Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
nikoman
0 Kudos

Nook Touch half-baked

I recently got the new Nook Touch. I heard so much about it and was really looking forward to it. In my hands it looks and feels great. The screen is crisp and touch function very responsive. The virtual keyboard is also relatively easy to use.

All that said, though, I am increasingly frustrated with my Nook even after just a few days. I understand it's just a reader, but the device actually has so much more potential. So here are my gripes:

1. The OS is clunky and limited in functions and options, settings 

2. Many eBooks don't display properly (bought on B&N site!)

3. No zoom function for pictures / figures in books, magazines, PDFs

4. No native support for viewing PDFs. It's nearly the worst viewer out there. Many PDFs are almost unreadable. Why oh why can't we just see the native doc? Don't reformat it unless you can make it work reliably! Again, need a zoom and pan function to view properly.

5. No web browser (hidden for a reason, doesn't work)

6. A backlight would be nice for dark rooms

7. Top edge around device is sharp and cuts into palm, unlike the bottom of Nook

I know I can't hope for physical changes without buying new, but perhaps for the next version. The software certainly can be improved, so I hope B&N will listen and others will comment. I think we should expect better.

Reader 2
Capri142
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Touch half-baked

You were expecting an iPad? 

Frequent Contributor
Mela08

It sounds like you want a Nook Color.

Reader 2
jmgazer
0 Kudos

"It sounds like you want a Nook Color"

Rooted at that!!

Inspired Correspondent
NC-Kindle
0 Kudos

Can't help but smile while sitting here writing this using my Nook Color running from the micro SD card with cm7. Sounds like gloating? Yup, 'tis. Can't 'hep' it. Well, don't really mean to gloat, just being a happy tableteer.
DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,257
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Capri142 wrote:

You were expecting an iPad? 

The real problem is, there is no "upscale" e-Ink tablet.  There's plenty of choices in color, and most are very capable.  However, in the e-Ink market, there's nothing I can find that is upscale in terms of being a general-purpose tablet;  every e-Ink device seems to be (unintentionally or otherwise) crippled.

Believe me, there is a significant demand out there (as seen by comments on the Amazon site) for a really capable e-Ink platform (battery life being the primary issue with wanting e-Ink).  A couple months ago I tried out a Kindle DX, but returned it;  it's even more crippled than the new Nook Simple Touch.

Nooks: 2 HD+/16GB & 2 HD/8GB: B&N 2.2.0 (Android 4.0.4) rooted;
    2 Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G3 & G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2 rooted; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

Rumor has it that within a year or two, there will be a mass-market tablet based on a color e-ink with a decent refresh rate and some ability to be used either as a transmissive backlit screen or a reflective e-ink screen.  Pixel Qi is apparently one tech people are excited about. 

It still probably won't have a refresh rate that would make watching movies any fun, but for me it will be a very appealing device. 

I think I've read that Amazon almost waited for it before releasing their next Kindle generation.  It's available as an expensive add-on for the Adam tablets, making those tablets cost 550 including shipping with that display. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Inspired Correspondent
NC-Kindle
0 Kudos

DeanGibson wrote:

A couple months ago I tried out a Kindle DX, but returned it;  it's even more crippled than the new Nook Simple Touch.

Whoa there! Guess what. You've just kicked the proverbial hornets nest. My Kindle DX is my baby when it comes to some serious reading. And you just said it's crippled!? It's not a tablet, not even a semi-tablet like the NC before rooting. It is simply a superb e-reader. The built in New Oxford American dictionary smoothly handles any question about just about any word while reading. Reading is a no-strain pleasure on that baby. It was designed for the serious reader of books/novels. It ain't crippled!!! Yeah, yeah, I know what you meant. Just had to pop off and now me and my trusty DX feel better. :-)
Correspondent
ChipPM

[ Edited ]

Anyone complaining that an eink screen has no back light is an idiot.

Wordsmith
kingskidjan
0 Kudos

I beg your pardon?  There are a lot of us that would like some kind of lighting for an eink reader other than having to add a clip on light.  I bought the original Nook and had to take it back because I couldn't read it in my house without lights on--I can read DTB without lights on.  Just because you don't agree with a statement doesn't mean you get to call people names.

Correspondent
ChipPM
0 Kudos

You are not pardoned. You are also an idiot. You can not read DTB without a light on.

Wordsmith
kingskidjan
0 Kudos

ChipPM wrote:

You are not pardoned. You are also an idiot. You can not read DTB without a light on.

Didn't know you had been to my house.

Frequent Contributor
MikeNC
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

nikoman wrote:

6. A backlight would be nice for dark rooms

There seem to be a lot of people complaining about this, and honestly, it just shows a complete ignorance of the technology of eInk displays.  They simply cannot be backlit, as the display itself is opaque - a light behind it would simply not shine through.

The best that could be done would be side-lighting, which has been tried before and not with much success.  And on a touch screen like the N2E, new Kobo Touch and others, the area around the screen where visible spectrum LEDs could go (to side light the display) is already taken up with the infrared LEDs and their opposite receptors that make up the touch response grid.

It is an ambient light viewable screen - to complain that it should be something it simply cannot be is ridiculous.  If you need backlighting, you need an LCD screen device, not an eInk device.  Plain and simple.

Inspired Correspondent
NC-Kindle
0 Kudos

ChipPM wrote:

I reckon if a lack of knowledge renders one an idiot, we all qualify at some point. However, most of us would prefer not to be branded as such. In response to the frustrations expressed with the repeated requests for backlit eink, the Kindle discussion forum put a sticky at the top titled "E Ink 101". While not appropriate for this forum, would be a good place to visit for backlit eink questioners. Just go to the Amazon Kindle site and near the top is a link to "Discussions".
Inspired Correspondent
NC-Kindle
0 Kudos

ChipPM wrote:

Well son-of-a-gun, looks like I qualify now too! Couldn't think of what the abbreviation DTB was for. Googled it and at the top was DTB=Dump That Bi---! Didn't think that fit the context of this discussion. Of the MANY definitions, digital talking book seems to fit. Now I feel important again. By the way, the spell checker suggested replacing DTB with DTV. LOLOL and OL and OMG.
Inspired Contributor
Milltree4
0 Kudos

I had to ask what DTB was. It stands for Dead Tree Book.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

You can, however sidelight an e-ink screen.

Sony produced an ereader with sidelights at one point.  At the time, the lights sucked so much battery that the feature was dropped.

I would love to see a reader with a sidelit screen powered not by the internal battery but by a pair of AAA batteries which fit into the bezel. 

Or, once the Pixel Qi e-ink screen is widely available, that or another tech which can be switched between transmissive, backlit display mode or reflective, e-ink display mode may become very popular.

Before comfortably writing off all requests for on-board e-ink lighting as idiocy without apparently being aware that it's already been done and that another way to do it is on the horizon, it might be helpful to dial back the self-assurance half a notch or so. 

If someone phrases the request as backlighting, yes, with current tech that's not possible, but a functional equivalent is.  The request is really for a way to have an all-in-one e-ink reader that can be read w/o a separate thing to tote. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Inspired Wordsmith
chuck4prez
0 Kudos

Idiot is such a relative term.

ChipPM wrote:

Anyone that calls someone an idiot for wishing for innovation or improvement is narrowminded. Backlighting is typically something that can be turned off if someone does not like or need it. If the on/off button can not be found, it does not make those who like or want the feature an idiot.

Anybody that thinks an ereader should not offer options that are not available in DTBs is... restricting their options.

I'm thinking about complaining that I can't run turbotax on my NC. how wicked awesome would that be?

Distinguished Correspondent
vitaminbillwebb

Re: Idiot is such a relative term.

To me, it's not wanting innovation that's the problem. It's the desire for the impossible combined with complaints about that impossibility. Ten minutes of research into e-ink displays reveals that this just *can't * happen. If I want my DTBs to run Turbotax, and I start complaining to people that they don't, I'm not looking for innovation: I'm making an unreasonable demand. Perhaps "idiot" is strong. In fact, I'll drop the "perhaps" there and say it is strong. But the point still stands. You can't fault the NookTouch for not doing things that a.) it's very deliberately designed not to do (i.e. run a web browser) (although, if I understand things right the machine has been rooted and can probably run Dolphin) or b.) it's incapable, due to the limitations of its hardware, of doing. 

Faulting the NC for not running TurboTax? It's a little silly, but it's not unreasonable, because the machine is capable of running it, the software's just not available yet. Faulting it for not making toast? That's ridiculous. Faulting the NookTouch for not running a browser? It was deliberately designed not to run a browser in order to focus exclusively on reading, but its software could easily support one, so go right ahead and complain. The Kindle has a minimal browser, doesn't it? But no backlight? That's--given the technology as it exists today--impossible and thus a waste of time to complain about. Complaining because it doesn't function like a tablet--I assume this means you want it to run apps? I can only assume you haven't seen the thing running Angry Birds. Watch the rooted NookTouch run that app and you'll understand why it just. doesn't. work. on an e-ink screen. 

Yet. Give it a couple of years. Until then, complaints about wanting an e-ink tablet are as useless as complaints about an e-ink backlight.

But we've missed the important point here in our discussion about semantics: OP mentions buggy reading functionality which, we NookColor owners have seen plenty of. We need improvements to the core functionality of our platform. And it sounds like the NT may, too. If this is a pattern, we should be aware of it. OP, what kinds of bugs have you noticed in the reader? You say some books just don't work. How so? Do they fail to open, or are they missing functions?

VBW

Inspired Wordsmith
chuck4prez

TOAST!

vitaminbillwebb wrote:

-snip-

Faulting it for not making toast? That's ridiculous.

-snip-

aparently you have not yet read the threads on the charger issues. Like your toast burnt?