Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
sand_dawg
0 Kudos

Nook Color battery life

I just bought a NC. I charged it until the charger icon turned green. It took about 2 hours. After using the NC for about 3 hours, the battery icon looked 50% used. Does that mean I should expect to get 6 hours on a charge?

What kind of battery life are you getting?

Thanks.

Wordsmith
SCIONTX
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color battery life

The key is to dim your brightness as low as you can. Go for minimum comfort level. There's no doubt that maximizing brightness will drain the battery unnecessarily.

I do much more than read on my device (because it's rooted). It has replaced my phone in most areas. I use it continuosly throughout the day, and when I retire for the night I have around 40% battery level remaining.

Wordsmith
watchingDclock
0 Kudos

I probably get closer to 4 hours, BUT I use my Nook Color a lot to stream Pandora and surf the Web. My reading habits on the Nook Color are pretty much relegated to PDFs, but honestly that consists of only about 25% of my daily use, if that.  So yeah, usage patterns will have a big effect on battery life.

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

sand_dawg wrote:

I just bought a NC. I charged it until the charger icon turned green. It took about 2 hours. After using the NC for about 3 hours, the battery icon looked 50% used. Does that mean I should expect to get 6 hours on a charge?

What kind of battery life are you getting?

Thanks.

If you've got WiFi turned on and the brightness turned up...yup, 6 hours sounds about right.

---------
Don
Frequent Contributor
Mack_the_Knife
0 Kudos

the battery icon looked 50% used. 

in case you didn't know, you can get the actual battery usage by selecting Settings then Device Info

♥ Children make you want to start life over
Frequent Contributor
768MPH
0 Kudos

I keep wi-fi turned off unless I'm surfing the web. I also have the brightness turned way down. I never timed it, but I feel the battery life is outstanding (ootstanding in Canada) compared to other like devices.

Mr. Pink
Correspondent
Perry_Mason
0 Kudos

I mostly read on mine and keep the screen dimmed almost all the way down and I'm getting only 4 hours before it needs to be recharged.  I had a Nook Classic and the battery in it wasn't very good either.  

Wordsmith
mbratch
0 Kudos

I agree with turning the screen brightness down. Honestly, I've never needed it up higher than about 15 or 20%. By turning it down, it's much less strain on the eyes and has more of an "eInk feel", not to mention saving battery life.

So pounding on my NC on and off all day with a random mix of reading, internet surfing, and Pandora listening, I find that I get about 1 day out of the battery charge. At this rate, I've been charging it once every evening.

Wordsmith
watchingDclock
0 Kudos

mbratch wrote:

By turning it down, it's much less strain on the eyes

lol. I agree. The first time I used the Nook Color for an extended period of time to read/surf (2+ hours), it took a few minutes for my eyes to adjust to everything else around my home. It was like walking into a dark room after being out on a bright, sunny day.

Inspired Correspondent
3reddogs3
0 Kudos

Just as an experiment I fully charged my NC last night (Device Info/Battery said he was at 100%).  I disconnected the NC from the charger and immediately powered it off.  (Full power off, not sleep mode.)   I just powered him back on and checked the battery charge and it's now down to 98%.  Is this kind of "leakage" normal when a device is turned off? 

Also, the light on the cable never goes from orange to green even when the battery gets to 100%.  Is this normal too? 

If dogs could talk, it would take a lot of the fun out of owning one (Andy Rooney)
Distinguished Correspondent
scott88
0 Kudos

3reddogs3 wrote:

Just as an experiment I fully charged my NC last night (Device Info/Battery said he was at 100%).  I disconnected the NC from the charger and immediately powered it off.  (Full power off, not sleep mode.)   I just powered him back on and checked the battery charge and it's now down to 98%.  Is this kind of "leakage" normal when a device is turned off? 

Also, the light on the cable never goes from orange to green even when the battery gets to 100%.  Is this normal too? 

All batteries will self discharge just sitting around. Also remember that you NC is not truly off it is still doing things like keeping track of the time.

I and others have noticed that the n on the cable will not turn green until the NC reports 100% charge for a couple of minuets.

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.
Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Mine turns green at about 98%. 

And I finally saw "100%."  For the longest time I thought the NC was physically incapable of displaying "100%" since it seemed to stop at '99%." 

ETA:   lol.  100% lasted about thirty seconds (at minimum brightness and no wifi) before it went to 99%.   :smileyvery-happy:

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Inspired Correspondent
seescribe
0 Kudos

@3reddogs3

That doesn't sound right as far the cable. The U on end that plugs into the nookcolor should be an orange shade and then turn green once fully charged.  I would see if I can get a replacement cable if it doesn't do that.

@ original post

I keep my nookcolor in standby most of the day. I read and stream pandora through out the day, on and off as someone else had posted.  I keep wifi on all the time. I do have my brightness setting as low as possible at all times.  I find I go about all day and charge once a day.  I only turn it to off when I believe I won't be using it for a while.  I actually keep it in standby at night because I read myself to sleep. When I wake up, I sometimes dive right back in where I left off at.  It will charge while you are using it, so I usually charge at a time when it is convenient.

Inspired Correspondent
3reddogs3
0 Kudos

Many thanks ... I hadn't even thought about the clock.  The only similar device I have is a cell phone and since the company I work for pays for it so they can reach me in an emergency, I can never turn the bloody thing off  :-)    As for my orange light/green light issue, I'll leave the charger going after the battery hits 100% to see if/when the light goes green.  Thanks again.

If dogs could talk, it would take a lot of the fun out of owning one (Andy Rooney)
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

riffrafff wrote:

Mine turns green at about 98%. 

And I finally saw "100%."  For the longest time I thought the NC was physically incapable of displaying "100%" since it seemed to stop at '99%." 

ETA:   lol.  100% lasted about thirty seconds (at minimum brightness and no wifi) before it went to 99%.   :smileyvery-happy:

LOL  Just like my phone.  :smileywink:

Mine turns green gradually, and will be part orange and part green for a while.

Inspired Contributor
sixhotpeppers
0 Kudos

I leave my wi-fi on all the time, read several hours a day sometimes more, and surf the web at night for a couple hours on and off. I usually stick the NC on the charger once during the day for about 30 minutes just to give it an extra boost. At the end of the night when I am through using it, I have about 40% left. Then I leave it on the charger when I go to sleep. I am really pleased with the battery life. I have a newer Blackberry phone that has no battery left at the end of every day. I don't even use the thing! So, the NC has exceptional battery life for what it is and what it does. Also, it has a longer battery life than my Toshiba laptop. I get 6 hours max (that's the documented life of that particular battery.) Amazing.

New User
DavGrn
0 Kudos

twice now I've gone to bed with 70% battery and left it in sleep mode only to wake to a fully discharged battery to the extent that it can't start up until it has been on the charger for 10-15 minutes.

anyone else seen this problem?

Contributor
baltoreader
0 Kudos

Yup, me too. And I've been keeping wi-if off. I do have a N2A card, but still....
Once it's charged it's good to go for a while, but this self-discharging thing is a PIA
New User
rsqwyr
0 Kudos

I have the same problem. I am fully charging it at night. It is powered down when I get home from work, it is fully discharged! I cannot find a way to open it up and am wondering if there is a way to replace the battery. Otherwise it's almost worthless.