Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader
iphoenix
0 Kudos

Nook Color USB Car Charger Adapters

Hi All!  I am absolutely horrified at the prospect of not being able to recharge my NC if something like a hurricane knocked out power for several days...! I would have to recharge it in my car like my cell phone and mp3, but B&N does not offer a reasonably priced car charger option for just the NC like my other rechargeables do -- and I am furious with them now for doing this to their NC customers. I live on the East Coast, and I figure I have 1 day before Hurricane Irene knocks out everything to purchase an alternative car adapter in case the power goes off for days. Does anyone know of a "safe" USB car adapter that is compatible with the NC? (The power specs I've researched say it requires 5V, 2.1a) It would be great if it can be had at a retail store, but if I can order it tomorrow so that it will be delivered early in the week, I can think I can survive. I never thought I would become so attached to an ereader, but I simply have fallen in love with the little thing. This is one business move which smacks of the kind of exploitation that makes owning the NC less attractive, and if there is no product available to fill this need, I will be sure to temper my praise for the NC with this fact -- especially when so many people who ask me about my NC are usually contemplating buying an iPad. Shame on Barnes & Noble for not making a reasonably priced car charger adapter available by now!

Wordsmith
robert93
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color USB Car Charger Adapters

While its a good "best practice" to use the branded options from B&N,  there is a concept called "industry standard"    Fortunately with USB connections  you can use your NookColor charging cable on your factory adapter, computer, or, a reliable 3rd party charger for USB devices, as long as it can handle the 5Volts, 2amps max the Nook will draw.  You should be able to find one at Walmart, Target, BestBuy, ect.  Look for Branded products, like Targus, Belkin, ect., as they should have solid quality control.  For USB, 2amps is fairly high current, which is why some laptops have trouble with the nook.  Using lower powered  adapters can be done, but will .... a. charge slower   b. produce more heat, which could make it harder for the device to provide "clean power" to the Nook.  c. give the manufacturer an easy out for not covering damages if their device melts down and fries your nook

Scribe
dfehling

Although I ordered the B&N car adapter mostly to have a set of backup cables - the main thing I use for charging things in my car is a universal DC to AC adapter. Definitely worth the money. The one I got has two plugs in it and I can use any of my AC chargers in my car now, including all our cell phones, iPods, Nooks, etc. Mine is strong enough to handle charging a laptop too. Much better than having to buy a new car adapter for every device you own (especially if you are like me and get a new gadget every couple of months!)

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Attributed to Groucho Marx
Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Well, B&N does have a car charger. I bought one. I use it for more portability because it fits in the case I use to carry all my nook stuff in. I do also have what is called a power inverter. Bought years ago to power a laptop using the car's cigarette lighter. You can plug a regular 2 or 3 pronged plug into it, but must be aware of any devices power requirements and make sure the device meets them. I actually have 2 of them, one is about the size of a pack of cigarettes, the other is a bit bigger and has connectors that allow you to connect it right to a car battery as well as the cig lighter. For anyone worried about power outages these can be great things to have on hand, just a bit less portable for some uses. I think this is the same kind of thing dfehling is talking about.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Distinguished Scribe
normysmom
0 Kudos

I agree with dfehling...my car adapter lets me plug in two regular household plugs and one of the barrel-like car adapter plugs. We use it for our cell phones, laptop, nooks and for our daughter's nebulizer on long trips. The nice thing is that you plug in any household item...coffee grinder, curling iron, toaster...you name it! I got ours at Target or some such place long ago.
Nothing like a fire, a cat and a good Nook!
Correspondent
mogulman

I would recommend something like this:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=15779978&findingMethod=rr

It has 2 AC sockets and a USB out.  It is 600W so it will run a lot of different devices.  It has a low voltage shutdown so you should be able to start your car after it shuts down (important feature).  I use an earlier version that does not have a USB output.

deemure
0 Kudos

That's the thing! Great devices. My nephew recently got married and I was doing the photography, but only had one battery for my dslr (due to a screw up by a retailer I ordered from). I plugged my battery charger into this when going from location to location and it kept the battery charged enough to get me through.
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Reader
iphoenix
0 Kudos

Thanks Everyone!  You're great!  So far, the power has not gone out, but I am going to take your advice and invest in a power inverter. I never knew they existed!!

Wordsmith
robert93

ON that model... that has only 500mW output through the USB, so use your wall adapter with that.  The average laptop power for USB is about 470mW, so that inverter is inline with standards, just not enough for the Nook to charge quickly.

Inspired Contributor
gkaiseil
0 Kudos

Just idling the inverter consumes electricity so it might not be the best option. I use iGo chargers and the iGo cords and tips when possible.  There is no tip for the Nook Color, but you can use the Nook Color cord. iGo makes a 2 usb port car charger and wall charger. They even have wall charger with a built in battery, so you can carry a charger and portable power source if needed. Also when you get a new device you may need to only to by a $10.00 tip,

Wordsmith
robert93

This may sound like a stupid and unimportant point to mention, but DO NOT run your engine in a closed garage, or even a opened garage that vents into the house in any way!!!   No need to kill yourself or others just to charge your Nooks    Stay Safe!   Running your engine does provide maximum voltage available, but the carbon monoxide isnt worth the risk.

deemure
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I don't know what is meant by idling the inverter, but if that means leaving it plugged into the cig lighter, well I don't do that. Also, the ones I have do have on/off switches as well as fuses, but I do still unplug from the lighter. And, mine doesn't have a usb, but like the other poster said to charge the NC it is best to use the inverter like a wall outlet and plug the wall charger into it. I can't see a need for the usb on the inverter myself.

The othe important thing that needs to be reiterated is to make sure the capacity of the inverter meets or exceeds the power requirements of any device you use.

From my understanding of the iGo chargers they will not quick charge the NC like the NC's standard charger will. The inverter will allow for the quick charge and will charge it fast enough to let you read while charging since it acts like a wall outlet.
Inspired Contributor
gkaiseil
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Unless you are Right there and turn off or unplug the inverter, you will be wasting what little power you have form your car battery. So you need to decide what is important for you situation. Using an inverter might draw enough energy to produce the 110 vac that your car might not start. The auto adapter performs the task with the least amount of power consumption.

Many trailer campers and boaters use a separate battery system for their engine related power requirements. These separate batteries are wired through a special switch that allows them to be charged form the car/truck/boat's engine  when it is running but does not let the engines battery be discharged by the non essential devices. This is extremely important on a boat since one needs to be moving under some type power to steer a boat. Campers want their vehicles to start in case of an emergency and will give up 'luxury" lights and devices to keep enough power for an emergency situation.

If may even be possible to get a solar charger that might be able to charge your Nook Color to some level of power.

In the end, the choice is yours and hopefully you make the right decisions and do not put yourself in a situation where you do not have your car when you need it.

deemure
0 Kudos

Personally, I am using the inverter when wr are driving somewhere. I never use the cig lighter with anything plugged in with the vehicle off. I also never clip to any battery used for primary power. When using an air compressor to pump up a low tire on my car, I have the car running as suggested in its instructions. When I used to pull a trailer around, I'd never draw on power unless I could recharge it. For instance, not all parks could accommodate a/c needs, so no a/c. I would never suggest somebody run their car battery down to charge their NC. The OP wanted some alternative to a car charger, such as BN has. I have the BN car charger and wouldn't leave my NC plugged in with the car off. Same thing with my phone and that's how I use an inverter. The plus of an inverter is that your NC will quick charge and it will charge if used while reading, but it should be used with the car running outside of a garage so the car battery does not discharge.
Scribe
dfehling

Yeah, we found out the hard way several years ago what could happen if you leave a cell phone charger plugged in while you spend the day at the zoo! We were with friends and got back to their van after a very

long, hot day only to find a dead car battery. Not fun!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Attributed to Groucho Marx