Reader 2
ediei
0 Kudos

NookColor Battery Life

Brought my nook color with me to Mexico last week.  I had downloaded books from my public library and had purchased a few.

Love it!

My only complaint is the battery life.  Laying by the pool for more than a couple of hours and I started getting warnings that my battery was low.

Are there any tricks to extending the battery life?

Frequent Contributor
JamieOutlaw
0 Kudos

Re: NookColor Battery Life

[ Edited ]

Two suggestions ... Turn off WiFi, that will make a noticeable difference in battery life.  WiFi-enabled devices constantly poll for hotspots, so leaving it on when you are not actually purchasing a book or otherwise using it will unnecessarily use power.

Turn down the brightness of the screen as well, the brighter the screen, the more power it requires.

Reader 2
ediei
0 Kudos

Thanks!  I'll do both.

Reader
amg123
0 Kudos

I am disappointed with the very short battery life, despite the two suggestions to prolong the life.  Without car charger I can read for only a few hours before the battery runs low.  With the higher price compared to the Kindel I would have a hard time endorsing the Nook to any friends.  I fear that the next generation will have a much improved battery and I will be stuck with my current inefficient model.  Again, very disappointed and feel that I have been ripped off.

Reader
amg123
0 Kudos

By the way,when I purchased the Nook  I was told that the battery life would be 8 hours.  When I told BN staff that i got only a few hours all they did was smile-- is this an inside joke or out and out deception?

Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25
0 Kudos

If you feel you've been ripped off, you should return it.  By the way, when you're booting up your Nook, what phrase comes on the screen?

Inspired Contributor
BanjoBen
0 Kudos

You should get 8 hours of use with wifi off and brightness close to the minimum setting. If you leave wifi on or turn up the brightness or even just do processor-intensive tasks like watching movies you should expect a decline in battery life.
Frequent Contributor
DJ_Boxer
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Also when you turn it on again from a power-off state, it will drain battery.  When not in use as well as Wifi off and brightness low, put the Nook Colour to sleep by clicking the power button once as if you are typing a letter on the keyboard or dialing a phone number (this info is stated for everyone to know in a simple manner).

DJ

Distinguished Correspondent
DrAstro
0 Kudos

If you only get a couple of hours out of the battery you either have a defective model or have the wifi on and brightness all the way up.  I get at least 4 hours surfing the web, listening to music, and watching videos on my SD card CM7 and THAT battery life is really bad.  On the stock, I can get around 10 hours of reading with WIFI turned off and the screen brightness turned down.

BN_Cece
0 Kudos

Hi ediei,

Charging Recommendations:

Your NOOK contains a lithium ion battery.  To maximize battery life:

-  Avoid fully discharging the battery.  Charge your NOOK Color after several hours of use or when you see the low charge alert, rather than continuing to use it until it turns itself off.

-  Avoid high temperatures for charging, use and storage.

-  Charge the battery half way before storing your NOOK Color for a week or more.

Reader 4
HerbertW
0 Kudos

As others said, it's all in how you use it.  I have several hundred mp3's on my NookColor that I like to play while I sleep to cut out background noise.  After running for 8 or 9 hours I find I still have about half my battery left. Now, understand that's with screen turned off, and minimum volume for my earphones.

"This We'll Defend"
Distinguished Wordsmith
rbentley101
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I know it has been said above, but I just want to emphasize that if you are only getting a couple of hours of battery life when ONLY reading books your battery and/or Nook is defective.  It is still under warranty, all NC's are.  Take it into a B&N and have them check it for you or call customer service. 

If you are only reading books, have wifi off and screen brightness down to the 25% or less, you should be getting 8 hours or so.  Browsing the internet, watching movies and playing games that have active screen animations will take a greater toll on your battery life.

If you are rooted there are additional Apps you can get which may help extend your battery life such as JuiceDefender and Advanced Task Killer.

Frequent Contributor
ratman6161
0 Kudos

Another possible thing to try...

Now that the Nook Color can run Apps other than what came on it, you may sometimes encouter the same problem we sometimes see on Android phones.  Apps can sometimes be doing things in the background that drain the battery.

For example, I have the Touchdown Email client software which allows me to use my Nook Color to connect to my corporate email account (I use the same software on my droid).  I had the settings for this mail client set to "push" which means that it is constantly syncing with the mail server so that it can deliver messages, calendar updates etc. in real time.  I found this put a big hit on battery life.  This seemed to be true even with wi-fi turned off.  To correct this I just set the software to poll the mail server every 5 minutes rather than "push" and this really helped.

So if you are running Apps, also consider what those apps may be doing in the background.

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

ediei wrote:

Brought my nook color with me to Mexico last week.  I had downloaded books from my public library and had purchased a few.

Love it!

My only complaint is the battery life.  Laying by the pool for more than a couple of hours and I started getting warnings that my battery was low.

Are there any tricks to extending the battery life?

Yep as mentioned critical to turn off wifi.

As to reading outside is your main complaint won't be able to turn down brightness much. As that will impact readability.

For outdoor reading it's critical to get an anti-glare screen protector. And don't use polorized sunglasses which makes the nook color unreadable. Also some finding a better reading experience to read in sunlight in the Night-mode (Black Background/White letering).

When in shade or indoors then can turn down the brightness to minimum and wifi always off until needed.

I always get at least 8hrs. But don't wifi or game,watch video's much. Mostly just read with occasional wifi check email,etc of 10mins or less. Then switch the wifi off.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/