Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
cokids
0 Kudos

Nook not showing up as drive to sideload....

Bought, downloaded DVD Catalyst last night and copied a movie. This AM was ready to copy to Nook, but Nook did not turn up as drive....unplugged and replugged. Shut down and restarted Nook. Showed up for short time, but not long enough to copy movie.

What gives? Where is my Nook?

Beth

Suggrestions?

Wordsmith
JinSC
0 Kudos

Re: Nook not showing up as drive to sideload....

cokids wrote:

Showed up for short time, but not long enough to copy movie.

What gives? Where is my Nook?

Beth

Beth,

when you plugged the NC into your computer, did you swipe the green arrow to turn it on?  Did the grey box saying "USB connected" appear?

Jeremy

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

When you plug in and turn it on does your NC have a popup Saying "USB mode, You may now etc etc" ?

You may need to go into settings and set your screen timeout longer.

Also (if on a desktop) use one of the USB ports in the back. I have read that some PCs have limited use USBs on the front.

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

phoneboy wrote:

When you plug in and turn it on does your NC have a popup Saying "USB mode, You may now etc etc" ?

You may need to go into settings and set your screen timeout longer.

Also (if on a desktop) use one of the USB ports in the back. I have read that some PCs have limited use USBs on the front.

Further to phoneboy's response.  When I plug my Nook into the back of my computer, I also have to unplug my scanner.

Frequent Contributor
cokids
0 Kudos

Set time-out to 15 mins. and no, I'm not getting screen that says I have a USB connection and  I can now add things to my Nook. Something isn't working!

Beth

Frequent Contributor
cokids
0 Kudos

No green arrow shows up to turn it on, but I turned it on. Also USB box not appearing.

Beth

Frequent Contributor
cokids
0 Kudos

Working from 1 GB netbook with one USB outlet in front. Could this be the problem?

Beth

Frequent Contributor
cokids
0 Kudos

Maybe it's time to call tech support....is that 800-the-book?

Beth

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

cokids wrote:

Working from 1 GB netbook with one USB outlet in front. Could this be the problem?

Beth

Do you have access to another computer to try?

Frequent Contributor
cokids
0 Kudos

Yup, guess it's time to try another computer! Will let you know how it goes. Wonder if it's a faulty cord? Every time I move the Nook, the connection cuts out. Sometimes it connects; others not!

Beth

Frequent Contributor
cokids
0 Kudos

And now cause I've have to disconnect illegally, my books aren't showing up correctly! How do I fix that?

Beth

When I open what I'm reading, I get the instruction manual...no matter what I open!

Frequent Contributor
cokids
0 Kudos

Tried shutting down and restarting and the books now read fine. Still cannot sideload though and tried on a larger computer and it still won't work.

Last video I sideloaded didn't 'take.' It won't play. Sideload has worked sometimes and not others. Sometimes works. Thought it might be a cord problem, but it still works as a charger, so can't be that.

Guess it's time to call tech support?

Beth

Wordsmith
kingskidjan
0 Kudos

cokids wrote:

Tried shutting down and restarting and the books now read fine. Still cannot sideload though and tried on a larger computer and it still won't work.

Last video I sideloaded didn't 'take.' It won't play. Sideload has worked sometimes and not others. Sometimes works. Thought it might be a cord problem, but it still works as a charger, so can't be that.

Guess it's time to call tech support?

Beth

Beth,  look closely at your cord in good light.  Mine showed wires right around the cord by the end that goes into the NC.  It's not easy to see but can see the wires in bright light--had to get my daughter's young eyes to confirm.  Anyway, it would charge but not connect to the computer.  The new cord would connect right away.  By the way, check to see if your charger is getting hot--mine was with the damaged cord.

Also, try connecting to the back of the computer those usb ports are different than the ones on the front. My Zune requires one of those ports.  Also, wifi has to be off or mine won't connect.  

Let us know what happens.

Jan

Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

Beth,

You should also try a different USB cable.   The NookColor needs the cable that came packaged with it to charge, but it does NOT need it too connect to a computer via the USB port to transfer files.  If it connects with no problem to your computer, then I think that the original cable is defective.

Worth a try . . .

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Wordsmith
kingskidjan
0 Kudos

gandalf1369 wrote:

Beth,

You should also try a different USB cable.   The NookColor needs the cable that came packaged with it to charge, but it does NOT need it too connect to a computer via the USB port to transfer files.  If it connects with no problem to your computer, then I think that the original cable is defective.

Worth a try . . .

A different cable won't work on my Windows 7.  From what I understand Windows 7 has it's issues with connections.

Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif
0 Kudos

cokids, as much as you may not want to you may need to try resetting your Nookcolor to Factory reset.  I linked to a thread that has a video and how to.  There are a couple of ways to do it, but I did this one just as an experiment to make sure I knew how to do it and it works.

There is a little utility that lets you see the various usb things attached, or still open.  There may be a limit to how many USB connections that were previously open but are not actually closed on a Winbook or Netbook (I have no clue), but at least you can look, and close connections that were not previously closed correctly.  ( A connection not closed correctly is when you plug in a USB device or storage and instead of using the "Safely Remove Hardware", you simply unplug, this leaves the connection open in windows registery.) 

Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

kingskidjan wrote:

gandalf1369 wrote:

Beth,

Worth a try . . .

A different cable won't work on my Windows 7.  From what I understand Windows 7 has it's issues with connections.

What sort of connection issues??  I have successfully connected 3 separate nookcolors to three different computers all running Windows 7 (two running 64bit and one running 32bit) with no issues at all.

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Frequent Contributor
cokids
0 Kudos

Well, here's the fix....go to Device mANAGER AND DELETE nOOK, THEN REINSTALL.

It then works, but the card symbol doesn't show up. Shut down Nook; restart after removing and replacing card. It will then show up.

I'm getting tired of all these glitches! It shouldn't be so hard!!

Beth

DRV
Wordsmith
DRV
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

gandalf1369 wrote:

What sort of connection issues??  I have successfully connected 3 separate nookcolors to three different computers all running Windows 7 (two running 64bit and one running 32bit) with no issues at all.

I don't know if this is the problem the other poster meant but I, too, have intermittent problems connecting my NC to a Windows 7 desktop computer.  Sometimes only the internal (G: drive on my PC) won't connect but the SD card (H: drive) will, sometimes vice versa and sometimes neither will connect.  I just unplug and replug into one of the two USB connections on the front of my PC and hope for the best.  So far it's always connected but sometimes it takes a few tries.

Next time it acts up, I'll try a different cable.

Inspired Wordsmith
chuck4prez
0 Kudos

DRV wrote:

gandalf1369 wrote:

I don't know if this is the problem the other poster meant but I, too, have intermittent problems connecting my NC to a Windows 7 desktop computer.  Sometimes only the internal (G: drive on my PC) won't connect but the SD card (H: drive) will, sometimes vice versa and sometimes neither will connect.  I just unplug and replug into one of the two USB connections on the front of my PC and hope for the best.  So far it's always connected but sometimes it takes a few tries.

Next time it acts up, I'll try a different cable.

Something to try, takes less than 10 minutes. reinstall NC driver (so PC can recognize):

connect NC via USB.

click the start button, right click "computer" (or my computer), and click manage.

In the left window, click on "device manager".

In the right window, find the device that your computer thinks is the NC. If it is recognized, you should see something like "nook" or "b&n" or something that identifies it by name. If it is not recognized, it will most likely just say "mass storage device" or "usb storage device" or something along those lines.

If it is not recognized, you can identify which device is the NC by double clicking each device, and in the popup properties window, click on the details tab. In the dropdown menu, select "manufacturer", and the right one for the NC will indicate B&N.

Once you find the right driver, right click on it and click uninstall.

After the driver uninstalls, it may reinstall within a minute or so. If not, or if you are impatient, click on "action" in the menu bar, then "scan for hardware changes". choose the automatic option.

Check to see if computer recognizes NC.