Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
ask76

New apps available - 181 available!

Yesterday, the app count was 161. Now it's 181.

One's that I never noticed before (count may be off):

-View a Clue: Spencer Goes to School

-View a Clue: Zara's Parade of Friends

-Twas the Night 3D Before Christmas The Experience

-Three Little Pigs

-The Three Little Pigs

-The New Potty (Little Critter)

-The New Baby (Little Critter)

-The Lorax (Dr Seuss)

-The Cat in The Hat (Dr Seuss)

-The Berenatain Bears Say Their Prayers

-The Berenstain Bears Play a Good Game

-The Berenstain Bears Love Their Neighbors

-The Berenstain Bears Learn to Share

-The Berenstain Bears Go To Sunday School

-The Berenstain Bears: God Loves You

-The Berenstain Bears Give Thanks

-The Berenstain Bears Faithful Friends

-The Berenstain Bears Do Their Best

-The Berenstain Bears Discover God's Creation

-The Berenstain Bears Christmas Tree

-The Berenstain Bears and the Golden Rule

-The Berenstain Bears and the Gift of Courage

-The Berenstain Bears and a Job Well Done

Lots of kids apps which is fine but where are some of the adult apps????

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos

Re: New apps available - 181 available!

Thank you!

The apps not on the NOOK Apps List I updated tonight (there were 166 earlier) are:

Most of the others have been there for a while.

I'll update my list in the morning. :smileyhappy:

Contributor
summerq4
0 Kudos

There's another new one called Grow by EpixPixel...looks kind of fun!

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

Oh to be 5 yrs old  again.

Frequent Contributor
Alcoholcenter
0 Kudos

Think young, VERY young :smileytongue: I enjoy playing games with my 3 year old grandaughter. :smileysurprised:

Wordsmith
Sarah3973

ask76 wrote:

Yesterday, the app count was 161. Now it's 181.

One's that I never noticed before (count may be off):

-View a Clue: Spencer Goes to School

-View a Clue: Zara's Parade of Friends

-Twas the Night 3D Before Christmas The Experience

-Three Little Pigs

-The Three Little Pigs

-The New Potty (Little Critter)

-The New Baby (Little Critter)

-The Lorax (Dr Seuss)

-The Cat in The Hat (Dr Seuss)

-The Berenatain Bears Say Their Prayers

I know..........can we please have some more age appropriate apps for adults??  Not all of us have children and I bet even those of us that do would like to see some more apps for adults.

Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book. ~Author Unknown
Inspired Correspondent
FredOak3

Seriously if you going to have apps, how about some apps we might actually use!

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy

HEH B&N!!!

Even the kids would benefit from a decent file manager. I know most kids don't want to see the book covers and wall paper in the slide show.  :smileywink:

and lets get that patch for the MP4 problem out there.My daughter said it was almost funny how all my movies play like an old Kung foo movie... :smileyvery-happy:

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,947

Yeah! Because there isn't anything I want I'm going to complain and whine and go buy a Kindle!

/snark

Contributor
SenorBlues

Sarah3973 wrote:

I know..........can we please have some more age appropriate apps for adults??  Not all of us have children and I bet even those of us that do would like to see some more apps for adults.

+1   Enough of the kiddie apps and games (for now). 

Hey B&N, please support all of your user-base by adding apps or features that add to the usefulness and productivity of the NC.  It's starting to look like B&N wants to position it just as a toy for kids and parents.

flyingtoastr

I'm gonna let you guys in on a secret.

BN doesn't program the apps. If you want "adult" apps contact "adult" app developers and tell them you want them on NOOKcolor.

Distinguished Correspondent
ukscone

flyingtoastr wrote:

BN doesn't program the apps. If you want "adult" apps contact "adult" app developers and tell them you want them on NOOKcolor.

but they approve the apps AND THE DEVELOPERS so they are in control of what is available and when it becomes available. Although I could write the apps I want I won't pass their requirements as i'm a foreigner and also refuse to give them my SSN/TAX ID because they don't need it and they are not supposed to have it anyway. I can't even write the app for my personal use if I wanted to because you can't sideload apps. So they are responsible for the derth of useful adult apps.

Frequent Contributor
MIM49
0 Kudos

I don't understand why books are considered Apps. Cookbook, Kid book, whatever--why an App and not just a book that a buy from BN like any other book.

ukscone
0 Kudos

MIM49 wrote:

I don't understand why books are considered Apps. Cookbook, Kid book, whatever--why an App and not just a book that a buy from BN like any other book.

i would assume (but we all know what assume means) that it's because they use flash or something and that you couldn't buy it as a deadtree version.

Wordsmith
kingskidjan
0 Kudos

ukscone wrote:

flyingtoastr wrote:

but they approve the apps AND THE DEVELOPERS so they are in control of what is available and when it becomes available. Although I could write the apps I want I won't pass their requirements as i'm a foreigner and also refuse to give them my SSN/TAX ID because they don't need it and they are not supposed to have it anyway. I can't even write the app for my personal use if I wanted to because you can't sideload apps. So they are responsible for the derth of useful adult apps.

Actually, if they publish your apps and you get paid by them, they do need your ssn/tax id to send you a tax form.  Granted they probably don't need it up front, but why waste a lot of paperwork and time after the fact.  I'm sure there are a lot of independent developers out there who aren't set up as "businesses" who would like to be considered.  However, there are also a lot of people out there causing viruses and other problems and B&N is merely trying to vet out the bad/unworkable apps from the good.

ukscone

kingskidjan wrote:

ukscone wrote:

flyingtoastr wrote:

Actually, if they publish your apps and you get paid by them, they do need your ssn/tax id to send you a tax form.  Granted they probably don't need it up front, but why waste a lot of paperwork and time after the fact.  I'm sure there are a lot of independent developers out there who aren't set up as "businesses" who would like to be considered.  However, there are also a lot of people out there causing viruses and other problems and B&N is merely trying to vet out the bad/unworkable apps from the good.

If i am not charging then they don't need my SSN and actually it's against the law for them to ask for it as they are not my employers or the governement. (this is another hobby horse of mine). and I have enough history in the computer industry for them to be able to vet me (at least under my real real name) without asking for something that they have no right to have.

Frequent Contributor
momof3redheads

I also agree with wanting more apps related to adults.  My kids are older and they dont use my NookColor.  Its basically just mine so alot of the new apps are useless for me...

flyingtoastr

ukscone wrote:

If i am not charging then they don't need my SSN and actually it's against the law for them to ask for it as they are not my employers or the governement. (this is another hobby horse of mine). and I have enough history in the computer industry for them to be able to vet me (at least under my real real name) without asking for something that they have no right to have.

Intresting how the hospital needs my SSID whenever I go in. Last I checked they're not the government or my employeer.

tenagail
0 Kudos

When I apply for jobs, at some point in the application process, I am required to give my ss#, before I am an employee.
ukscone

They don't need it and they are not entitled to it unless you are being treated under medicare or medicaid and even then you should have been issued a medicaid/care card with a number on it BUT americans have got used to accepting that people who ask for your SSN are entitled to it and that is just NOT true.

I actually just checked to see if it was illegal and they did fail to pass the law at the time that the SSA came into being but they still state that the card is not to be used for identification and that you should only give it to the governement.

http://cpsr.org/prevsite/cpsr/privacy/ssn/ssn.faq.html/