Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
bardon
0 Kudos

Nook color vs Nook 1st edition

I am the owner of both the Nook color & Nook 1st edition. Although the Nook color is great, it is missing things that were on the Nook 1st edition. Other than not having 3G, the Nook 1st edition has a dictionary that you could type in your own word to check spelling or definition. Nook color only checks the word while reading, unless your connected to the internet. (which you can't always be)

Also, I talked my good friend into purchasing the newest Nook. His battery lasts 10 times longer than the battery on Nook color, and Nook 1st edition. What do us loyal Nook enthusiast have to do to get a battery with a much LONGER battery life?

Bardon719

Distinguished Correspondent
JohnF76
0 Kudos

Re: Nook color vs Nook 1st edition

Have you looked at the Nook Simple Touch? It has up to 2 months of battery life (don't know about the dictionary).

As far as the Nook Color goes, the LCD screen is the problem...it just takes a lot of power to run that, and you don't see any LCD screens devices (Tablets or phones) that go more than a day or so of heavy usage.

For example, my wife needs to charge her Droid Incredible II every other day, and that phone is considered to have a very good battery life. So really, the NC is on average with power usage.

Inspired Wordsmith
sandie52

If I am not mistaken, the Nook 1st edition and the new Nook have a lot less features and capabilities than the Nook Color, and all of those features (web browsing, color displays, mp3 player, apps) is going to use a lot more battery than a b&w ereader. Comparing them by battery life alone is not an equal comparison.

Scribe
dfehling
0 Kudos

bardon wrote:

I am the owner of both the Nook color & Nook 1st edition. Although the Nook color is great, it is missing things that were on the Nook 1st edition. Other than not having 3G, the Nook 1st edition has a dictionary that you could type in your own word to check spelling or definition. Nook color only checks the word while reading, unless your connected to the internet. (which you can't always be)

Also, I talked my good friend into purchasing the newest Nook. His battery lasts 10 times longer than the battery on Nook color, and Nook 1st edition. What do us loyal Nook enthusiast have to do to get a battery with a much LONGER battery life?

Bardon719

You answered your own question - get a Nook Simple Touch like you talked your friend into! If you want a really long battery life, that's the way to go.

I too have both the Nook 1st edition and Nook Color. They each have their pros and cons, but I am much more in love with my Nook Color and all the extra cool fun things it can do. So what if I have to plug it in every night - I have to sleep sometime too anyway!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Attributed to Groucho Marx
Wordsmith
LectorGS
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I purchased my NC on July 26, 2011.  I have been playing with it ever since and I must admit that I am totally hooked.  I love the fact that there is so much one can do with it.  It's a bit heavier than my N1E, however, it compensates in terms of all the other applications it has. 

I now have all three Nooks and I say that all of them make me happy.

Happy Nook readings.

Lector GS
Contributor
bardon
0 Kudos

I get approx the same battery life out of my Nook 1st edition, as I do with my color Nook.

If they can put a long life battery into the new Nook, why than can't they put the same in Nook 1st edition.?

Bardon

Frequent Contributor
MikeNC
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

bardon wrote:

I get approx the same battery life out of my Nook 1st edition, as I do with my color Nook.

If they can put a long life battery into the new Nook, why than can't they put the same in Nook 1st edition.?

Bardon

The N1E and the N2E have the same capacity battery (1530mAh).  The difference in how long that battery powers the device is in the design and components of the device itself.  The N2E uses a newer eInk screen which is more energy efficient that the one in the N1E, and incorporates other, newer energy saving features and components.  Hence, it goes longer on the same capacity battery than the previous model.  There is not room in the N1E for a larger battery, and firmware updates cannot take the place of newer and more energy efficient hardware.

The NC has a much larger capacity battery (4000mAh) but also uses quite a bit more energy (especially the screen) than either the N1E and the N2E.  When I had my N1E, it lasted much longer on a charge than my NC will - NC is good for about 8-9hrs of continuous reading (in my experience, wifi off) while I know I used to be able to go at least 3 times that long reading with my N1E.  My N2E goes much longer still - at least 40+ hours of continuous reading (again, wifi off).

Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif

Trying to compare the Nookcolor to the Nook whatever version, is apple and oranges comparison, or like comparing a Porsch to a VW bug.  Just because VWs and Porschs were both made in Germany orginally by same mfg, both have engines and wheels, and each called an automobile, there is little else you can compare,

New User
Luke94
0 Kudos

I have a Droid Eris, and it struggles to last 1 complete day. I even bought a brand new battery for it.

New User
Luke94
0 Kudos

Can the NOOK 1st edition play games like the NOOK Color?

Distinguished Scribe
normysmom
0 Kudos

No...the Nookcolor runs apps similar to other Android devices, but through the B&N app store only. The Nook 1st edition has Sudoku and Crossword puzzles and a music player.
Nothing like a fire, a cat and a good Nook!
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

normysmom wrote:
No...the Nookcolor runs apps similar to other Android devices, but through the B&N app store only. The Nook 1st edition has Sudoku and Crossword puzzles and a music player.

The Nook 1st Edition has Sudoku and Chess, it does not have crossword puzzles.

Distinguished Scribe
normysmom
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:

normysmom wrote:

The Nook 1st Edition has Sudoku and Chess, it does not have crossword puzzles.

Sorry, my mistake! Those darn "C" words ;0)
Nothing like a fire, a cat and a good Nook!
Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Y'all know that the n1e was one of the first rooted nooks, right?  It was the device that had me paying attention to the nook platform - and the fanatical dev community - to start with. 

While there isn't a whole Android market full of nook apps, there is a pretty good selection here:

http://nookdevs.com/Application_Directory

Under games, there is a hangman, a crossword, a minesweeper and a Zax framework. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.