Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
sundawg
0 Kudos

Nook Color upgrade

Has anyone heard when/if B&N will be upgrading the NC to Android 2.2 ( or higher ) ?

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color upgrade

B&N has stated that the NC will be upgraded to Froyo, but we have no date beyond sometime in the first quarter of 2011.  B&N does not give dates for their updates/upgrades.

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

No def date set for any updates/patches

Search "update" in these forums.  Lots n lots of info/opinion

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Distinguished Wordsmith
Grinchy1
0 Kudos

When this update does come, will we have manually download it or will it happen its self when we are on WiFi???

www.redbubble.com/people/grinch
Frequent Contributor
Rictur
0 Kudos

Should push itself to you like the 1.01 did.  Well...at least it did on mine.

phoneboy
0 Kudos

Due to the higher risk of coruption via WIFI  I prefer to load via cabled PC then sideload

JMHO

Distinguished Wordsmith
Grinchy1
0 Kudos

phoneboy wrote:

Due to the higher risk of coruption via WIFI  I prefer to load via cabled PC then sideload

JMHO

I sideloaded my last update. But I never even checked to see if I had it alread. I was new at all this and had not really been on MB much, so I thought I HAD to do it my self. I guess when the time comes for the next up date, I will know if I have it or not....right???

phoneboy
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Grinchy1 wrote:

phoneboy wrote:

JMHO

I sideloaded my last update. But I never even checked to see if I had it alread. I was new at all this and had not really been on MB much, so I thought I HAD to do it my self. I guess when the time comes for the next up date, I will know if I have it or not....right???

I believe B&Ns intention is for the updates to auto load via WIFI. It would be up to the user to chk the site for updates vs them sending out E-mails to registered users.

Be thankful they dont. I could only imagine the overload on the servers if all users were notified at once.  Question. Do you get any notification when the update starts to Auto download?

Distinguished Wordsmith
Grinchy1
0 Kudos

LOL, sooooo true. Thanks. I am sure when the update is ready....I will know!! lol all I have to do is look on here!! lol I will just play it by ear from there.

phoneboy
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Grinchy1 wrote:

LOL, sooooo true. Thanks. I am sure when the update is ready....I will know!! lol all I have to do is look on here!! lol I will just play it by ear from there.

I should proly do Decafe in the afternoon

:smileyhappy:

Wordsmith
jeanniepep
0 Kudos

If you go to Device Info (under Settings) it will tell you what version of the software you're running. I checked mine one evening and it was the original version, then an hour later I checked and it was the newer version, also the little green N in the lower left corner glowed green for about 48 hrs. So, obviously mine updated itself via wifi.

Our helpful beloved mod Michael-V posted on these boards as soon as the last update was available and will probably do it next time too. Last time I had never sideloaded anything and was afraid I would do it wrong, we'll see if my confidence grows at all before the next update debuts. I actually still have never sideloaded anything, but I did get spunky enough to plug it into the laptop and move a few files around.

Now you can see why I'll always be too chicken to root it! :smileyvery-happy:

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

phoneboy wrote:

JMHO

There is NO risk of corruption via WiFi.    The download is checksummed as it downloads and if the checksums don't match on each "batch" sent (packets) a re-send is requested.

There's also a checksum on the entire file.

This same checksum process is used to download to your PC and also to copy from your PC to the NC.  

In fact, it's easier to have a corrupt file via sideload....if you unplug the NC without first safely removing it (ejecting it).   THAT can corrupt the file.

---------
Don
deemure
0 Kudos

Is it just me or does anyone else get emails from BN?  I've gotten emails with book ads that also tell me an update is available for my nook and for the NOOKcolor.  I did for both recent updates.  I also see people wondering why they don't send emails about free ebooks and I've gotten those too along with info on new releases.

I'm not hallucinating.

And by the way, if things for the next update go as usual, BN generally offers the manual update first that you can sideload by downloading from the support page.  The wifi version usually comes about a week later and not to everyone at once.

If you wait for wifi, you will note a little n in the notification area of the screen down in the bottom left hand corner and it will say something like, "an update is available" or has been installed when you touch it.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Wordsmith
melouria
0 Kudos

I have had my NC since Thanksgiving and have received no emails related to the NC. I do get emails from BN but only for DTBs. I did finally,last Friday receive notice of the free Friday offer on my NC SHop button. Today I checked and was happy to see the free Friday offer again on my NC, however upon pressing the book to bring it up for download it showed a price of $7.99 not free. I guess I will try againlater today in hopes the problem is resolveld.
Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

Today's Free Friday book is Magyk by Angie Sage.  It showed up as free for me, and downloaded fine.

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Grinchy1
0 Kudos

I am to chicken to root too, so don't feel bad. I was so sorry after I sideloaded the last up date. I don't even know if I needed too. I never even checked to see if it was alread updated. An I was not on MB much, so I didn't read anything about. But I guess everything worked out ok. I will happy if the new update works on its own through WiFi. I am always so afraid of messing something if I have to do it myself.

I had to add ADE in order to get the books I already had from my Sony ereader and was soooo sorry I did it. It almost was not worth it. I would have just rather bought the books all over again. But It seemed to work and my books are on my NC, just on picture for the covers, but I don't care, not worth messing something up to try to fix, even if it can be.

I applaud all of you that are able to do all the different things to your Nookcolor. I am to much of a chicken.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Grinchy1
0 Kudos

You get update emails from B&N??? No, I don't get them. I just get general emails that tell me of sales. But nothing about my Nookcolor in general.

I don't even get an email letting me know about free books or new releases. The last up I did was only because I was looking around on B&N site and saw it. I have only done one so far. I wish they would let me know of the updates. I am so afraid I am going to miss out on something.

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

B&N has two Facebook pages they use for that kind of stuff:

http://www.facebook.com/nookBN

http://www.facebook.com/nookBN#!/barnesandnoble

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

No emails here either and I own 2 NookColors.

Contributor
Talon132
0 Kudos

My NC says the free book is 7.99 too.