Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Mentalic

Nook power button issue

Hi,

I have been having strange issues with my Nook color. My power button seems to either very sensitive or very unresponsive. When I have to switch off my Nook, pressing the Nook button doesn't work at all. If I tap the back cover a few times or touch the left bezel of the nook, it just shuts off. No "cancel or power off" option.

Also, if I have to restart it, pressing the power button does not wake it up. I have to connect it via USB either to my laptop or the power adapter to boot it up.

Also, I have noticed, it just randomly reboots at times.

Anyone know what the issue could be?

Thanks

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

Re: Nook power button issue

Its broke, return it for a replacement.
Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Contributor
Mentalic
0 Kudos

I wish I could return it. I am out of the country, and these guys dont do international shipping.

Wordsmith
dparrothead1
0 Kudos

Is your NC rooted?  And if so, what program.

Life is not about weathering the storms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!

It's a semi-true story!
phoneboy
0 Kudos

Well that's not good. Maybe a friend in the States? The shipping costs may not be worth it. B&N cust service may be able to help come up with a solution. Try asking for a supervisor right off. Good luck.
Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Contributor
Mentalic
0 Kudos

Yes. Its rooted. Autonooter 2.* with Android 2.1

Frequent Contributor
justsayyes
0 Kudos

The first thing I'd suggest is going on the market and downloading a new version of SoftKeys (or whatever you are using to serve the same function).  If that doesn't work, switch to a different soft key program.

If neither works, then I suggest a system reset which I believe will take you back to Firmware v1.0.1 and see if that fixes the problem.  If it does, then you know something got corrupted in the rooting process or a poorly designed app caused a failure in some root process. 

Assuming you now have a working home button after reset, then update your NC to 1.1.0.  If all is fine, THEN root using auto-nooter 3.0 and see what happens.  Assuming you have the microSD card handy from the original root, it's worth the 20 minutes of so to try.

Mentalic wrote:

Yes. Its rooted. Autonooter 2.* with Android 2.1

Wordsmith
dparrothead1
0 Kudos

Did you reformat you sd card after you rooted it?  If not, the every time you turn it completely off, then it will have to be connected to the usp port on your computer to reboot.

Once you've nooted your device, you probably want to reformat your card back to its normal filesystem and capacity so you can use it in your Nook.

You might want to download a launcher program.  I use zeam and it works very well.  You can find it in the market and it's free.

1. Power down your Nook Color by holding the Power button for 3+ seconds and Power Off when prompted
  2. When it's off, remove the MicroSD Card
  3. Power the Nook Color back on
  4. When it's booted, re-insert the MicroSD card
  5. Go to Settings, Device Information, SD Card
  6. Unmount the SD Card if it's mounted
  7. Format SD ca
Life is not about weathering the storms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!

It's a semi-true story!
Contributor
Mentalic
0 Kudos

Hi Justsayyes,

Thank you for your suggestion. I haven't tried updating it to NC 1.1.0

Instead, I installed CM7 rc4 on my sd card, and using that to boot the NC.

I still have the power button issues, as well as the power up on USB connection issue.

Thanks

Contributor
Mentalic
0 Kudos

Hi dparrothead1,

Yes. I had formatted my sd card after nooting. But, that didn't help much w.r.t to resolving the issue.

Thanks

New User
JStandard
0 Kudos

I'm running a rooted NC on CM7 and have the same issue.  After pouring over quite a few threads as well as experimentation, I'm convinced it's poor hardware build quality.  The issue has continued to degrade and now the slightest pressure will set the button off.

Seems like we're in the same boat in more ways than one as I'm also out of the country for another month and a half.

Were you ever able to get this resolved?

roustabout
0 Kudos

I am running a standard rooted system, and I am not having this much trouble, but I am noticing that both the volume and the power buttons seem to be a bit doubtful.

However, if I'm running a rooted system, it means I'm a hacker, right?  It also means I've probably been hard-powering the device more than the design expected (ie, when I want that thing off, not just the screen?  I know I personally have applied much more pressure, often while exercising the fun parts of my active vocabulary, than you use just to turn off the screen.) 

Any rate, I think a little open the beast and evaluate might be in order. 

When one of these buttons dies on me, as i'm sure it will, I'll get out the ZDnet teardown to refresh my memory of how to pry it apart, and then try taking a can of air and blowing out the power switch with the back off.  I'll also look to see if there's obviously a dodgy contact that's visible.

If I were in your shoes, that's where I'd start.  My memory is that you can just run around the edge with a screwdriver to pull the backplane off and get more medieval on it from there. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.