Contributor
SamBNY
0 Kudos

Nook Color to get Android 2.2 (Froyo) with Android Marketplace

Just heard the news on CNET's Buzz Out Loud show.  The Nook Color will basically become a tablet in January when it gets an update to Android 2.2 with full access to the Android Marketplace, where all the android apps are located.

I was thinking of selling my Nook Color on eBay, but this news totally changed my mind. This is going to be great!

flyingtoastr
Topics: 52
Kudos: 2,877
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color to get Android 2.2 (Froyo) with Android Marketplace

Contributor
vermontcathy
0 Kudos

You might want to look at the thread here:

http://www.amazon.com/tag/kindle/forum/ref=cm_cd_tfp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG...

I know, it's a kindle forum, but some people have both, and some people in that discussion have really traced this rumor back to its source. It doesn't look like it will have full access to the Android Marketplace.

Frequent Contributor
JSwinden
0 Kudos

That turned out to be yellow journalism fueled by the stupidity of the readers. Even if B&N fully embraces Android 2.2, Android will NOT be a true tablet OS until at least 3.x, if then. And B&N has made it clear they will NOT fully open the NC. I do hope B&N at least allows us to have a decent PDF and Office Suite app as well as fullscreen video.

Distinguished Correspondent
Gtriever
0 Kudos

I wouldn't call the readers stupid. It was the irresponsible reporting of Smartphone Magazine, followed up by a bunch of blogs and emags (Engadget, anybody?) not checking their sources before repeating the rumor.

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

JSwinden wrote:

That turned out to be yellow journalism fueled by the stupidity of the readers. Even if B&N fully embraces Android 2.2, Android will NOT be a true tablet OS until at least 3.x, if then. And B&N has made it clear they will NOT fully open the NC. I do hope B&N at least allows us to have a decent PDF and Office Suite app as well as fullscreen video.

We do have full screen video.

What you talkin' bout?

:smileyhappy:

---------
Don
Distinguished Correspondent
morgman
0 Kudos

I have heard that the Nook version of 2.2 will have some marketplace restrictions. Hopefully that will be limited to quality control review for those apps which work on the book. Clearly a lot of android phone apps aren't going to work because this device isn't a phone and doesn't have built in gps or compass (e.g. google sky map). Any more restrictions would be a mistake that pushes users to another tablet. After seeing youtube videos of the nook color rooted I had to do that and now have a full android tablet and can't put this thing down. If BN opened it up and sold it like this they would be sold out for months! To the poster that said we need android 3.0 for a tablet, look at 'gingerbread' android 2.3, it has updates to support the tablet. So the future for the nook color very bright.
Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
0 Kudos

Here's hoping that Nook Color users get some real Android apps when the 2.2 upgrade happens: Astro, ezPDF, Moon Reader, DocsToGo, RockPlayer, etc.

Wordsmith
watchingDclock
0 Kudos

withfeeling wrote:

Here's hoping that Nook Color users get some real Android apps when the 2.2 upgrade happens: Astro, ezPDF, Moon Reader, DocsToGo, RockPlayer, etc.

Don't forget "Pure Sleep", "White Noise", "Relax and Sleep", and all those other awesome white noise/"brain tuner" apps. :smileyhappy:  I'm not some new-age hippy, but I can't live without my white noise! :smileytongue:

Frequent Contributor
JSwinden
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Please explain. Everything I've read suggests that the highest resolution is 720 x 42x. So even if you manage to get that to stretch across the screen, it won't be taking advantage of the 1024 pixels, it will simply zoom which will look bad. So if there is a way to actually view say a video with 1024 x 576 pixels then tell me how. I'm not interested in viewing 720 x 42x after it is stretched and made pixelated.

And just for the record, I'm talking about using a NON-rooted NC. I have no desire to root my NC.

Frequent Contributor
JSwinden
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

B&N basically said that the device is a READER and that any apps should enhance that functionality. I take that to mean they are not interested in approving apps that are completely unnecessary for the reading experience. I hope they will allow PDF and Office Suite apps, as those are related to reading. I don't expect they will approve much of what many people might want (gaming, social networkng, mapping, etc.) and I seriously doubt they will approve apps that compete with their apps. So don't expect to be able to run a Kindle app, Sony Reader app, FBReader, etc.

Frequent Contributor
Bugeyed
0 Kudos

Let's just hope that you are wrong! They already have apps that are not related to reading, games, web browser, etc. I don't see why B&N would not take this product as far as it can go as long as they don't abandon reading functionality.

Cheers,

kev

Frequent Contributor
Chiclitz
0 Kudos

JSwinden wrote:

Please explain. Everything I've read suggests that the highest resolution is 720 x 42x. So even if you manage to get that to stretch across the screen, it won't be taking advantage of the 1024 pixels, it will simply zoom which will look bad. So if there is a way to actually view say a video with 1024 x 576 pixels then tell me how. I'm not interested in viewing 720 x 42x after it is stretched and made pixelated.

And just for the record, I'm talking about using a NON-rooted NC. I have no desire to root my NC.

Check out the discussion on these two boards:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-Technical-Support/Videos-on-nook-color/m-p/731455#U...

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-Technical-Support/Encoding-video-for-Nook-Color/m-p...

I'm not all that interested in watching movies on my NOOK, but I have to admit that I've loaded up 4 of them to take with this weekend for late night hotel viewing.

I was flat out impressed by the quality of the video that I could get using Handbrake (a free, maybe open source, application) to convert my AVI files to MP4s. You definitely do have to remember to adjust the video quality to 90% or you will get pixellated ghosty images. However, with the quality slider bunmped up, if the AVI quality is decent, the converted video will be as well. In some cases, they even look better because you can convert to a smaller screen size (like iPod touch), although you do not necessarily have to do that. The output file will be "smaller," as well.

And, yes, the videos do play edge to edge if the original file was also widescreen

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

JSwinden wrote:

854 x 480 is the advertised max resolution for video.   And I use it, and it looks SUPER.

Try it.

And no...my NC is NOT rooted either.

---------
Don
Frequent Contributor
ORLOVS
0 Kudos

Sam. Could you give me some more info on the Android stuff/ Does my N C already have

Android  on it? Will this be an automatic update? 

Thanks

doris