Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
MSVanLaanen
0 Kudos

Nook Internet Access

I am thinking about buying a Nook (color probably) for my young daughter, but I do not want her to have internet access. Is there a way to either install an internet security program or disable internet access?

Wordsmith
JinSC
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Internet Access

Yes, it is possible to disable the internet access, but and some of the more technical savvy folks around here have written instructions on how to do it.

However, the easy way (assuming your home wireless network is password protected) is simply to tell the NC to "forget" your wifi network.  It will see it, but when you press "connect" it will ask for the password.  If your daughter doesn't know the password, she can't log on to you home internet.

you really don't want to disable your wifi as that is the easiest way to get your books from NC.  or from the library for that matter.

Hope this helps. 

Jeremy

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

Right now, there's no security tool that will do this on a stock NC.

I cribbed from a script Dean Gibson wrote for something else to let you remove the web browser and the shop from an NC.  You can also put them back again if you need to once you've made the disk.

It's not elegant but it will work. 

Full instructions are here:

http://nookworks.blogspot.com/2011/07/i-want-to-lock-down-browsing-and.html

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Contributor
ArcadeToken
0 Kudos

The Nook Color doesn't have any built-in parental controls to inhibit internet access.  You may want to consider a Nook Simple Touch for your daughter, which does not have a built in web browser.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

Actually, there is a web browser on the Simple Touch, too.  It's not as easy to run into as on the NC, but it's trivial to get onto and use. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.