Contributor
sally1019
0 Kudos

Nook Color not charging

Hi all. I'm new to the boards. Have been lurking and reading posts as I learn am learning how to use my Nook. I bought a pre-owned certified NC from B & N website and received it on 8/31. I LOVE it, but since Monday, it has started not fully charging (only charges to about 48% after charging for 24 hrs). I am so bummed. Spoke w/customer service yesterday and they're sending me another charger. But it will take 3-5 days to arrive. He told me if that doesn't work, they'll send me another Nook. I thought the price was good  and felt confident the product would work well, but now I'm wondering if I made a mistake buying it buying the cert pre-owned one. Anyone else had problems?

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color not charging

Sally don't get discouraged. There have been many charger issues, and I am sure once you receive your new one everything will be OK.

I wish the stores carried replacement chargers but they don't. You can always purchase a new one at any store, but why pay for another.

While you are waiting, I am sure you can visit your BN store and ask them to charge it for an hour or so, while you lounge in the magazine section or the cafe.

Good luck and welcome aboard.

Inspired Contributor
slic2007

Not sure if this helps but, did you try completely shutting down your NC (not just putting it to sleep)?  I've noticed that sometimes, the charge level doesn't register correctly until you power down and power back up.  It seems to mostly happen when you look at the charge level while you are charging it.  Once you unplug the charger and power down, it seems to reset itself.

Well, as I mentioned, I don't know if this will help but, it did work for me.  Good luck.

Contributor
sally1019
0 Kudos

Thanks for the input. I live in a rural area, so the closest B & N is an hour away. Hopefully the replacement will come by Friday. I have been completely powering it off to charge it, but it makes no difference. Oh well, I did figure out how to remove borrowed library books from my NC just now, thanks to these wonderful boards!  And I have enough battery to play around with it and learn how to do new things. :smileyhappy: I just really hope it's only the cord and I don't have to return the entire unit.

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

Sally there is a really good app for new nookies called Nookcolor Tips, it cost $1.00 but a good resource to learn new things. Check it out in the Market.

Hope your charger comes tomorrow.

Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

Sally - while you are waiting for the new charger to show up you can try using a regular micro-USB cable to charge your NC.  Granted, it will take at least twice as long to charge it, but at least you MIGHT be able to get to 100% charge.  Besides, it will help you troubleshoot exactly where the problem lies - the charger, the cable, or possibly (but unlikely) the NC itself.

Let us know what happens . . .

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,263
0 Kudos

sally1019 wrote:

Thanks for the input. I live in a rural area, so the closest B & N is an hour away. Hopefully the replacement will come by Friday. I have been completely powering it off to charge it, but it makes no difference. Oh well, I did figure out how to remove borrowed library books from my NC just now, thanks to these wonderful boards!  And I have enough battery to play around with it and learn how to do new things. :smileyhappy: I just really hope it's only the cord and I don't have to return the entire unit.

Sally, your NC has to be on to charge.  You can't charge it when it's off.

Contributor
sally1019
0 Kudos

I don't have a USB cord that will fit, darn it.

I had been charging it w/the unit on. But when I chatted w/on-line support the other day, they told me to turn it off. Hmm...

I did just turn it back on and notice that now my battery is up to 70% which is the best it's been for days.

Thanks for the app tip!

Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

Nallia wrote:

sally1019 wrote:

Sally, your NC has to be on to charge.  You can't charge it when it's off.

Nallia,

Not sure if this is true. I have successfully charged my NC using the charger that was supplied with the NC and a generic micro-USB cable - the only "caveat" was that the NC had to be powered off in order for it to charge that way.  My son, who also has a NC, was able to charge his that way too (we were in Las Vegas for the weekend and had forgotten to pack the NC proprietary cable).

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

The NC does not have to be on to charge.  It tends to turn itself on when connected to power, which may give the impression that it must be on to charge, but it doesn't need to be.

To the OP:  when you connect the cable BN shipped to your NC, and then to power (by the way, that order is important - you want the more delicate end already fitted to the NC before applying power) - does the green or amber light on the cable end light up? 

Have you tried charging from a powered USB port, instead of from the charger that BN supplied?

If the light is lighting green and then, or and, amber, the charging system is probably working and it sounds to me as if you have an NC where the battery was not properly tested before shipping. 

My read on your situation is that you can discharge your NC to 20%, get the complaint about needing to charge, recharge, but only get a 48% full battery at that point. 

If that is right, then you will need the unit replaced.

The good news is that BN does a "secure cross-ship" on replacement units:  they ship you a replacement, and you return the bad unit in the packaging your replacement came in, so you shouldn't be completely without your NC.

If you do in fact have a battery that will charge from 20% to 48% but can not charge past 48%, , I'd recommend you PM our community manager Sam Levine and see if she can't expedite the replacement process for you.  I think if you explain it in that way, her team will get that the issue is not with the charger but with the battery. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Nallia
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

No, it isn't the fact that it turns itself on that gives that impression.  It's the fact that the user guide always said that it had to be on to charge in the past.  It has also been stated numerous times by B&N staff and support.  This has always been the case, for every NOOK device, since their inception.  The user guide now says simply not to turn it off while charging and that it will turn on when plugged in, which isn't exactly the same thing, but I haven't looked at it in a few months until this afternoon.

roustabout
0 Kudos

Oh, interesting. 

I've looked pretty hard at the innards of the NC, and I can't remember seeing anything there that looked as if the battery charging could be bypassed if the unit was not on.  That said, since the battery life can be dramatically extended by leaving the unit completely off, perhaps there is a bypass that I didn't see? 

I'll try the experiment later on. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Nallia
0 Kudos

roustabout wrote:

Oh, interesting. 

I've looked pretty hard at the innards of the NC, and I can't remember seeing anything there that looked as if the battery charging could be bypassed if the unit was not on.  That said, since the battery life can be dramatically extended by leaving the unit completely off, perhaps there is a bypass that I didn't see? 

I'll try the experiment later on. 

I really don't know.  I'll leave the tear downs to those of you who know what you're doing.  :smileyhappy:  I only know that we've been told that they won't charge when off.  Since the user guide has had the wording changed a bit, maybe that no longer really applies to the NC.

Do let us know if you find anything interesting.  :smileyhappy:

Contributor
sally1019
0 Kudos

To the OP:  when you connect the cable BN shipped to your NC, and then to power (by the way, that order is important - you want the more delicate end already fitted to the NC before applying power) That's the way I've been doing it. - does the green or amber light on the cable end light up? I noticed that after plugging it in to charge Monday, the light went from orange to green. So I assumed it had charged. However, when I started using it, I noticed the battery was only at about 50% (even though it had illuminated green). That's when I did the on-line chat and was told to power it off and let it charge. When I plugged it back in to charge, it was orange and that's what it's done ever since.  I worked 13 hours Tues, so it charged all day without any use and was still only at 48-50%. That's when I decided to actually call CS and not bother with the chat option again. It is still illuminating orange and says it's charging.

Have you tried charging from a powered USB port, instead of from the charger that BN supplied? I wish I had a different USB port to try, but I don't. :smileysad:

Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it.

deemure
0 Kudos

It does sound like the cord or charger to me.
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
roustabout
0 Kudos

If the battery will charge from 20% to 50% and that is as full as it gets, I think it's a battery issue.

I would discharge it, recharge it again, and if it still does not go past 50%, call CS and explain that the unit is able to charge, but the battery cannot hold more than 50% charge. 

One thing to be aware of is that it's easy to disconnect the charger without actually unplugging anything.  My USB cable can easily, within a range of 5 degrees, go from charging correctly to not charging and back again, all without being pulled from the NC. 

roustabout
0 Kudos

Nallia, I found out why the manual's now more silent on the NC powered on or off while charging question:  it's moot.

You can turn it off while charging it, and it just reboots.

It is possible, though, that when it cycles there's some risk of it sparking as the device goes off and back onto current, though.  So not turning it off probably is safer, given the number of folks who've had bad things happen to them with the charging system :smileyhappy:

deemure
0 Kudos

If I recall correctly there did seem to be an uptick in posts with problems where people turned the NC off to charge. At least I do remember some posts where people were having charging issues and said they turn off and charge each night. As to the battery only partially charging, I have the same thing happen with my cord as you, roustabout. I can very slightly move the cord and it goes from charging to not charging and the light on the cord goes green. The usb connector used to be fairly snug, but now is not. But it is the cord since I can use another and it is still snug.
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
New User
cruisin
0 Kudos

I had the same problem.  The local BN nook people called tech support who eventually shipped me a new a/c adapter.

BTW, how the heck does one post a new thread on this forum?  There is no button anywhere on the home page.

Nallia
0 Kudos

cruisin wrote:

I had the same problem.  The local BN nook people called tech support who eventually shipped me a new a/c adapter.

BTW, how the heck does one post a new thread on this forum?  There is no button anywhere on the home page.

It's a black button at the top of this forum:

Hope this helps!