Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Apps Cost Comparision

Knowledge70 wrote:

Nallia wrote:

V1 Golf Premium Unlocker – V1 Sports

NOOK: $2.99

Android: $2.99

There is now also a FREE (lite) version of this in the NC app store.

Thanks for noticing!  It wasn't there this morning.  :smileyhappy:

Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259
0 Kudos

Wow.  Lots of new traffic here.

Thanks very much, Nallia.  This is a most valuable service.

- Mark

Distinguished Correspondent
CB2010
0 Kudos

Yes, thanks very much indeed Nallia!

Suggestions to the Nook Programmers: I went through the list on my nook. Not only would it be nice if the sort by date worked, but would it be too much to ask to start putting them in categories? Like: Kids, Games, Utilities, Language, etc. At this point the seach provided at the bottom isn't going to help much unless you know which app you're looking for. It also looks like they're expanding rapidly (a good thing), but some look very repetitive (like the Archie Comic ones or all the foreign phrase apps.)

I also wish you had the option to buy them online like you can books and everything else.

Inspired Correspondent
Science_man
0 Kudos

You can already break down by category (kids, utilities,...) now.

It'd be nice if the "date" search actually worked (right now it doesn't work , there's no rhyme or reason to how it sorts the dates)

Correspondent
SRay
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Someone on another forum said the dates on which they are sorted are the original application release dates, not the dates that they were added to the B&N store. I did not verify this, but it seems plausible. On the other hand, it would be much more useful to have them be able to be sorted by when they were added to the B&N store, so we could check back every so often and immediately see the new (to the B&N store) apps.

Contributor
Blade21292

When I sort them by date, the become reverse alphabetical.

Mark_OB1
0 Kudos

chuck4prez wrote:
Nallia, out of respect for you and all the effort you have put in to this incredibly usefull thread, I humbly ask: ...

Dude!  You forgot to genuflect!  (sp?)  :smileyvery-happy: 

j/k

- Mark

Inspired Wordsmith
chuck4prez
0 Kudos

Mark_OB1 wrote:

chuck4prez wrote:
Nallia, out of respect for you and all the effort you have put in to this incredibly usefull thread, I humbly ask: ...

Dude!  You forgot to genuflect!  (sp?)  :smileyvery-happy: 

j/k

- Mark

It was implied. BTW, you spelt it right.
Wordsmith
mariel9898
0 Kudos

I'm not 100% sure of this so please correct if I'm wrong but here goes.

When you sign in to the Android market, on a PC, your rooted NC or your phone, you only see apps that work with your device. I know this is not 100% perfect, but that's how it's supposed to work. Having said that, are the apps that are listed as not being in the Android Market really not available at all on the Market or do they just not work with with your devices?

Nallia
0 Kudos

I used the market from my computer, and my Droid X. It's possible that they just don't show up for either, but i think it's unlikely. But if anyone films that any of the apps I couldn't find are in the, please post them here. I do the best I can but I'm not infallible. :smileyhappy:
Mark_OB1
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Nallia wrote:
I used the market from my computer, and my Droid X. It's possible that they just don't show up for either, but i think it's unlikely.

An individual device, like your Droid, will always filter based on it's device capabilities or feature-list.  This is based on Elements defined in the Manifest for each App, as well as other factors, such as what country you're in, what rev of Android you're running, etc.  Anything not matching those filtering characteristics will not be shown in the Market while on that device.

However, if you're scanning through the Market on Google's web-site (at least if you haven't signed in), it doesn't have any knowledge about what device you may have or want to run on.  So (theoretically, at least) it should show you everything.  (Though since it gets some location info from your browser, it may well still filter out by Country Code.)

- Mark

Nallia
0 Kudos

Good points.  :smileyhappy:  I started on my phone because it was the first place I thought to look, but it quickly became tedious ging abck anf forth from it to my laptop.  So I started using the online app market through my laptop.  I never signed in.  I tried to make ther searches as accurate as possible, but I always wonder if I missed something anyway.

Mark_OB1
0 Kudos

Nallia wrote:

So I started using the online app market through my laptop.  I never signed in.  I tried to make ther searches as accurate as possible, but I always wonder if I missed something anyway.

I can't say definitely either, but I did go through a lot of those items N/A on the A-Market, and spent some time trying to find them.  I finally gave up after a while, since I kept coming up empty. :smileyhappy:  Since, for reasons I don't really understand, the web Marketplace doesn't always find partial matches (?), I went so far as to do look ups by Developer, and then follow the links back to their websites, before deciding it wasn't available on Android.

I did find one or two somewhat close hits, e.g. stuff like Tipitap has:

- My First Zoo: Sights and Sounds, on the NOOKcolor

- Toddler Tapping Zoo: Pics and Sound, on the A-Market

But I had no idea if they were the same with different names, so I wrote them off.  In any event, even if it's not perfect I suspect your list is quite accurate. 

I did find a few available on the iDevice platform you hadn't made note of.  But you weren't attempting to cover that, so I didn't consider it relevant, though I added them to my own list.

- Mark

Nallia
0 Kudos

Yeah, I didn't lool up anything in the iTunes store because it doesn't pertain to Android devices.  When I have some time I'll go through the Amazon Market and see how many are there s well and what the prices are.  :smileyhappy:

Nallia
0 Kudos

May 23, 2011

New in Market:

Everywhere Exercise – EvEx – Everywhere Exercise

NOOK: $2.99

Android: $2.99

V1 Golf for Android

NOOK: FREE

Android: FREE

Back in Market:

GeoBee Challenge - National Geographic Society

NOOK: $2.99 - FREE FOR LIMITED TIME

Android: $2.99 - FREE FOR LIMITED TIME

Distinguished Wordsmith
rbentley101
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@ Nilla,

Thank you so much for your hard work in putting this together.  I know there are lots of requests for Posts to become "stickies" but I think this one really really should be.

I have not waded through all 5 pages so far, but do have one very minor correction to the list (which hopefully you have not already made and I missed.)  The official Goodreads app is now available in the Android Marketplace and is the same one available in the B&N store.  It is free in both markets.

Nallia
0 Kudos

Thank you.  :smileyhappy:  I always appreciate corrections.  Being the only one to run comparisons often causes me concern that I overlooked or missed something.  It's the whole, "don't proofread your own work," thing.  :smileyhappy:

With the next update, I think I'm going to repost the entire updated list in the Apps forum and start over.  I've been thinking that it might help people more if I reposted the whole list every time, just noting which apps were new/changed.  I havent done it until now because of how large the list is, but it might be easier for people to look at that way.  If I was able to edit my posts for more than 90 minutes, I'd be able to maintain a single list.  But I have to make do with what I have, so reposting the list now seems like the easiest option.  Now I'm just trying to decide whether to create an entirely new dated thread every time.  :smileyhappy:

MarkOB1 was kind enough to create an Excel spreadsheet and give it to me, saving me a huge amount of time.  I'm going to update that and make it available for everyone as well as soon as I can.  I think I'm going to start including the Amazon App Store and the iTunes App Store if I can get around to it.  It's more difficult for me to search the Amazon store on my laptop because doing so brings up the rest of Amazon.com as well.  I worry that searching from my phone may miss something; I'm not sure if Amazon's store is device specific.  I don't have an iPhone or iPad, and i've never tried to find any apps through iTunes on my computer.  I assume they're there.

Nallia
0 Kudos
Distinguished Correspondent
CB2010
0 Kudos

Awesome as always Nallia! And thanks for putting the new ones in red. :smileyhappy: