Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
swmitty1
0 Kudos

Nook Book and how to Root the Nookt

I went to my local BN tonight and at the Nook counter they were selling a paperback called "The Nook Book by Barnes and Noble". It has a chapter dedicated to Rooting the NC, how to install android apps and how to unroot NC. I found this surprising since I thought that BN did not support rooting.
Wordsmith
mariel9898

Re: Nook Book and how to Root the Nookt

Rooting is something that is not officially endorsed by B&N. However, it is a reason that so many units have been sold. The NC is the current super darling of the techie community, especially the rooters and hackers. It is the ability to root that has bought the NC so much attention from lots of tech sites. Compared to a lot of other pieces of electronics that can be rooted, the NC is a steal at only $249. The fact that it can be booted from a microSD card means that while mistakes can  - and have been - made, it's proven so far to be unbrickable. You should see what some of these guys are doing with the NC - tethering, using it as a GPS screen, hooking up Wii remotes and playing Wii games, adding Bluetooth devices, using Skype - the list is growing every day.

I think B&N has taken the stance it has because while the tech community is doing all these awesome things, many rooters are like me - we just want more functionality from our NC but we still are buying books from B&N. The fact that it's rootable attracts a lot of people that would have either bought a Kindle or an iPad.

Inspired Contributor
Serolf_Divad
0 Kudos

mariel9898 wrote:

I think B&N has taken the stance it has because while the tech community is doing all these awesome things, many rooters are like me - we just want more functionality from our NC but we still are buying books from B&N. The fact that it's rootable attracts a lot of people that would have either bought a Kindle or an iPad.

Agreed, I for one, will continue to buy books and magazines from B&N on my Nook as long as B&N doesn't block me from doing so based on the state of my device. At the moment I've got three books and four magazines I've paid for on my NC, and a trial magazine subscription to The Economist that's set to go live next week. Once the B&N App Store goes live I'm sure I'll buy some stuff there, too. B&N is and will continue to get my money as long as they don't actively try and block me. And out of principle and as a measure of good faith I, personally, won't install the Kindle app on my NC.

Wordsmith
dparrothead1
0 Kudos

Why would B&N block rooting?  They are getting so much free research and development it's not funny.

All they have to do is monitor the techie boards!

Life is not about weathering the storms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!

It's a semi-true story!
Inspired Contributor
Serolf_Divad
0 Kudos

dparrothead1 wrote:

Why would B&N block rooting?  They are getting so much free research and development it's not funny.

The only R&D they're getting is possibly a bit of marketing research... getting a feel for what consumers want to do with their eReaders.

The fact is: given their access to firmware, OS source code and hardware, B&N's tech personnel don't really need any help from the XDA Devs board.

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

Serolf_Divad wrote:

dparrothead1 wrote:

The only R&D they're getting is possibly a bit of marketing research... getting a feel for what consumers want to do with their eReaders.

The fact is: given their access to firmware, OS source code and hardware, B&N's tech personnel don't really need any help from the XDA Devs board.

All the trial and error can give them an idea of what is simple and what needs further testing.

JMHO

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Correspondent
flfarber
0 Kudos

I am also in the camp of loving my rooted Nook color and have personally sold five of them and set them up for my friends & relatives, all of whom are loving it as well.  I agree that as long as B&N continues to supply the hardware and not block me from doing what I want with the device I will voluntarily not use competing ebook software and sources.

I can testify to the fact that unless one physically damages the device they are virtually impossible to ruin with the software that is floating around.  Last night when I had to totally rebuild the NC (after I had made a mistake), the only thing I was not able to get back was the device's wish list...I am off to post about that now.

Contributor
Balloonchaser
0 Kudos

flfarber wrote:

I am also in the camp of loving my rooted Nook color and have personally sold five of them and set them up for my friends & relatives, all of whom are loving it as well.  I agree that as long as B&N continues to supply the hardware and not block me from doing what I want with the device I will voluntarily not use competing ebook software and sources.

I can testify to the fact that unless one physically damages the device they are virtually impossible to ruin with the software that is floating around.  Last night when I had to totally rebuild the NC (after I had made a mistake), the only thing I was not able to get back was the device's wish list...I am off to post about that now.

What software do you use to root with? After you root, do you have to use the Nook Android app from the Android market or is it basically still a NC but with more options? I am curious about the magazines, I was told only the NC can view them. If I have to use the Android app, will I lose them?

Correspondent
flfarber
0 Kudos

Balloonchaser wrote:

What software do you use to root with? After you root, do you have to use the Nook Android app from the Android market or is it basically still a NC but with more options? I am curious about the magazines, I was told only the NC can view them. If I have to use the Android app, will I lose them?

Ballonchaser, rooting is very easy if you follow directions (I am relatively new to this board so don't how they would feel if I posted a direct link, just do a google search for Nookdevs, go to the color portal, and look down the right hand side for rooting). There are a lot of disclaimors that will probably make you nervous but you can't get yourself in so much trouble that you will not be able to recover. You will need a microSD card that you can lose all the data, you will be able to reformat it for use when you are done and PC, MAC, or Linux machine. I have done it many times and while I am a relative gadget person, I am in no way a programmer.

You will still be able to use the stock NC reader, you will not need to change to the Android market app, in fact for some reason I can't fathom the Android Market App is one of the only apps that just will not run.  I have no idea why, unless there is a clash in registering that and the NC at the same time. You will not lose any of the content you have available on your BN account.

Hope that helps.

Frequent Contributor
sewingladyNJ
0 Kudos

I believe you need to login to your you tube account first, then your gmail account. theres a you tube video of how to do it; just google, rooting nook color.

Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin
0 Kudos

Our B&N store had that book actually on the Nook display.  At first, I thought that the title stated that the book was officially by B&N.  After looking at the cover carefully, It actually seems to read that it's ABOUT the "Nook by B&N".  It's subtle, but it does not appear to have been put out by B&N. 

There is a chapter on rooting.  In one paragraph, it says that rooting will invalidate the warranty.  In another paragraph, the author states that he contacted B&N and that they were kind of cagey and didn't really answer the question: it might, it might not. 

Clearly, even though it isn't a B&N publication, they don't have any qualms with promoting the book.  I can't see that B&N has any particular problems with rooting--no skin off their backs, and if the ability to do this increases sales, icing on the cake.

Wordsmith
mariel9898

Balloonchaser wrote:

Easiest way is with Autonooter. This lets you stay on the current version of Android 2.1 but it opens the Android market and you can also get apps off of Amazon's app market. The best part (for me anyway) is that your B&N stuff stays the same.

Here is the video that is easiest to follow. Follow the directions exactly, with the exception of making sure that you use the right autonooter. So if your firmware is 1.1.0 (latest version) use autonooter 3.0 and follow the directions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUoHALWvPts

Also for more tips see my post here:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-General-Discussion/Just-call-me-chicken-I-am-scared...

Contributor
rogerdugans
0 Kudos

One of the greatest things about the design of the NookColor is that it boots first from the sd card-

For those who wish to retain complete compatibility of the original, B&N NC software-

run your choice of custom Android versions from an sd card and simply remove the card to use the original. :smileyhappy:

You do not actually NEED to root your Nook to have full use of a rooted nook.

(Note that there may be some added difficulties involved in getting some roms running from sd, but I think most are fairly easy at this point.)

The NC is a fantastic device- and I have always been in the camp that thought ereaders and tablets both were wasted money. :smileywink:

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff

Having owned various Newton Messagepads over the years, I had already envisioned what these new-fangled "tablets" should be capable of.  I was holding back to see what was coming. Ereaders didn't interest me, as they were too limited in a connected world, and why is there no backlight?  My old Newtons even had a backlight.  It needed to do at least most of what my Newtons could do ten years ago, however, I wasn't interested in it being a phone (gots one) or requiring a monthly fee (again, gots one).  When the NC came out, I began my research in earnest.  That culminated with a purchase in mid-December, and the rest, as they say, is history.  :smileyvery-happy:

P.S.  iPads always make me laugh...the Newton was slammed for being too big (especially compared to a Palm Pilot), and now SJ says says 7" tablets are "dead on arrival."  Really Steve?  Ya kills me!

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
roustabout
0 Kudos

re what softwware: There are two major branches for doing simply the rooting (not installing another OS completely.) One is to use the "autonooter" method, which is very simple.

Another is to use a tool called the "monster root pack."

I have rooted nooks using both.  After using the monster root pack, I was able to install the B and N android Nook application.  I am not able to use the shop after using the MRP.  However, the nook app has access to the shop as well, or the shop can be curated from a PC. 

After autonooting, the Nook app won't install, but the library and shop apps work fine.

I prefer to have the Nook app over the nook library for these reasons:

- it seems that you cannot delete books using the library app.  I tried to help an older customer with a stock nook do this, and the option simply wasn't there.  She was particularly annoyed at the number of samples being pushed by B and N with no way to get rid of them.

In the standalone nook app, you CAN delete stuff you don't want. 

- the library app tends to forget where you were reading.  The standalone app is much better in this regard. 

- the standalone app has a much better night mode.  In night mode, I want the app to be fullscreen and I want the screen to actually be black.  Neither of those is available in the library app. 

I also think the standalone app is faster to turn pages, but I could be wrong there.

I look forward to the new firmware release from B and N -- I hope that it will update the library app to support deleting files and fullscreen reading. 

For now, my advice is to read up on either technique for rooting.  I think the MRP method is actually better, since you get a better book reader than the stock one once you're done. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Inspired Contributor
Serolf_Divad
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

roustabout wrote:

- it seems that you cannot delete books using the library app.  I tried to help an older customer with a stock nook do this, and the option simply wasn't there.  She was particularly annoyed at the number of samples being pushed by B and N with no way to get rid of them.

In the standalone nook app, you CAN delete stuff you don't want. 

- the library app tends to forget where you were reading.  The standalone app is much better in this regard. 

- the standalone app has a much better night mode.  In night mode, I want the app to be fullscreen and I want the screen to actually be black.  Neither of those is available in the library app. 

I also think the standalone app is faster to turn pages, but I could be wrong there.

I look forward to the new firmware release from B and N -- I hope that it will update the library app to support deleting files and fullscreen reading. 

For now, my advice is to read up on either technique for rooting.  I think the MRP method is actually better, since you get a better book reader than the stock one once you're done. 

A few corrections:

1) You can delete books on your Nook Color, but you have to do it from the account settings in the B&N website. Yeah, this is the worst thing about the NC as far as e-readers goes.

2) You can set the screen to black with white lettering. You do this through the "text" menu while reading a book.  Options are: Normal, Night, Gray, Butter, Mocha, Sepia. I personally like sepia (less eye fatigue) but alas, graphs and diagrams show up in a white box, when  you do this. They don't take on the new background color, and that's annoying enough to me that I don't use Sepia as much as I would like.

3) The Nook App does not offer as much functionality as the built-in reader app: for one it does not support "read to me" children's books (and if you have young kids, like me, that there's a deal breaker in and of itself). Also, it does not support magazines (another deal breaker for me, given that I've just started subscribing to the Economist on my Nook).

One thing I do loke about the Nook App (from what I've seen. I've never actually used it) is the page turn animations. For one thing, if you mistakenly turn a page it makes it east to know right away whether you went back or forward. Also, it makes it feel more like reading a book. Right now I still catch myself trying to "scroll" downward sometimes, as in a web browser, while reading instead of sliding the page to the left as you would in a book.

roustabout
0 Kudos

Um, wrt your corrections.

- you can't delete books from the nook library app. Deleting from the web browser is not anything like the same, and I didn't say "can't delete from the device" - my comment was specifically about deleting from the reading app. 

It can be done with the standalone app. This is functionality that should be equalized between the two. 

- the night mode in the library is lousy.  It's not white on black.  It's white on grey, and it's a fairly bright grey.  I discovered this last night when decided I wanted to try getting the shop back.  Unfortunately, I did, and now have a much-reduced-in-value-to-me-until-I-fix-it device. 

One of the first things that became clear was how much light bleed was visible in the "night" mode.  The standard android app does a MUCH better night mode.  It also does true fullscreen at night - the library does not seem to be able to do this. 

- If you MRP your nook, you lose the shop is hinky but the library still does work, so if you want the read to me stuff, you do still have it.  There is a store in the Nook app, albeit it can be dodgy to actually launch. 

Yep, the page turning is very nice. 

Magazine subs:  this hadn't occurred to me.  However, the library works on an MRP'ed nook, so again, you can still have that.

What breaks is the shop, and you get your choice of reading in the library app or reading in android nook. 

For me, that's a big win.

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Wordsmith
dparrothead1
0 Kudos

Check this out.

http://www.kwgn.com/news/kwgn-get-an-android-tablet-for-250-20110330,0,6120002.story

Life is not about weathering the storms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!

It's a semi-true story!
roustabout
0 Kudos

One other thing the real app can do that the library can't - and this is important to me - flip to landscape from portrait.

I expect that mistake will be rectified by mid-April, though. 

Inspired Contributor
Serolf_Divad
0 Kudos

roustabout wrote:

Um, wrt your corrections.

- you can't delete books from the nook library app. Deleting from the web browser is not anything like the same, and I didn't say "can't delete from the device" - my comment was specifically about deleting from the reading app. 

You did say:

it seems that you cannot delete books using the library app.  I tried to help an older customer with a stock nook do this, and the option simply wasn't there.  She was particularly annoyed at the number of samples being pushed by B and N with no way to get rid of them

That gives the impression that books cannot be deleted from the NC.

The samples are annoying, nontheless. And even having entire free books pushed out to the NC is a pain if I didn't ask for them.  I mean, I guess I should be happy to have a free copy of Luise May Alcott's Little Women, but if I didn't ask for it... it just one day appeared... meh... thanks but no thanks. It just clutters up my shelf.