Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader
mikesdork
0 Kudos

Nook Color Battery Life?

It seems that I can only read for about 2 hours on my Nook Color before it wants me to charge it.  Then I can not turn it on again until the little light on the cord turns green.  Is something wrong?  I know that the battery life is not as good as the Regular Nook but 2 hours is a little ridiculous!

Any help or suggestions?

Reader
DennisP69
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color Battery Life?

I just got mine and I am getting about 8 hrs or so out of mine. That was with a lot of turning it on and off and general messing around with a new toy stuff.

Might want to swing back into B&N and get a replacement.

Good Luck

Dennis P.

Correspondent
Perry_Mason
0 Kudos

I get very poor battery life too, around 4 hours.  That's with no web surfing and keeping the screen dimmed almost all the way down.  It will drop 14 percentage points overnight in sleep mode.  

Inspired Wordsmith
Theriot_Publishing

[ Edited ]

mikesdork wrote:

It seems that I can only read for about 2 hours on my Nook Color before it wants me to charge it.  Then I can not turn it on again until the little light on the cord turns green.  Is something wrong?  I know that the battery life is not as good as the Regular Nook but 2 hours is a little ridiculous!

Any help or suggestions?

you should get a decent 8 hours batt life out of it regardless of wifi.  I do.

When you are charging, you should have to only wait a maximum of 15 minutes for it to power up and continue reading after a dead battery while still charging.  My experience has been about 8 minutes.

Return this unit.  It seems the battery is defective.

and to clarify: all equipment has defective units.. cars, electronics, board games.  This battery issue has been reported by several users so it may be a 'known' issue and probably is.  Bottom line is if you are not getting anywhere near 8 hours of battery time, return the unit for a replacement. 

There is zero reason even with heavy internet use that your batt life should be so diminished.

Behold the Glory and Grace of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Let His noodly appendage touch you. Swallow the sauce for it is the blood of innocent tomatoes. So sayeth the FSM. Pasta for Peace!
Inspired Contributor
BookieDT
0 Kudos

I try and keep wifi off unless using. That helped me have longer battery life. Hope that helps.
Inspired Contributor
RucknRun
0 Kudos

I also get plenty of battery to last the whole day.  8hrs at least.  I would return it.   

Inspired Correspondent
thans56

I've had my CNook for at least a month now.  I'm a heavy reader, some days up to 6 hours straight and I read everyday.  With WiFi on and only reading, not searching for books or other things, I get about 6 to 7 hrs on a full battery charge.  If I do anything such as shopping for books, browsing, music or games I will get only around 2-4 hours tops on a full battery charge.

I have read and been told that you should never let the battery drain completely that this will diminish the life of the battery.  No idea if that is true or not?

If my battery gets around 20% while reading I just plug it in to charge and continue reading.  Seems to work fine and it charges while I'm reading.

Inspired Correspondent
thans56
0 Kudos

I sent an email to Color Nook Support a week and a half ago and received this reply today . . .

"Dear Valued Customer,

We received your recent email and apologize that we have not responded.
We are experiencing unusually high email volume, and want to assure you
that your concerns are always very important to us.

We invite you to have a look at our Help Desk by clicking on this link:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/help/help.asp

We?ve worked hard to include answers to many of our customer?s questions
right here, so the solution you are looking for may be right there.

If you have a question about the status of your order, please check the
information we provide on your online account.  If you placed an order
without an online account, just click on the drop down menu under My
Account in the upper right corner of our website.  Complete the
information on the left side of the screen and click on View Order.  As
always, you can rely on the information sent to you in your shipping
confirmation email, which also includes a link to track delivery.

If you still need our help, we are available by phone from 8:00 AM to
11:00 PM Monday-Friday and 9:00 AM to 11:00 PM on Saturdays and Sundays,
EST.   Call us at 1-800-THE-BOOK (843-2665), international customers can
reach us at 201-559-3882.   Please note that due to high call volume,
you may experience a delay in reaching a Customer Service
Representative. 

Thanks again for your patience and loyalty during this busy time.

Sincerely,

Barnes & Noble"

I don't think they are going to give anyone a straight answer till they decide how they will be handleing this?  I'm going to call Monday and see if I can get an answer then.  Will update this post when I know something new.

Teri

Correspondent
Traff
0 Kudos

That's exactly the same answer I got to an email about the cancellation of magazine subscriptions not working.

Inspired Correspondent
thans56
0 Kudos

LOL yup I figured it was just a standard email response.:smileysurprised:

Inspired Correspondent
thans56
0 Kudos

To Update . . . I received this in todays email . . . (by this post I am to assume that BN will replace the unit if it is under warranty but if not then  oh well . . . )

"Thank you for contacting Barnes & Noble about your NOOkcolor.

The battery is not user replaceable.  When the battery is no longer of
use, the entire device will need to be replaced.

We do offer a protection plan for $54.95 that will give NOOKcolor a
second year of coverage.  For more information, please visit the
following link:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nookcolor/protectionplan/index.asp?cds2Pid
=35607

Charging your NOOKcolor every day is not harmful to the battery.  To
maximize your battery life, never fully discharge the battery.  Also,
avoid high temperatures for charging and storage.  Charge the battery
half way if you're going to be storing your NOOK for a week or more
without use.

We hope you find this information helpful."

Inspired Correspondent
thans56
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color Battery Life

[ Edited ]

Update 2 . . .

Per my phone conversation with customer service this morning, with a person who had very broken english, not sure he had a clue what I was talking about but . . . I did get out of the conversation that if you have had your CNook for less than 30 days you can call custoer service and add the extended protection plan to it.  This will cover you for 2 years from date of purchase in case your battery fails.

Honestly, I've ordered from BN for many years now and have always had great customer service.  Never any problems with orders, shipping or anything.  My opinion is that BN rushed to get the CNooks out to the public in time for Christmas and were not fully prepared for the release in a lot of ways.

Had I known of the battery issue ahead of time, I would deff have purchased the extended warranty.  I would happily purchase it now if they would let me lol.

To be fair tho . . . I knew the battery was not user replaceable.  I just assumed they had some type of replacement plan other than the extended warranty (like what Apple does with IPad) for when the battery finally fails.  Fault lies with me for not checking into this further, prior to my purchase. 

I will say now that I won't be replacing the CNook when the battery fails.  I will look for other devices where the battery is either replaceable or for one that has a policy in place for replacement of unit once battery has failed.  Not unless BN has some type of similar policy in place for next edition of CNook.

T.

Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Not a very helpful answer:

The battery is not user replaceable.  When the battery is no longer of use, the entire device will need to be replaced.

What? Throw it away? What is the policy for devices not under warranty? No policy, no service?

I assume this isn't the final word!

Inspired Correspondent
thans56
0 Kudos

Well all I got was the following . . .

1. Cant add extended warranty if product purchase date is older than 30 days
  2. Failed battery is covered under warranty - you send yours in and they send you a refurbished unit  (unit must still be under warranty!)
  3. After warranty . . . . you will have to buy a new unit

In another thread I read about "Square Trade Warranty" - AWESOME DEAL!!!  You can purchase a warranty for products up  to 90 days from purchase!  I just bought a 2 yr warrenty for my color nook that shipped on Nov 16th and it cost me $41.  Even covers the CNook if I drop it and it breaks!

https://www.squaretrade.com/pages/

Think I will be using Square Trade for all my warranties in the future! 

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

withfeeling wrote:

Not a very helpful answer:

The battery is not user replaceable.  When the battery is no longer of use, the entire device will need to be replaced.

What? Throw it away? What is the policy for devices not under warranty? No policy, no service?

I assume this isn't the final word!

Well...let's see, what are you choices?   Officially....none except to replace the device via a trade-in, a return for service ($$) or throw in trash.

Unofficially....it is VERY easy to replace the battery on the NC.   NO special skills required.  It'll probably take the average person less than 15 minutes to do it.   Currently, no replacement batteries are avaialble, but from my past experiences....I can bet you that within 6 months they WILL be available.

Right now, it wouldn't make sense for a battery vendor to start selling repladement batteries sicne every single NC out there is still under warrant and will be until at least, late November of 2011.

So, in the meantime, your battery dies...you're covered via your warranty.  B&N will replace your NC with a new or refurbished NC (their decision which).

---------
Don
Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
0 Kudos

@doc13:

Yes, I understand, and I certainly could replace the battery. However, many people won't or can't. B&N needs a better policy. I don't think that is an unreasonable request.

Inspired Correspondent
seescribe
0 Kudos

I get 8 - 10 hours of usage on mine but I don't ever let it get under 20% before I'm charging it because I am usually in a position to do so.  but what you describe doesn't sound right.  I would call customer support and return it.

I can read while my nookcolor is plugged in charging.  in fact you are supposed to only be able to charge it when it is on.  You had better check that out.

Contributor
Jiggs18
0 Kudos

Join the club. I read for under 2 hours and my battery is at 20%. My wireless connection is turned off and my screen brightness is 0%. I purchased the extended warranty and I'm glad I did. I'm sorry I didn't wait for the Nook to restock. I could have replaced my own battery.

Inspired Correspondent
emtgirlCV
0 Kudos

Its about 8 hours of reading time, unless you start using google, emails,  all types of extra things, but usually it's 8 hours.

New User
ByNookOrByCrook
0 Kudos

thans56 wrote:

Well all I got was the following . . .

1. Cant add extended warranty if product purchase date is older than 30 days
  2. Failed battery is covered under warranty - you send yours in and they send you a refurbished unit  (unit must still be under warranty!)
  3. After warranty . . . . you will have to buy a new unit

In another thread I read about "Square Trade Warranty" - AWESOME DEAL!!!  You can purchase a warranty for products up  to 90 days from purchase!  I just bought a 2 yr warrenty for my color nook that shipped on Nov 16th and it cost me $41.  Even covers the CNook if I drop it and it breaks!

https://www.squaretrade.com/pages/

Think I will be using Square Trade for all my warranties in the future! 

So this whole post was just so you could drop a link in for squaretrade warranty service.

This forum post is just an obvious marketting tactic.