Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
mjbrodeur
0 Kudos

Nook Color PDF support

I hate to beat a dead horse with this, but I would love to get some feedback about the PDF support in the Nook Color. I've been patiently waiting for awhile now and it just doesn't seem to be improving. Maybe tech support or someone could provide some insight?

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Color-Technical-Support/PDF-viewing-issues-Book-reader-v...

Thanks!

Inspired Wordsmith
sandie52
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color PDF support

Which PDF app do you use? I have ez pdf reader or something like that and it works great.

Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259

[ Edited ]

Sandie,

Mike uses the built-in PDF reader, which is QuickOffice.  His concern isn't whether there are alternate PDF readers available, but rather the fact that you can't use them directly to open your documents.  I.e., even after purchasing ezPDF, if you tap to open them they'll still open in the internal QuickOffice.  The same is true even if you buy the enhanced version of QuickOffice.  Tapping to open still will not use it.

In each case, to be able to open PDFs in anything other than the built-in QO, you have to go to the App drawer, launch the other App, then navigate your way back to the PDF you wanted in the first place.  Which is more than a little ridiculous, since allowing documents to be opened by a dynamically selected app upon tapping is something already available in stock Android. 

B&N took that capability out when they hardwired it to QO, and has done nothing to rectify that poorly considered decision, even though they've had plenty of time (and user requests) to do so.  And beyond PDFs, this basic launching capability applies to other document types as well, where in some cases someone may prefer to use some non-default app to open, say an ePub document.  Sorry... no can do.

- Mark

Frequent Contributor
mjbrodeur
0 Kudos

Thanks Mark, you're even better at summing up my issue than I am!

It basically boils down to the fact that I carry multiple PDF eBooks with me all the time (I'm in IT, most of the books I buy come with a PDF copy in a CD, which I promptly load onto my Nook Color) and it's really very handy for me to be able to carry them with me everywhere I go. My issue is that I would just like to treat my PDFs as any other eBook, with the ability to bookmark, annotate, highlight, etc. Right now I have to implement a 3rd party solution, or even a hacked solution in the case of rooting, to make my Nook Color work for me.

I love everything else about the Nook Color, this is just a huge pain point for me. I did also send a message to Sam Levin, the community manager, linking to a few threads on this issue, and she told me she would circle back with her team and let me know. So here's hoping that this may get some more visibility soon!

Thanks everyone :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
mjbrodeur
0 Kudos

My wife is in the market for an e-ink eReader, and I've been trying to convince her on the new Nook. I noticed while reading a review this morning that the PDF support in general on the Nook devices is taking a hit even in tech reviews.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/01/barnes-and-noble-nook-wifi-review/

Quote: "however, the Nook's limited PDF functionality is a bit of a disappointment. Also unfortunate is the fact that using the PDF was one of two times the device completely froze us on in a short period of time, requiring a full restart -- a big strike against the otherwise stable reader."

Frequent Contributor
mjbrodeur
0 Kudos

OH YEAH!!!!!!!!!!

So it appears that Dropbox is now an official app (sorry, I'm a little behind the times). This goes back to my research of opening PDFs from Dropbox on the rooted NC, which prompts you to open the PDF in QuickOffice OR the Reader app. Now this is officially supported and gives anyone using PDFs the support they're lookign for. So now when you open a PDF that is in Dropbox, you will be prompted to open in the reader app, and BOOM! Now you have the full blown PDF support you're hoping for. Bookmark, annotate, highlight, change text size, etc. And it remembers where you opened up and left off the last time.

AWESOME! :smileyhappy: