Contributor
Sunnyville
0 Kudos

NookColor Not Supporting WMA?

I think NC is great and I love it.  But does anyone know why it's not made to support WMA (Windows Media Audio), which is a wide accepted audio format anyway?  Is there something going on between B&N and Microsoft?    

Correspondent
retiefBD
0 Kudos

Questions on Adobe Digital Editions and Overdrive

[ Edited ]

Not a B&N issue at all: http://blogs.computerworld.com/18067/why_did_google_drop_support_for_microsoft_wma_audio_files_from_...

Issue is between Google and Microsoft.  I think it is a case of which company has the "biggest".  The post does give some options.  You can convert your WMA/WMV to MP3, or root and find an Android player.

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

Re: NookColor Not Supporting WMA?

Sunnyville wrote:

I think NC is great and I love it.  But does anyone know why it's not made to support WMA (Windows Media Audio), which is a wide accepted audio format anyway?  Is there something going on between B&N and Microsoft?    

Microsoft is suing B&N, but that's a recent development.   I seriously doubt that has anything to do with not supporting wma files.    I presume it has more to do with the nook being an eReader with music player capabilities and thus only supporting the most popular formats.    Just like video, it only supports certain types of video, only supports certain types of eBooks and so forth.

---------
Don
Correspondent
mogulman
0 Kudos

Re: NookColor Not Supporting WMA?

My library has a  big selection of audio books in WMV format so listening to on the NC is not possible.  I am sure I could figure out how to convert them to mp3 but I would be breaking the use agreement which I don't want to do. 

Contributor
Sunnyville
0 Kudos

Re: don't blame B&N

Thanks for the lead.  Thought there was something behind it but didn't know what.     I borrow audiobooks from e-library, and the wma format audiobooks are not allowed to be converted to any other format because of the digital-copyright protection.  Well, it might explain why a lot of mp3 format audiobooks are checked out from elibrary while many of them in wma format are still available.

Correspondent
retiefBD
0 Kudos

Sunnyville wrote:

Thanks for the lead.  Thought there was something behind it but didn't know what.     I borrow audiobooks from e-library, and the wma format audiobooks are not allowed to be converted to any other format because of the digital-copyright protection.  Well, it might explain why a lot of mp3 format audiobooks are checked out from elibrary while many of them in wma format are still available.

Glad the info was of some help.  While I think that "blame" is certainly in order, in this case we shouldn't be pointing at B&N, but at MS and Google.

This is really interesting, I didn't realize this about library audiobooks, I have not tried that yet.  Since you seem knowledgeable in this area, do all of these require the Adobe Digital Editions software?  I have seen reference to Overdrive Media Console as well, this also won't handle the WMA files on Android?

Sorry if these are basic questions, but I have not yet had time to research this myself any further than knowing the darned names.  I could very easily be mixing Apples and Qumquats here.

Thanks,

Inspired Wordsmith
sandie52
0 Kudos

I would think you would use Overdrive to put MP3 audiobooks on the NC  - at least Overdrive is what you use to check them out and download them and Overdrive is what I use to put them on my MP3 player.

I'll give it a try this weekend.

Correspondent
retiefBD
0 Kudos

sandie52 wrote:

I would think you would use Overdrive to put MP3 audiobooks on the NC  - at least Overdrive is what you use to check them out and download them and Overdrive is what I use to put them on my MP3 player.

I'll give it a try this weekend.

Thanks, and looking it appears that Overdrive is MP3 only.  What a royal pain this is for those trying to borrow audiobooks.  I'm surprised that the book publishers are not providing more in the way of MP3, as this is a far more universal format than WMV.

Contributor
Sunnyville
0 Kudos

Yes you'll need the Overdrive Media Console to borrow and download audiobook from elibrary.  which used to be for audiobooks exclusively (in mp3 as well as wma format) but now has been upgrated to handle both audio- and e-books.  The Adobe Digital Edition is for e-books only. 

http://emedialibrary.lib.overdrive.com/578CC412-547B-4D86-BE47-4CED24A63756/10/384/en/default.htm

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

I blame the Man.  And all those who do his evil corporate bidding - Microsoft, Google, BN, Amazon, GE, the lot of them.

Brothers and sisters, put on your looting shoes, and let us smash the state! 

OK. 

In order to get WMA/WMV to even maybe kind of work on the NC, you're going to have to root it so you can install software on your own.  Both formats are proprietary Microsoft formats and Google's not going to bother supporting them.  Google has its own ideas about a/v compression. 

To add to the wrinkles, I would expect your library book WMA files to have DRM (and the DRM may actually prevent you from making mp3s from them, but that I don't know.)  There is a specific book player, the Ambling Book Player, which supports some WMA files but not WMA files with digital rights management. 

VLC media player supports wma, but is not yet available for Android and may not support DRM + wma. 

There are apps that say they support wma and wmv.  I don't have many  files of that type to test with but so far the freebies are zero for two on being able to play wma files.  (Vplayer and Poweramp)

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.