Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
momto4wild1s
0 Kudos

Nook Color possible cons

I've had my NC now since Christmas!  I have to say that I tried out many ereaders prior to picking the NC as the one I wanted!   First I have to say that I was very misinformed by the B & N store personel in regards to the things it can do!  One thing they dont tell you is that the web browswer supports MOBILE sites only!  Most other sites have some sort of flash in them so they wont load correctly!  I knew the NC didn't support flash, but what I didn't know was that a majority of websites are flash based. What I find really pathetic is that they have this forum for us.  We can access them on our NC's but we cannot respond to them without being on our computers!  I have tried the HTML to post but it still does not work!   You would think of all things, they would at least make these boards ok for the NC!   In addition, many emails dont work either! I can read them, but not respond! Unless I use the mobile version and then only sometimes the keyboard will stay up for me to use!

The right side sensitivity of the screen is poor!  I went and checked the ones they have on display at their store and they are the same way.  What they told me is that is just the way they are caliberated. There is no fix for this! So you have to work around the constant annoying pop up each time you try to turn the page!

In the sunlight, there is definitely a glare on the screen which makes it very difficult to read! Even with the antiglare scrreen cover! So reading outside in the daylight poses significant issues!  Esp when I like to read when I'm sunbathing!

There is also no way to close the web browser. You can go back to your home page, but the browser will run in the back and drain your battery. The only way to terminate this is to turn the NC off and then back on!  Or you can turn off your wifi but there should be some other way to eliminate the need to do that!

I have bought many books from the store. I don't like that it says "read in seconds" when in fact it takes quite a while for the books to even show up on it!  I've had to wait as long as 2 days  after a purchase!  But yet I've had some show up immediately!   Going through my files is faster on the NC than the other Ereaders. I enjoy the mp3 player..but again, there is NO way to exit out of this. You have to hit pause and then go to your home page! Otherwise the music keeps playing!  I'm not slow but it took me a while to figure this out!

I like having my own wallpaper..but if the files are not named specifically, you have to go through them all to see what they are since the NC doesn't show small thumbnails of them!

I've not tried videos! In fact, I dont even know where I'd get a movie on mp4 format to put on it to try!  But I did try the mobile youtube which worked. However the video images were all very poor!

The speaker on the NC sits in the back! So when you have your NC in the cover, the sound is muffled. Its also crappy if your NC is sitting on something!  In order to get decent sound, you have to have the volume way up, the back opened up or headphones on!  This is an issue with the childrens "read to me" books! My granddaughter loves those, but always has issues hearing them!

The touch is tricky. When I am trying to go through their store, it seems I think I am clicking on one thing and yet it clicks on something else! I wish they had a stylus or some sort of device I can use other than my fingers!  I have skinny fingers, but they are obviously not skinny enough! So I have to zoom way in and tap above what i want for it to go where I want it to!

I know this sounds like I am whining! The truth is that I LOVE my NC!  I would much rather have the Pandigital ereader since it supports many other formats!  I just think my expectations were higher for it! Hopefully IF they come out with upgrades, some of these will be fixed with that!  It's a great ereader...and it is quick!  But like i said, my expectations were just a bit higher and I think that B & N is at fault for that!

I will be keeping my NC! And I will continue to love it. I have just learned to work around the "issues" I've found with it!

Distinguished Correspondent
MiniMischief

Re: Nook Color possible cons

[ Edited ]

Somebody likes to use exclamation points!!!!!!!

Almost all of your issues can be addressed by reading the posts on this forum.

I don't feel like going through your long post point by point, but really quickly, flash is set to be supported soon.  You can access non mobile sites and many actually don't use flash and are just fine.

Search for DVD converter to find out how to convert and put video on your nookcolor.

The right side touch issue is well documented here.

My web browser does not seem to run in the background for me when I go back to the home page, but turning off wi-fi is really not hard if you click in the bottom right corner.

Remind me, what was the point of your comments?  You  love your NC BUT?  I love my nookcolor without the BUT.  :smileytongue:

Life is too short to read bad books. . .
Correspondent
Traff

I'm using my NC to type this message. It's absolutely possible to read and reply to forum posts without having to resort to the laptop. Of course using the computer would be easier because it has a real keyboard, for a start. But. it's not like I'm writing a novel, so I can deal with a poky little virtual keyboard for a bit. As someone else wrote, you just have to put some time into learning how to get things to work. So now I'm going to send out a few Yahoo emails and then sit back to watch a beautifull high resolution movie - all on my Nook. And if you need help with any specific problems that you are having, just ask - from what I've seen so far, people are more than happy to help.
Contributor
Lu-La-Bell
0 Kudos

Ditto to minimischief... I love my nook color- no buts about It! And I posted this reply using my NC..no problem:smileywink:
"A book-lover never goes to bed alone"
Inspired Correspondent
thans56

• On the web browser issue:  They are updating this in the future.  The CNook is an "ereader" not a computer and it was designed as such.  The web browser is just a bonus option.  I've not found to many web pages I could not view.
  • The right side sensitivity of the screen is poor! -  try holding the nook up higher with your thumb near the middle of the edge.  You won't get the pop up then.
  • In the sunlight, there is definitely a glare on the screen which makes it very difficult to read! - this is true of any device with an LCD type screen.  While reading a book, tap in the center area to bring up the read settings.  Tap the A to switch to midnight or another theme to darken the background paper area then adjust the brightness settings to very low.  This will help a LOT.
  • On browser . . . check in the settings area for the browser uner "Browser Mode/Uer Agent"  and see what option is checked.  Could be yours is set on Mobile only?
  • When you are not browsing the web, even tho WiFi is on, it draws very little from the battery.  If it bothers you . . . turn it off.
  • I like having my own wallpaper..but if the files are not named specifically, you have to go through them all to see what they are since the NC doesn't show small thumbnails of them! - actually it does show thumbnails for you to browse thru.  "Settings / Home / Set Wallpaper"  you will then see thumb images of all your wallpaper and photo gallery images and can select from either location for a wallpaper. (This is provided that you put the images in the correct folder when you sideloaded them on to CNook).
  • I have bought many books from the store. I don't like that it says "read in seconds" -  the amount of time it takes to connect and download a book largely depends on your OWN WiFi/internet service/host.  I have a fast internet service and I've never had it take more than a second or two tops to download a book.
  • The speaker on the NC sits in the back! - I agree this is not so great.  It would have been nice to have the speaker on the side of the unit like IPad does.  My experience is that none of these type devices have decent volume levels.  Most are hard to hear without headphones.  Just the nature of the beast I guess lol.
  • Tapping on screen when browsing is touchy due to the size but again . . . this was designed first and foremost as an ereader, not a web browser.  Would deff be a nice addition/accessory to have a stylus to use huh!

Hope some of this helps you?

Inspired Correspondent
3reddogs3

Mocking someone for their use of exclamation points is appropriate on this board?   Sarcasm and rudeness is also acceptable behavior?  I thought this was an open forum where opinions could be expressed.  Instead, we seem to have criticism of a product being taken personally by people.  Not what I signed up for.   

If dogs could talk, it would take a lot of the fun out of owning one (Andy Rooney)
Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

I never finished reading the OP.  Too many exclamation points.  I wouldn't have finished it had it been in all-caps, either.  I just went on to another thread.  Someone decided to comment on it.  As is their right, I should add.   Maybe the OP will decide to apply proper punctuation...maybe not.  Maybe the OP meant to yell at all of us.  Don't know.  Don't much care. 

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
MiniMischief

3reddogs3 wrote:

Mocking someone for their use of exclamation points is appropriate on this board?   Sarcasm and rudeness is also acceptable behavior?  I thought this was an open forum where opinions could be expressed.  Instead, we seem to have criticism of a product being taken personally by people.  Not what I signed up for.   

Hmmm. . .  There are other boards where perhaps your delicate sensibilities wouldn't be so damaged.  :smileywink:  Just kidding!

I was only joking about the exclaimation points.  The OP just used so many of them I couldn't resist.  I in no way intended to be rude, but if you took it that way, well, that's that.  There are a lot of more sarcastic posts on here than mine.

Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
0 Kudos

Honestly, I think you are overreacting to one fairly lighthearted comment in a post that mostly contains a good response to what the OP said.

Inspired Correspondent
3reddogs3

Siily me.  I had no idea posting rude, sarcastic comments are a "right" out here.  So courtesy and a bit a respect towards fellow commenters is, what, optional?   How about just ignoring a comment you don't like or is that just a little too subtle for some of you? 

If dogs could talk, it would take a lot of the fun out of owning one (Andy Rooney)
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

3reddogs3 wrote:

Siily me.  I had no idea posting rude, sarcastic comments are a "right" out here.  So courtesy and a bit a respect towards fellow commenters is, what, optional?   How about just ignoring a comment you don't like or is that just a little too subtle for some of you? 

Maybe you should take your own advice if posts on a message board get you this worked up.  The person who posted the comment you're so offended by has already explained herself.

Correspondent
Traff

I have no problem with a bit of sarcasm or mockery (my hair's a mess - go ahead, mock me), especially when most of the replies are offering help or giving solutions to perceived problems.  It should also be noted that this thread is not the first that the OP has started, and most of the issues raised have been addressed in those previous threads.  It seems to me as if the OP is perhaps more interested in venting than in finding solutions. 

Inspired Correspondent
3reddogs3

3reddogs3 wrote:

Athena wrote:

Maybe you should take your own advice if posts on a message board get you this worked up.  The person who posted the comment you're so offended by has already explained herself.

===============================

Ya know, I have this terrible habit of putting myself in the place of people who are on the receiving end of ridicule, especially when it comes to technology.  I've worked in IT for over 30 years and on those rare occasions when I felt compelled to mock someone for what they thought they knew or didn't know or I belittled a "newbie", at least I did it in person instead of anonymously.   I would have expected this kind of adversarial silliness on a bloody political blog, not a forum for an e-reader.   If you folks think it's your right to hand out criticism, you oughta learn to take a little too. 

Inspired Correspondent
3reddogs3
0 Kudos

Traff wrote:

I have no problem with a bit of sarcasm or mockery (my hair's a mess - go ahead, mock me), especially when most of the replies are offering help or giving solutions to perceived problems.  It should also be noted that this thread is not the first that the OP has started, and most of the issues raised have been addressed in those previous threads.  It seems to me as if the OP is perhaps more interested in venting than in finding solutions.

====================================

Serious question.  I thought "General Discussion" could include venting.  If I'm looking for solutions I'd be over on the Technical Support board.  What am I missing here? 

Correspondent
Traff

You're not missing anything.   General Discussion could also include mockery and sarcasm, as well as the adversarial silliness that you introduced to the thread.

MiniMischief

[ Edited ]

Traff wrote:

You're not missing anything.   General Discussion could also include mockery and sarcasm, as well as the adversarial silliness that you introduced to the thread.

You know, Traff, I like you!

Wow, I had no idea being a little flippant over an excess of exclamation points would get everyone so worked up.   I put happy faces on my post even!  A little excitement for a Tuesday, apparently.  I can get really sarcastic if you think it would help. . .

Correspondent
Traff
0 Kudos

MiniMischief wrote:
You know, Traff, I like you!

:smileyhappy:

Contributor
MagicMalory
0 Kudos

You must be putting the wallpaper in the wrong folder. For me I hold down on the home screen and it asks me if I want to change the wallpaper, bam thumbnails. It really sounds like either your wireless isnt that great or you had no idea how much the net runs on flash. And how most sites just don't know how to deal with this browser. I haven't had any of the email issues as you. Maybe switch to Gmail? Or look for the mobile site. Which I dont see the issue with. Most are ad free and that is a plus for me. To make the keypad leave the screen hit the keyboard key under the shift arrow. I wrote and posted this on my nook. Hit html. Clearly the website creaters didn't get free nooks to test the boards.
New User
Juanito832
0 Kudos

umm i used to be able to go to non mobile websites before today not sure what happened to that but this definately needs to go back to that mobile websites suck

MiniMischief

Juanito832 wrote:

umm i used to be able to go to non mobile websites before today not sure what happened to that but this definately needs to go back to that mobile websites suck

In the browser, press and hold a spot on the screen and select settings.  Under Broswer Mode/Agent select "Desktop Browser."  That should put you back to non mobile sites.