Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Sroy2
0 Kudos

Nook Color, this is not starting off very good!!

I ordered my Nook color on 06-13-11 it arrived this morning. I put on the screen protector, and put it on the charger. I left it while I went out for my morning excercise and errands. I get back home about 4 hours later and my Nook shows as being fully charged. I try to use it, and it gives me an error screen and reports that it is clearing data and resetting. The end!!!!!!!  It is nonfunctional right out of the box.  I could not get it to work.  I called the 800 number for customer service and they were not much help at all.  I then decide to call the local store which is a 45 mile drive for me round trip from where I live. They told me to bring it in along with all packageing and charger so they could check it out. They confirmed what I already knew the Nook was bad out the box.  They did a return and gave me a new one from inventory. They even threw in another screen protector to replace the one I had installed on the defective unit.  I went ahead and added the protection plan while I was there since my confidence with this product is a little shaken right now.  My experiance at the store was way better than calling the 800 number for customer service.  The new one appears to be functioning as it should.  I think B&N owes me gas money or some sort of compensation for having to drive 45 miles round trip to return the nonfunctional Nook they sent me in the mail. I am not really happy about this.   :smileysad:

Inspired Contributor
Trekkie7
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color, this is not starting off very good!!

Sorry you're having trouble; but I can CONFIRM that it is totally useless to call the "help" desk 800 number.  I have had bad experiences in May and now in June.  I am "friends" with the people who work at a B&N store close by my home.  Unfortunately, you don't have that luxury.  UNLESS IT IS AN EXTREME EMERGENCY, DO NOT USE THOSE MORAN 800 NUMBER IDIOTS.  I even had a long talk last night at B&N and even the store manager who didn't call the foreign 800 number and had a direct line to the B&N techies, told me how in the last couple of months that there is a SEVERE problem with the "help" desk phone operators.  She hoped it would get better, but she didn't know any more details.  I finally got my NC fixed at the store with the help of one store manager and four other employees.  They even had to send a "trainee" to help other customers since they were all helping me.  They even worked through my second problem which they said they had never seen before (just like my first problem) - after crashing, re-installing the 1.2 update and all the "apps" had turned into "books" which, of course, gave error codes of not being able to access "books".

Hope everything works out for you!!!

Contributor
Sroy2
0 Kudos

I hope so too. The second one from the store seems to be working properly.  To be honest I had every intention of returning it and getting my money back, but the manager and employee at the store that hepled me did such a good job of taking care of me and the issue that I decided to give it one more try. I added the protection plan for good measure. 

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13

[ Edited ]

Sroy2 wrote:

I ordered my Nook color on 06-13-11 it arrived this morning. I put on the screen protector, and put it on the charger. I left it while I went out for my morning excercise and errands. I get back home about 4 hours later and my Nook shows as being fully charged. I try to use it, and it gives me an error screen and reports that it is clearing data and resetting. The end!!!!!!!  It is nonfunctional right out of the box.  I could not get it to work.  I called the 800 number for customer service and they were not much help at all.  I then decide to call the local store which is a 45 mile drive for me round trip from where I live. They told me to bring it in along with all packageing and charger so they could check it out. They confirmed what I already knew the Nook was bad out the box.  They did a return and gave me a new one from inventory. They even threw in another screen protector to replace the one I had installed on the defective unit.  I went ahead and added the protection plan while I was there since my confidence with this product is a little shaken right now.  My experiance at the store was way better than calling the 800 number for customer service.  The new one appears to be functioning as it should.  I think B&N owes me gas money or some sort of compensation for having to drive 45 miles round trip to return the nonfunctional Nook they sent me in the mail. I am not really happy about this.   :smileysad:

You won't get your gas money back.    You had a choice to do the whole swap thing via UPS (at B&N's cost).     You chose to drive the 45 miles.     Don't know what type of vehicle you drive, but that'd be about two gallons of gas....$8   big whoop.

Also, that's called "incidental damages" and the warranty specifically EXCLUDES those damages.

And tell me, what product have you bought that has NEVER had a DOA unit?    Not that YOU got the DOA, but that every single unit the manufacturer shipped and someone bought was perfect.   

Bet you can't find any product that has never had a unit returned as defective.

In fact, I'll bet even YOU aren't perfect.   That no matter what you do, how well you take care of yourself, that now and then....maybe only once every 10 years or so, you get sick.

I believe it's a sad day when people get upset because a product isn't perfect from day one forever.    Life isn't perfect....live with it.

---------
Don
Inspired Correspondent
Knowledge70

donc13 wrote:
I believe it's a sad day when people get upset because a product isn't perfect from day one forever.    Life isn't perfect....live with it.

It's a sadder day when people get upset at postings from people who are upset with a faulty product!

Contributor
Sroy2
0 Kudos

Why did you even bother posting Don. I no good and well I am not getting my money back or compensated for this. I was just being facetious about the matter, but I guess it was over your head. I am a profesional fighter fighter for a living, and by your statement and admission above, if your house were to catch on fire. I could show up and do a crappy job of putting it out  and you would except it if it rekindled. I don't think so. Get off of your soap box troll.  If you have to be such a thread crapper don't bother posting in any of my threads and I will reciprocate. 

Definition of facetious - humerous in a sarcastic way

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13

Sroy2 wrote:

Why did you even bother posting Don. I no good and well I am not getting my money back or compensated for this. I was just being facetious about the matter, but I guess it was over your head. I am a profesional fighter fighter for a living, and by your statement and admission above, if your house were to catch on fire. I could show up and do a crappy job of putting it out  and you would except it if it rekindled. I don't think so. Get off of your soap box troll.  If you have to be such a thread crapper don't bother posting in any of my threads and I will reciprocate. 

Definition of facetious - humerous in a sarcastic way

I don't think you're a "professional fighter fighter"   You probably meant "firefighter" which is all one word but sometimes erroneously stated as two words "fire fighter"

Ok, I'm being facetious.    Did you notice that until I just said it?

Emotion doesn't come across very well in text.    There's no facial expression to see, that's why there are groups of smileys here to help out.

Not that it matters, but I'm a retired police officer, retiring after 26 years in Denver.

And yes, I've heard of professional firefighters not fully dousing a fire and it re-kindles.   Not often, but yes...it does happen.

Cops arrest the wrong person too, sometimes.

Stuff happens.

---------
Don
Contributor
Sroy2
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Get a life buddy. It is obvious that your are reaching out for some sort of confrontation. Move along troll there is nothing more for you to see here.

Distinguished Correspondent
TNTLamb
0 Kudos

Well as a Brick and Mortar retailer I hate to point out the obvious difference here. But the avoidance of sales tax buying on line didn't pay off did it????

There are 293 ways to make changes for a dollar.... No wonder we see things differently
Contributor
Sroy2
0 Kudos

I had to pay sales tax on it. Ordered it online for the convenience.

Frequent Contributor
Vegas771

Don has a point about electronics not always working out of the box.  I would venture that most of us have had a problem with some sort of device out of the box.  That is why there are return/refund policies.  

Going on a rant on a user forum is fairly common, though ineffective.  Just as Don's comment back to the ranter is a fairly common response.

And don't even get me started on the whole police vs. firefighter animosity thing. :smileywink:

Welcome to the internet.  

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13

Sroy2 wrote:

Get a life buddy. It is obvious that your are reaching out for some sort of confrontation. Move along troll there is nothing more for you to see here.

Let's see...I've got real close to 1,000 postings here, and you've got less than 10, and that makes ME a troll.

Cool.

---------
Don
Contributor
Sroy2
0 Kudos

I did not start this to anger someone that I don't even know.   I was not ranting merely stating what had transpired. If you notice in my first and second post I stated that the store resolved this issue. The truth be known this is the first dead on arrival electronics I have received. On first glance this appeared to be a friendly forum!!  I am still willing to give it a chance. I hope it is not like this all the time. 

On a side note Vegas771 which side of the fence are you on police or firefighter, enquiring minds want to know.  :smileywink: 

Contributor
Sroy2
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Whatever donc13. Now who is getting angry. Move along Sir.

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

Sroy2 wrote:

I ordered my Nook color on 06-13-11 it arrived this morning. I put on the screen protector, and put it on the charger. I left it while I went out for my morning exercise and errands. I get back home about 4 hours later and my Nook shows as being fully charged. I try to use it, and it gives me an error screen and reports that it is clearing data and resetting. The end!!!!!!!  It is nonfunctional right out of the box.  I could not get it to work.  I called the 800 number for customer service and they were not much help at all.  I then decide to call the local store which is a 45 mile drive for me round trip from where I live. They told me to bring it in along with all packaging and charger so they could check it out. They confirmed what I already knew the Nook was bad out the box.  They did a return and gave me a new one from inventory. They even threw in another screen protector to replace the one I had installed on the defective unit.  I went ahead and added the protection plan while I was there since my confidence with this product is a little shaken right now.  My experience at the store was way better than calling the 800 number for customer service.  The new one appears to be functioning as it should.  I think B&N owes me gas money or some sort of compensation for having to drive 45 miles round trip to return the nonfunctional Nook they sent me in the mail. I am not really happy about this.   :smileysad:

Well yep feel your pain and always found the walk in B&N stores outstanding in the service department. And have always been top notch for me handling problems.

But don't put too much fear and weight to you getting a bad copy. So that must be the state of the nook color period. It Happens! A certain percentage is defective that goes for everything.

I usually try to keep it in perspective. As people have a tendency to overreact getting a bad one compared to the other 9 with no problems. And instead of looking at the numbers to determine the reliability and quality of the device. They take their one instance and blow it up to the suspicion that all units must be defect in some way.

Good Luck and Hope you are trouble free from here on end.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Contributor
Sroy2
0 Kudos

Nothing to keep in perspective really.  It was dead on arrival. The store made it right, and I too hope that this is behind me. Thanks for the well wish orb9220.

Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin
0 Kudos

It must have been very discouraging to have ordered an expensive product, to look forward to its arrival and then to have it basically DOA.  I live within 20 miles of a B&N store, and I think I'd still be a bit disheartened to have had to drive there to get it replaced, so I can see where that was frustrating for you.  I'm glad they were able to give you a replacement that works.  I hope it continues to function as it should--I daresay I think it will, and you'll be able to get the pleasure from it that you anticipated. 

Inspired Wordsmith
chuck4prez
0 Kudos

@ sroy2

Let's see, 45 miles....  at 20mpg (my interperetation of average) that is a total of 2.25 gallons. At $4 a gallon, that's $9. round up to nearest 5 for inconvenience, and that's $10. Did you ask for the manager then politely ask for a $10 gift card? I have found that something along the lines of "I realize that it is not B&N's responsibility, but it was very inconvenient for me to have to make the trek out here, and waiting for a couple days would be even more inconvenient, so would it be possible for you to authorize a $10 gift card or store credit to offset the price I paid in gas to get here and back, and also since B&N won't have to cover shipping on any replacement unit?"

If you received a $10 gift card, would you have posted a more positive review or no review at all?

I ask as a study in sociology, not to judge. I found your OP neutral, but not your responses to DonC. Remaining neutral with Don is an art though.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

Every company has some percentage of products that are just plain defective-they can't test them before sending them out. For the record, my first NC had a problem. I called and got a replacement sent out. I have had to call CS and had good experiences. The one thing that I will tell anyone to do is to ask to speak to someone in the US when you call. BN routes a certain percentage of calls to a call center in the Phillippines and the experience with them can be iffy. It is the same for all companies.
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Contributor
Sroy2
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@ BFCoughlin and deemure thanks for the kind words.

@ chuck4prez You figured the miles per gallon pretty high. I drive an older  vehicle. You would have to multiply your final figure by 3. :smileyhappy:  No I didn't ask for a gift card. I was just glad that they were so proactive at the store about taking care of this situation.

As for donc13, the internet makes it really easy to say things to people that you would not say if you were face to face with them.   As for what I said about the gas or reimbursement It was sarcastic dry humor. He got out of it what he wanted, jumped to conclusions and took it in a direction that it should not have gone. So the short answer, I think I treated him about as well as he treated me.  

To answer your other question I would have posted the same thing, but would have included that I received a $10.00 gift card as compensation. What I posted was  fact as to what happened with the purchase of My Nook Color and there was nothing at all negative about it. I posted both the good and the bad of this experience.

This is the end of this post for me. I requested that the moderator either lock it or delete it.