Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
kingskidjan
0 Kudos

Re: Nook not showing up as drive to sideload....

Chuck, Thanks for the information.  Went to try using your info and what do you know, this morning the Nook (not NC) cable worked.  Like the other poster, sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't connect.  Had read in other threads that there were connection problems and I've experienced it with flash drives too.

Jan

DRV
Wordsmith
DRV
0 Kudos

chuck4prez wrote:

Something to try, takes less than 10 minutes. reinstall NC driver (so PC can recognize):

[snip]

Check to see if computer recognizes NC.

Wow, less than 10 minutes is still a long time to clear up this problem.  Any idea if this is a Windows or NC problem?  I.e., should we be telling B&N/Sam about it and asking for a fix?

If I remember (and I'm not in an impatient mood) I'll try this "less than 10 minute" solution the next time my PC won't mount my NC drives.

Thanks.

Frequent Contributor
cokids
0 Kudos

Yup, this is what I did to get it to work. But then my card didn't show up and I had to run Nook off and on again to get it to reappear. The card had to be removed and reinserted while the Nook was off.

Beth

Too many problems!!

DRV
Wordsmith
DRV
0 Kudos

OK, ran into this problem today.  Tried the driver uninstall/reinstall that chuck4prez described above.

First problem is that the NC does not appear in the list of USB Mass Storage Devices.  I find a generic "USB Mass Storage Device" listed among the USB Host Controllers and Root Hubs.  When I double click this device and look at the Manufacturer property under the Details tab and it says "Compatible USB storage device".  I have a feeling this is the right device because it disappears from the list when I unplug the NC and reappears when I plug it in again.

I right clicked and uninstalled the driver then clicked Action and did the scan for new devices.  The NC was found and the new driver was installed.  I didn't get any options so I couldn't choose automatic (or anything else).  The autoplay windows popped up and the NC seems to be recognized now.

Any idea what causes this and if this uninstall/reinstall will have to be done periodically?

Frequent Contributor
cokids
0 Kudos

Mine recognized it for awhile and then stopped, so expect it's going to be an ongoing problem!

Perhaps this is an issue B&N can address with the next update?

Beth

Frequent Contributor
cokids
0 Kudos

Will try disconnecing wifi and see how that goes...will let you know.

Beth

Distinguished Correspondent
gaming_grandma
0 Kudos

I had the same problem.  After trying everything, I took the NC USB cord back to B&N.  They were kind enough to trade me for another and the problem disappeared.  The old cord looked fine, it just stopped connecting properly to my computer.