Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
zambokneeAW

NookColor sucks

I got a NookColor for Christmas and, aside from the 1st 3 days after getting it, it's been nothing but trouble.

WiFi didn't work worth a d*** until I downloaded the 1.0.1 update and since then a book that I was able to download and read wouldn't work anymore, magazine subscriptions come and go (MacLife, Newsweek), customer support is clueless and wants to charge me for a new replacement, the store help people chat with the New Jersey office to no avail (when they're not just resetting the device).

Tech support says they're having server issues that won't be fixed til the END OF THIS MONTH!

I'm pissed, I'm mad and I'm gonna ditch this pretty brick for an ipad or Kindle.

Barnes and Noble: What's better to get the product out with bugs or delay the release until you know you have a product you can stand by?

This device is just good in theory but poor in execution.

Inspired Wordsmith
sandie52
0 Kudos

Re: NookColor sucks

I haven't had a second of problems. I didn't have any problem with my home wifi or at B&N or at work. I've purchased books and had them download in the time it took to wash my hands. I've downloaded books from my library and put them on my NookColor without any problems.  I din't have the update on the first couple weeks I had it and didn't notice the difference when the update installed.

Inspired Correspondent
ladytonya

Sounds like you got a bad unit, just exchange it. If you have trouble, ask for a supervisor or a manager. I've had mine since Christmas with only one minor problem which is being fixed. There were known issues with the wifi which were fixed with 1.0.1. What other issues are you having? If you post more details in the tech support forum, I wiuld be willing to bet they'll be fixed. This is a great little device, don't give up on it so soon!
Inspired Scribe
riffrafff

Retry, reboot, replace, or return.  :smileywink:

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Wordsmith
jeanniepep

I got a troll for Christmas and at first I was so excited but NOTHING has worked the way its supposed to and I am so pissed!  It keeps showing up where it's not wanted and does nothing but complain, it's rude and stupid and it smells weird, I just absolutely hate it. The salesperson said it was going to be cute and it's really ugly too, they lied to me!

I don't have any questions or want any help, I just wanted to tell all you who like trolls that you are dumb because they SUCK! I am returning this piece of crap troll and getting a gnome or an elf because anything would be better than this!

Contributor
zambokneeAW
0 Kudos

Are you being facetious? 

I TRIED taking it back but they kept wanting to reset.  reset, reset, reset!

Also, the keyboard wasn't working while it was plugged in.  It would put in multiple letters when I tap the key once.

I'd LOVE to be able to take it back and exchange but B&N seems to be against doing this for some reason.

I've done everything I'm supposed to: call tech support, go to store, reset, but nothing is working.

Wordsmith
KingAl
0 Kudos

Um, are you even aware that the iPad had many issues when released, some of which have not been fixed?

Inspired Contributor
Aunt_Pie
0 Kudos

Sorry to hear you are having problems. I've had my Nook Color since the first week they were introduced, and it works like a charm.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Grinchy1
0 Kudos

So sorry to hear that there are two of you having so much trouble. But I do agree with the others, that it sounds like a unit problem.And that can happen with everything. I think you need to focus your angry to the store it was bought at, because they can't get away with selling that is damaged or doesn't work.

I have had mine since Christmas and it works just fine. (knock on wood) I even was able to get ADE and transfer the Sony books I had bought to my Nookcolor.

I guess like with everything.....there is always people who are not going to like something.

Good luck.

www.redbubble.com/people/grinch
Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

jeanniepep wrote:

I got a troll for Christmas and at first I was so excited but NOTHING has worked the way its supposed to and I am so pissed!  It keeps showing up where it's not wanted and does nothing but complain, it's rude and stupid and it smells weird, I just absolutely hate it. The salesperson said it was going to be cute and it's really ugly too, they lied to me!

I don't have any questions or want any help, I just wanted to tell all you who like trolls that you are dumb because they SUCK! I am returning this piece of crap troll and getting a gnome or an elf because anything would be better than this!

Way to go!!!!  Excellent post !!!!  :smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Inspired Contributor
Atomant

zambokneeAW wrote:

I've done everything I'm supposed to: call tech support, go to store, reset, but nothing is working.

Did you talk to the store manager ? If so, I'm curious about the response you received.

Sorry to hear about your NC and sorry about some of the rude posts.

Inspired Contributor
Zxybabydoll
0 Kudos

Ummm... I don't know if I am being Mrs. Obvious. But YOU are the purchaser, do NOT take there crap! Do NOT give them a choice, they will need to at LEAST EXCHANGE the device for a Working Model! Especially since you have done ALL THE BS THAT THEY ASKED YOU TO DO! You may have to be a bit "cranky" with them but if it gets you a working unit, then it will be worth it. I do want to mention that this device is really a delight to use when you get a properly working unit. I can't express enough to tell you to give it a chance. It seems to me that ANYONE who gives this device a chance isn't disappointed. And it will only get better as we get our updates. Really, this device is an important piece of equipment for many of us Nook Color users.
Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

jeanniepep wrote:

Yea!

Good reply

---------
Don
Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

zambokneeAW wrote:

Are you being facetious? 

I TRIED taking it back but they kept wanting to reset.  reset, reset, reset!

Also, the keyboard wasn't working while it was plugged in.  It would put in multiple letters when I tap the key once.

I'd LOVE to be able to take it back and exchange but B&N seems to be against doing this for some reason.

I find that difficult to believe.   The double-typing while plugged in is a know problem and B&N HAS been replacing the chargers...which fixes the problem.

Others have reported that the B&N stores gladly exchange NC's when you can demonstrate a problem to them.    I'd be surprised if your B&N store was any different.   Have you tried to discuss this with the store manager?

---------
Don
Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

donc13 wrote:

jeanniepep wrote:

Yea!

Good reply

Wonder why mine is sooooo perfect. I guess I'm just lucky.

Distinguished Correspondent
MiniMischief

It's not singing in Latin when the dog barks twice?  Well, then take it back.

Jeaniepep, you are hysterical.

To the OP, I am sorry you are having difficulty and we are trying to help, but when you come to our house and tell us we have an ugly baby (as deemure said once) we tend to get a little miffed. It is a wonderful device and yours is obviously defective. 

If everyone was having this problem there would be NO ONE singing it's praises, you know?  Here's to hoping you get a working model and then you'll see what a great little ereader you've got.

Life is too short to read bad books. . .
Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat

donc13 wrote:

The double-typing while plugged in is a know problem and B&N HAS been replacing the chargers...which fixes the problem.

I had that problem when I first got the NC and thought the keyboard was a hot mess. It took me 3 hours of deleting duplicated letters to try and get my unit registered and I finally gave up, thinking I'd have to take it back to the store (170 miles round trip). I also remember thinking that I wouldn't be using the keyboard much if that was how it acted.

Then, lo and behold, I saw the thread in these forums that said yup, it does that when it's plugged in for some reason. (Most likely because the unit is concentrating on the charging circuitry and not the functionality circuitry, chip sets are funny that way.)

So I waited for the little light to turn green, unplugged it, and got it registered in less than 2 minutes. It's worked like a charm and connects to my WEP encrypted router just fine, as well as various free wi-fi sites around town.

Like everyone has already said, take it back and get a new one. Register it and do the update right there, in the store, on the spot. Download some free books on the spot and open them up.

Then the only thing you will need to do yourself at home is set it up to access wi-fi via your home router. If your router is set up as a secure network, then you need to ask whoever set it up for the key or password. The nook will pop up a screen and ask what kind of key is needed, most are just regular WEP keys, and then it will ask you to input the key or password.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Correspondent
Traff
0 Kudos

My keyboard gets a bit overexcited when the Nook's plugged in, but I just unplug it to type and then plug it back in again.  I can't imagine any situation where I'm going to have to type so much that battery power won't be enough.   I'm going to be reading novels on it, not writing 'em. 

Although, having said that, I *might* try out some of the demo units' power supplies next time I'm in B&N.  If I find that the keyboard problem goes away completely then maybe I'll try to exchange my charger,

Frequent Contributor
Foot

[ Edited ]

Don't be embarrassed, not everyone has the technical know-how to be early adopters of great new technology. I agree with you. The iPad is probably much better choice for you. Apple is very good at controlling a users experience than most Android adopters.

I hope it works better for you