Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
NookGuy
0 Kudos

Re: New users, Please read

I also saw nothing wrong with phoneboy's post. Too many times, people get on this forum and post a question that is 1) prominently answered in the manual and 2) asked and answered here a hundred times. I will sometimes answer a question like that but will also point out that if the OP typed in their problem in the Search box, they could find a lot of posts dealing with their issue.While it's true that some people may be so frustrated they will just post a question without looking around the forum, other times it is apparent that they are just wondering about an issue and make absolutely no effort to browse the forums or type a few words into the Search box.

I think that pointing out to new users that there is a forum Search function is a good thing.

Inspired Contributor
jimmy1

[ Edited ]

ToddK, there are several long threads on this board about how rooting talk should not be allowed because it might offend B&N or point out the shortcomings of our Nooks.

And no where does this say this is a NOOKcolor "fan" fourm.....it says General Discussion!!

Imagine you are a new owner and you have just spent 3 hours trying to get some function to work...you discover this fourm, ask your question and your reply is....."Did you use the search function or did you read the manual" or did you buy an additional book?????

Enough said, I won't be back to this thread.  It needs to die a natural death.

You laugh at me because I am different, I laugh at you because you are all the same.

Running MIUI 2.4.6
Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

NookGuy wrote:

I also saw nothing wrong with phoneboy's post. Too many times, people get on this forum and post a question that is 1) prominently answered in the manual and 2) asked and answered here a hundred times. I will sometimes answer a question like that but will also point out that if the OP typed in their problem in the Search box, they could find a lot of posts dealing with their issue.While it's true that some people may be so frustrated they will just post a question without looking around the forum, other times it is apparent that they are just wondering about an issue and make absolutely no effort to browse the forums or type a few words into the Search box.

I think that pointing out to new users that there is a forum Search function is a good thing.

I didn't see anything wrong with phoneboy's post either.  It was an attempt to be helpful, as shown by the use of :smileyhappy:s. 

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff

[ Edited ]

Not sure what the issue is, here.  Nuthin' wrong with phoneboy's original post, it essentially speaks of common "netiquette."  Every forum is different, but they are all even more similar, and the same questions get asked on any forum.  In most forums, these questions would be consolidated and "stickied" to the top of the forum, but we seem to be running low on moderators. :smileysurprised:

So, ask questions, but remember that your question has probably been answered before and a little searching goes a long way.  But, if you can't find the answer, or it's unclear, or the search results are simply overwhelming, by all means ask your question!   And we'll try to ignore the gruff ones here!  :smileyvery-happy:

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

Jimmy and anyone else that took offence to my OP? I am sorry. My intent was to offer a possible solution for people having problems. If the poster doesn't mind waiting,sometimes an hour + for an answ , no worry. I think if you look around in here you will find plenty of people willing to help. As I said b4. I always take a crack at answering after suggesting the manual/search. Ya know "Its always easier to help those willing to help themselves" If this quote does not apply then no reason to be offended....:smileyhappy:
Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Wordsmith
Tweedledee

@yocalif

COLH (cranky old lady here) - and I have earned that,  close to my dotage at this point, but, have learned everything I can about computers, devices and for that matter networking.  I was using age as an example only, if you took offense, oh well.

I have many friends that are my age, older & younger that can not make heads or tails of these things, luckily.....you and I can, and the example was not meant to offend it was an "example".  Nothing more, nothing less, could have used women, men or for that matter donkey's as an example......

I took offense at the premise that we as a group, as it was less than subutly inferred, would pick and choose who we helped and the premise that there was some specific formula that would be applied.  The post that I wrote was a gentle as  possible to point out that we need to be circumspect as regards the fact that there are vast demographics being serviced by this "self help" board. 

Frankly common curtesy and civility go a long ways -  that original post was viewed as neither.

No one see B&N up here do they?  I sure as heck don't.  The post was tacky as it was originally put forth and multiple reponses indicated that more than just one of us was "off put".

"Nuf said".

"It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this."
Bertrand Russell
phoneboy
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Seems you and I argree. People sould not jump to conclusions as far as what they think the OPs intent was/is.  Lots of touchy people in the world. Forgive n forget, Move forward, Get over it,Talley hoe n all that.

Everyone have a great day. ** I'm suposed to be working, not surfing  :smileytongue: )

Correspondent
AnnaKuz
0 Kudos

Sorry - flash cannot be downloaded to the NC. You would have to "root it" - search on the forum, lots of info to sort through about both flash and rooting. I just posted a "cry for help" regarding some clarification regarding Honeycomb...

No smiley....

Anna

Bibliophile
Jenniisme

dparrothead1 wrote:

I'm not going to be drawn into a five page discussion of what the OP meant or did not mean.  I do know that just because you use smileys does not mean you are not being condecending.

I can be one sarcastic sob and smile the whole time I'm doing it. 

We all have the option, if we think a question or a thread is redundant, of not reading the thread or responding to it.

Are we twins?

Wordsmith
Sardonicus
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

dparrothead1 wrote:

We all have the option, if we think a question or a thread is redundant, of not reading the thread or responding to it. 

That approach certainly makes a lot more sense than attempting behavior modification of strangers on a message board.:smileyindifferent:

The people who live in a golden age usually go around complaining how yellow everything looks.

- Randall Jarrell

phoneboy

Sardonicus wrote:

dparrothead1 wrote:

That approach certainly makes a lot more sense than attempting behavior modification of strangers on a message board.:smileyindifferent:

Not responding is the better approach.  Good to know...:smileyvery-happy:

Contributor
elAmigo
0 Kudos

NC uses And 2.1.    Flash needs And 2.2. (Froyo)  So ...in order to use Flash 10.1 you must get Froyo 2.2 on the NC as its OS.   Yes..the other reply was correct...you must root the NC to at least get Nookie Froyo  (2.2)  or root to Honeycomb (3.0)  Just Google Root HC to Froyo or Honeycomb. Be aware that the root can get tricky.....so buckle up and go for it!

Wordsmith
Sardonicus
0 Kudos

phoneboy wrote:

Not responding is the better approach.  Good to know...:smileyvery-happy:

<sigh>:smileyindifferent:

Carry on, Phoneboy.  Carry on.

:smileyhappy:

The people who live in a golden age usually go around complaining how yellow everything looks.

- Randall Jarrell

Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif

jimmy1 said: 

And no where does this say this is a NOOKcolor "fan" fourm.....it says General Discussion!!

Just because the local bar only has a sign on the building "Jim's Brew and Drink", and you go inside, all you see is customers wearing biker jackets, Harley Davidson, Hells Angel, Mongols, that sign doesn't say Biker Bar.  You go there night after night, and its all bikers,  it's a biker bar, it doesn't matter what the sign says.

Use your head this is a B&N Nookcolor forum, who do you think comes here daily and repeatedly posts,  kindle lovers?  You go to that bar and outside is all Harley Davidson bikes and you start mouthing off how great a Yamaha is, your going to get your butt kicked.

Scribe
03FLHT2
0 Kudos

yocalif,  that last line was crying funny.  Having Ridden Harley's for the better part of 40+ years, I have seen that type many times.  

Contributor
PhilDroid

You know there is something amusing about people who own an e-reader complaining about being expected to read the user guide.

Inspired Correspondent
Niteryder

I seriously doubt that you will see HA's and Mongrols in the same bar, without the sound of gunfire, I was in Laughlin in 04.

"Keep me, Protect me, Share me, and I Will Live Forever"
From the Kodak Gallery, A powerful & Moving Commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdWwqAI6x9A
Inspired Contributor
jimmy1
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'm sure that this is what you are talking about that this forum should have.....but it doesn't. 

And if you weren't so busy flaming new members, I'm sure one of you folks that know everything about the NC would have pointed it out to newbies.....

http://www.nooktalk.net/nook-faq/nookcolor-faq.html

You laugh at me because I am different, I laugh at you because you are all the same.

Running MIUI 2.4.6
Inspired Correspondent
Niteryder
0 Kudos

Excellent site Jimmy1, LOTS of useful information, lots of tutorials a very nice tutorial to D/L and save YouTube Videos to the NC. Thanks for the heads up!

PS- Very comprehensive FAQ/How to/Tutorial sections, certainly worth a look, I learned a few things in the 10 minutes I was there.

"Keep me, Protect me, Share me, and I Will Live Forever"
From the Kodak Gallery, A powerful & Moving Commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdWwqAI6x9A
Contributor
Timonjkl

Tweedledee wrote:

@NoOneInParticular

Another one that I will live to regret.....

This post is kind of tacky - there are multiple demographics represented on these boards and in these threads.

Having said that, picture if you can an individual in their 50's or 60's trying to make heads and tails of the, RTFM concept. 

The manuals are great if you have spent a whole bunch of time with some of the technical language that is being used to connect and complete to the action explained. Granted It is second nature to the technically savvy, and one then would think that it was to all.

Even worse if the individual has one computer, their 20 something computer savvy offspring set up for them, with direct training as to which item to click......to get the desired results, i.e... Word, IE Explorer, Outlook (lessons on how to create a new e-mail, send and received included), etc.... 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not to be age sensitive but people in their 50 and early 60 s are the ones who invented this internet and a lot of the teck that the 20 something are playing games on and still don't know how to use. The 30 and 40 year olds are the new techies

sorry to get off track but I believe that everyone's question is valid and needs to be answered even if its been answered before. Maybe something new has been uncovered since that original post was made new update new workaround fresh minds. i feel the search in here can be a hindrance at times to new ideas to fix problems. Yet sometimes the questions do get a bit repetitive :smileysurprised: