so, great, if not, I'll keep my money and see what the market brings over the next few months.

Correspondent
retiefBD
0 Kudos

BCBronco19 wrote:

If it's a new  upgraded NC, I'm thrilled. I liked my NC, but I sold my NC on Ebay, as I really wanted a tablet designed to work with Honeycomb. If so, great, if not, I'll keep my money and see what the market brings over the next few months.

As I noted in the other thread on this subject, I am currently running Honeycomb off of the internal card, side-by-side with Nook 1.2.  No problem at all running Honeycomb on the current hardware.  Will new hardware have more hardware features?  Sure, but if I need more power than the Nook I have, I always have Netbook and Laptop options as well.

Not a thing wrong with the tablet properties of the NC for Honeycomb, what did you think the issues are/were that caused to sell your NC?

Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259

Nerdymamaw wrote:
B&N announced they will announce a forthcoming ereader on May 24.
Yes.  An e-reader.
Speculation is that it will run the Honeycomb OS.
Wow.  Speculation, eh?  If it's speculation you want, I have some for you.  I speculate that it will have a teleportation device, that can transport you to any place, or time or your choosing.  :smileyhappy:
Oh, and it will be FREE, if you buy a 2-year subscription to Overreactionaries Anonymous, the magazine for readers who go berserk the minute they hear anything they might not like.
I would also imagine it will also have a larger and faster processor and a larger price.
Or, one could imagine exactly the opposite: that it will have a smaller and slower processor, and a lower price.  Or any number of variations.
Where will that leave all of us who are already in love with our NC's but want it to be a fully functioning ipad?
The same place you're already at I guess.  Wishing you had bought an iPad.
I have just about had it with B&N. Just a few weeks after I purchased my first Nook, they came out with the Nook Color, so I sold the first one on eBay and got a NC, which I have had for several months now . Don't think I can afford a third Nook so I guess I will be stuck with one which will soon be obsolete.
Or perhaps the one you have will NOT become obsolete.  And you will have gotten upset for nothing.  And gotten others upset as well.  Maybe you could wait until you find out what it actually is that they're introducing, before you get completely bent out of shape and outraged at B&N?
As one insightful poster (Ya_Ya) already suggested, it's far more likely to be a stripped down, budget option.  Basically their current B&W Nook, but without the color panel at the bottom, would be my guess.  That they can sell for less, possibly even at the "magic" price point of "less than 100 dollars", with advertising.  (aka, $99.99)  And undercut Amazon's latest ad-supported option.
Let's not go nuts, people.  Bananas, maybe,  But not nuts.  :smileyvery-happy:
- Mark

Distinguished Correspondent
Wild_images

Wow - Was that really called for?

Perhaps you felt you needed to set him straight, for whatever reason you deemed he needed to be set that way, but you sure told him.   

In light of all the recent threads, my suggestion is that the "regulars" work extra hard to drive away all the new people and anyone else they don't agree with.   Then there wont be any need for moderation on this forum.  

Either that, or you guys need to lighten up.   

Contributor
BCBronco19
0 Kudos

Made the WIFI unstable.

Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT

Thank you Mark,   so nice to hear the voice of reason among all the Chicken Little sky is falling posts.

http://quiltinharmony.blogspot.com/
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Mark_OB1 wrote:

As one insightful poster (Ya_Ya) already suggested, it's far more likely to be a stripped down, budget option.  Basically their current B&W Nook, but without the color panel at the bottom, would be my guess.  That they can sell for less, possibly even at the "magic" price point of "less than 100 dollars", with advertising.  (aka, $99.99)  And undercut Amazon's latest ad-supported option.

I can't take credit for the idea, but I'm not sure I should attribute it to its originator...  He knows who he is, though.  I do think that if it is one like the described, it will definitely be touchscreen and Pearl.

I'm still hoping for a Mirasol NOOK 2, but I'm not actually hopeful, if that makes sense.

Inspired Contributor
RoseBaby

I'm happy with my NC as is and it does all that I need it to do so I am not concerned about 'missing out' on the next version.  Besides this is only the announcement -- the actual device may be scheduled for the end of year holiday shopfest or even next year.  Of course I was happy with my e-ink nook until hubby bought me the color.  My nook is a luxury.  I don't, strictly speaking, need it.  Having a nicer device come out does not hurt me in any way.  Otherwise I would be really mad at the homebuilders who made that house at the end of our road that is way nicer than the one we bought.  And the car manufacturers who upgraded the model that I bought.  Whatever they come out with I can buy if I want or not but it does not change my satisfaction with what I have.  Unless they price a better device at a lower price I don't see how it can upset me.  I'd be really mad if they come out with a $99 ad free fully functioning tablet.

Inspired Correspondent
Mosier42
0 Kudos

Do we really think they could get a Mirasol display in at under $100?  I can't see them upgrading their eInk line without being able to be competitive with the Kindle hardware, which would need to land them in the $99-$149 range.  Pearl seems more likely, although I'm not sure it's a big enough upgrade to warrant some major announcement (granted this was discovered through stock filings so it might just as well be a way to drump up their stock prices and support for their CEO on the board).

As for eInk being dead or abandoned as was mentioned on either this thread or the other discussing the announcement on the 24th, I have both a NC and the original Nook3G.  I far prefer reading books on the Nook3G just as the periodical/magazine/news experience on the NC is far superior (especially with Pulse).  It's not that I haven't read novels on the NC, I do when I don't want to carry both devices around, but if I'm at home and want to read a book I go for the 3G model every time.

Mark_OB1

Wild_images wrote:

> Wow - Was that really called for? <

??  Well, sure it was.  Idle and uninformed speculation was running rampant, and I thought I'd interject a bit of levity, while defusing some of Nerdymamaw's concerns.

> Perhaps you felt you needed to set him straight, for whatever reason you deemed he needed to be set that way, but you sure told him. <

I think some people take offense, when none is intended.  And I thought the poster was female (mamaw), but your comment did clue me in to the poster being new here, only a couple weeks.  So in light of that, I'd like to offer my apologies to Nerdymamaw if my post offended you in any way.  It wasn't intended to do so.

> In light of all the recent threads, my suggestion is that the "regulars" work extra hard to drive away all the new people and anyone else they don't agree with. <

Thanks for letting us know that posts are only welcome if they agree with previous comments.  Perhaps if you work "extra hard", you can drive away all the regulars.  Then all that will be left will be folks with questions, and none with answers.  Since you dumped your NC and got the GalaxyTab, perhaps that is your intention.

> Then there wont be any need for moderation on this forum. <

Not to worry, since we have you keeping a watchful eye on things.

> Either that, or you guys need to lighten up. <

Geez, if I get any lighter, I'll float away.  :smileywink:

- Mark

Mark_OB1

[ Edited ]
[Let's try this again, without the humor...]
Nerdymamaw wrote:
> B&N announced they will announce a forthcoming ereader on May 24. <
Yes.  They announced an e-reader, but not a tablet.  Think small.
> Speculation is that it will run the Honeycomb OS. <
Not to worry.  You can feel comfortable knowing that the NOOKcolor you already own is fully capable of running Honeycomb.  So when HC itself is ready, and B&N decides to offer it, you won't need any new hardware to run it.  (Some experimenters are already running Honeycomb on their NC's, but generally prefer Froyo or Gingerbread as being more stable.)
> I would also imagine it will also have a larger and faster processor and a larger price. <
Anything is possible, but it's highly unlikely at this stage that B&N is thinking bigger, faster, or more expensive.  They may eventually offer an enhanced NookColor2 at some point (perhaps November again), but the price won't likely change.  In that scenario, the price of the original NC would possibly drop to something around $200.
The probability for their upcoming announcement is something cheaper, specifically to compete with Amazon.  While the b&w Nook is priced at $149, Amazon has a unit at $139, and only $119 with ad-support.  If B&N can save costs by removing the 2nd (color) screen from their Nook, they'll be able to compete better by offering a cheaper option.  They'll likely want to shoot for $129/$109, or even $119/$99.  It's probably not even something you'll be interested in, but hopefully lots of new readers will be attracted by the low pricepoint.
> Where will that leave all of us who are already in love with our NC's but want it to be a fully functioning ipad? <
If you're in love with your NC, then you're in good company.  Many here share that appreciation for what it offers at a very affordable price.  However, the NC will never be a fully-functioning tablet, much less an iPad, and the reason is simply software support. 
By the time the iPad had been out for 6 months, it had over 10,000 tablet-specific apps for it (it now has >75,000).  Now that the NC has been out for 6 months, it has 135 apps for it, and almost none of them are tablet-specific*.  The iPad has 22,000 developers writing apps for it.  The NOOKcolor currently has ~60. 
Since B&N has publically stated that they intend to keep the selection of apps small (I will dig up the quote, if you like), and are only accepting existing apps from developers porting them over from Android (or another mobile platform), expecting a lot more will only result in frustration.  The kind of frustration that drove Wild_Images away.  :smileysad: 
He knows what the NC is capable of, but B&N is not going there.  Others share that frustration, but they've circumvented it by unlocking their NCs (called 'rooting') which allows them to run a large number of apps in the Android Market.  In some sense, they actually have things better than the iPad, because things are much more open.  But the quality and depth of apps is generally not as high (yet).  With many more Android tablets coming out this summer, that will begin to shift.
> I have just about had it with B&N. Just a few weeks after I purchased my first Nook, they came out with the Nook Color, so I sold the first one on eBay and got a NC, which I have had for several months now . Don't think I can afford a third Nook so I guess I will be stuck with one which will soon be obsolete. <
I honestly don't think you have anything to worry about.  But worrying prematurely will not do you (or anyone else) any good in any event.  Why get upset about something that MIGHT happen, but likely won't?  Better to simply wait and see.
That's really all I was trying to encourage with my comedy routine.  Life has enough real things to get upset about, without getting upset about imaginary things.
- Mark
* [Actually, I just realized that's a bit of an exaggeration.  There are a couple apps ported from the iPad that are enhanced books (Peter Rabbit, and the Going to Bed Book), and also the UNO game... all of which are tablet-oriented.  Since I haven't examined every app closely, there may be a few more.  But the vast majority are ported phone apps.]
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Mosier42 wrote:

Do we really think they could get a Mirasol display in at under $100?  I can't see them upgrading their eInk line without being able to be competitive with the Kindle hardware, which would need to land them in the $99-$149 range.  Pearl seems more likely, although I'm not sure it's a big enough upgrade to warrant some major announcement (granted this was discovered through stock filings so it might just as well be a way to drump up their stock prices and support for their CEO on the board).

No, which is why we all presumed, Pearl, no LCD, full eink touchscreen at a pricepoint nearing the $114 ad-supported Kindle - in short, NOOK Lite.

All I said was that I, personally, hoped that it was actually a Mirasol NOOK 2 and that that wouldn't be budget-friendly which is what consumers seem to want right now. So I wasn't particularly hopeful.

Wordsmith
mariel9898
0 Kudos

Mark was totally in line. Speculation is fine, but it should be based on facts not on a slippery slope run away emotional reaction.

I could write a very long post, but here is my speculation based on the facts as I know them:

An update to the NC, especially to Honeycomb, would be a huge thing. It's not news that would be hidden in an 8-K. The fact that it was disclosed in an 8-K is probably just CYA in case it's a "market mover" but potential market movers generally receive much more public disclosure from the company. The 8-K states "In a meeting with investor analysts on May 4, 2011, Barnes & Noble, Inc. (the "Company") indicated it expects to make an announcement on May 24, 2011 regarding the launch of a new eReader device."

My best speculation is an e-ink device, possibly color but maybe not, at a low price point. Color is possible, but e-ink Pearl is more likely.

Decided to search before posting and it seems CNET agrees:

http://news.cnet.com/new-nook-coming-soon-most-likely-e-ink-model/8301-17938_105-20059970-1.html