Contributor
Eagle-20
0 Kudos

Nook Color and Battery Charging

Am I to understand that I should not be charging my battery until it depletes to about 20%? Or should I charge more often or top off battery when at 75%?  Advice appreciated...

Wordsmith
mariel9898
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color and Battery Charging

It's my understanding that the type of battery in the NC is best kept between 20% and about 85%. You can charge at any time between those numbers.

BN_Cece
0 Kudos

Eagle-20

Your NOOK contains a lithium ion battery. To maximize battery life:

• Avoid fully discharging the battery. Charge your NOOK Color after several hours of use or when you see the low charge alert, rather than continuing to use it until it turns itself off.

• Avoid high temperatures for charging, use, and storage.

• Charge the battery half way before storing your NOOK Color for a week or more.

Charging Recommendations:

Inspired Correspondent
Jinnah
0 Kudos

Cece_R, thanks for the info... I was wondering about the best way to charge the battery as well.

Inspired Wordsmith
dvt88
0 Kudos

Thanks for the Info!
Reader 2
wk38
0 Kudos

A further question on charging:

Is it OK to partially charge my NC while - say in a coffee shop?  It wouldn't be long enough to bring the charge all the way up to the top.

My conern has to do with my running low on the battery when I'm out and about during the day and I won't be in any one place long enough to bring the charge up to 100%.

Regards,

Wes

Frequent Contributor
MikeNC

[ Edited ]

wk38 wrote:

A further question on charging:

Is it OK to partially charge my NC while - say in a coffee shop?  It wouldn't be long enough to bring the charge all the way up to the top.

My conern has to do with my running low on the battery when I'm out and about during the day and I won't be in any one place long enough to bring the charge up to 100%.

Regards,

Wes

It is perfectly fine to partially cycle Li power cells.  They do not suffer from memory affects like older technologies, nor do they suffer at all from partial discharge/charge cycles.  In fact, partial cycles will keep the battery in useable condition longer than frequent deep cycles will.

Use (discharge) and charge as and when convenient to do so is my basic paractice with Li powered devices.  I try to avoid deep cycles (especially ones all the way to the point the device shuts itself off), but basically if I'm not using my NC and a plug is handy, I plug it in so it is well charged when I next wish to use it (which may or may not mean it is fully or partially charged).

P.S. I also do not worry about unplugging it once fully charged.  It will sit that way, plugged in, until I want to use it next, and only then will it get unplugged.  The automatic overcharge protection shuts off charging once the battery is fully charged.

Reader 2
wk38
0 Kudos

Thanks for addressing my concerns.

Regards,

Wes

New User
fredsdavis
0 Kudos

This is great information.  I wondered if I could leave it plugged in, which is the most convenient thing for me to do, given that the Nook will rarely leave my home.  Thank you!

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

fredsdavis wrote:

This is great information.  I wondered if I could leave it plugged in, which is the most convenient thing for me to do, given that the Nook will rarely leave my home.  Thank you!

Sure tho there were AC charger overheating issues that may have or not have been addressed?

Personally it takes longer put I leave mine plugged in the usb port on my computer. Takes longer to charge like from 30% is more like 8-10hrs. And even with my computer shut down and off. The usb is still getting power and charging the device. By the time I get up,coffee,dressed,etc.. The nook is fully charged and ready for use. And being a slower charging process less chance of overheating. Also being plugged into the computer all the time except for using. Then can delete add content on the fly before heading out.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

Fredsdavis, I wouldn't reccomend leaving it plugged in during use unless you are very carefull not to kink the cable on the connector end, it is rather easily damaged. Using it in landscape mode if using it plugged in helps also. In a pinch any usb cable can trickle charge the tablet, very slowly, protecting your BN cable.
Inspired Correspondent
NC-Kindle
0 Kudos

The charger has automatic shut-off. 

When charging using USB cable to computer, wonder what happens there if it's left charging after 100% charge is reached.

Inspired Scribe
orb9220

[ Edited ]

NC-Kindle wrote:

The charger has automatic shut-off. 

When charging using USB cable to computer, wonder what happens there if it's left charging after 100% charge is reached.

Same thing when plugged in AC the auto-cutoff circuit is in the Nook not the charger. So can always leave it in and unplug when you choose too.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Inspired Correspondent
NC-Kindle
0 Kudos

Thanks.