Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25
0 Kudos

[OT] Do I need a smartphone if I have a tablet?

Ok, so I'm one of those laggers who is still working with the old fashioned "dumb" cell phones.  I just saw a good deal on an Android Smartphone that will be on sale on Black Friday.  Part of me would love to get it, part of me says "I have an Android tablet with my Nook Color that can run all the apps I want."

If you have an Android tablet.....is there a need for an Android phone? What do you think?  

Distinguished Correspondent
Nookycooky
0 Kudos

Re: [OT] Do I need a smartphone if I have a tablet?

Go get it if it's a good deal.  My 9 year old tiny LG flip phone did not do well during CTs week of power outrage.  I don't know what kind to get to replace it.  Can anyone offer a bit of advice?

I need bluetooth to sync with my new Honda, but don't care about the apps and all because of Richard's sensible observation...NC has the apps...why pay twice?  Thank you R for reminding me that there should be a SALE on Black Friday!  Advice anyone...for R or for me? Thanks.

Nookycooky and Oliver Nook

PS Oliver is having his first Birthday on Nov. 26.  :smileyhappy:

All charged up and ready to go...my Nook's are too....
Frequent Contributor
MIM49
0 Kudos

I purchased a cell that does not require a mandatory Package (extra $29.95) My NookColor does everything and more that a smartphone can do with a decent sized screen to view. The only thing I wish my NC had was a camera so I would not have to use my PC to get pictures.

Inspired Contributor
Trekkie7

[ Edited ]

What do we use cell phones for?  To make a phone call (phone home).  Get a basic phone that sounds good, is easy to read and has a small monthly charge.  Buy it and use the NC for what it was made for.  Do you like looking at those little-itty-bitty birdies flying around on a little-bitty screen and little-itty cards or little-itty-bitty characters running around or do you like your games and books on a 7-inch screen you can actually see?

I traded in my dumbphone, uh smartphone, and purchased a MiFi and a basic phone for the same price as what I was paying before.  Now Nookie-Wookie can connect at lunch time, in the car, at the beach, in the forest, on the Moon (well maybe not there), on the lake, etc. 

Scribe
dfehling
0 Kudos

For me, yes - I still need a smartphone. My NookColor obviously doesn't make phone calls. Nor do I have a decent way to store contacts. (Even the Contact Plus app stinks, IMHO - nothing syncs with Outlook.) On my smartphone, I have 3G and bluetooth and GPS, all of which I don't have on my stock NC. I can run a lot more apps on my Android phone because I have these things as well as a camera and a mic. I use the voice-to-text feature a lot (though I am hoping the NookTablet will utilize the mic for this, I am not banking on it.) 

And, most of all, my smartphone easily fits in my pocket so it literally goes everywhere with me.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Attributed to Groucho Marx
Inspired Contributor
BeachCatFan

richardwrite25 wrote:

Ok, so I'm one of those laggers who is still working with the old fashioned "dumb" cell phones.  I just saw a good deal on an Android Smartphone that will be on sale on Black Friday.  Part of me would love to get it, part of me says "I have an Android tablet with my Nook Color that can run all the apps I want."

If you have an Android tablet.....is there a need for an Android phone? What do you think?  

Okay, I am going to be perfectly honest here. No, you do not need a smartphone, especially if you have an Android tablet. I understand the "good deal" on a phone thing............but that good deal comes with the higher monthly fee for your data plan. And, all of those things you are reading on your tablet? You will be reading on a very small screen. All of the games you are playing on your tablet? You will be playing them on a much smaller screen. I have a smartphone and was even a beta tester for Motorola on several Android upgrades and various phones. After three years I can honestly say that the novelty of such a phone has worn off and when my contract is up, I will go back to a dumbphone. Can't switch now, because there's a fee for dropping the data plan.

True, you can use your phone as a GPS, but, trust me, as soon as you start Google Maps up, you'd better have your phone plugged into your car charger..........it will suck your battery dry in no time at all! I have a dedicated GPS for the car, anyway..........and I can actually see that screen!!

Unless you are a person that needs to constantly get every email, tweet, and FB post on a moment's notice and needs to reply immediately, then I would say, no, you do not need a smartphone. It's just another shiny, new toy, otherwise. And Android phones are ALWAYS on sale..........right before a new one comes out (sound familiar? LMAO) It's not really the phone that makes money for the cellphone provider, it's the data plans.

Distinguished Correspondent
TNTLamb

[ Edited ]

You don't need a smart phone IF your tablet has GPS, camera, and 3G otherwise you are very limited. The camera does so much more than take pictures. GPS does much more for you than just navigation. Depending on yur data package wither your smart phone or Tablet can operates as a "mifi" without any additional charge.

There are 293 ways to make changes for a dollar.... No wonder we see things differently
Correspondent
tuck229

[ Edited ]

The question you need to answer is why are you thinking of getting a smartphone?  If there's something it does that you need and your NC can't, then go for it.  If it's just for the novelty factor, then pass maybe.  Honestly, after I got my NC three months ago, I am no longer interested in or impressed by overpriced smartphones.  My next phone will be much simpler (what they call a "texting phone"), which is cheaper anyway.  I have found that my NC is with me almost as much as my phone.

I have had a smartphone for a couple years.  I wanted one to be able to check the web/e-mail when not at home and also be able to type/edit on Word documents.  A laptop is simply too inconvenient to carry around a lot of the time.  I remember downloading a ton of apps and then realizing most of them are a novelty and not that useful.  Yes, plenty of useful apps, but the pointless/stupid/annoying far outnumber them, IMHO, in the apple and android marketplaces. The first time I was on the web on a phone, it was more than cool.  After the novelty of it wore off, I don't access the web on my phone unless absolutely needed--the screen is just too small to enjoy the web on.  And, the data plan you typically are required to have with a cell phone is an expense I am not interested in.  Yes, I was beginning to experience smartphone-burnout before getting my NC, but that sealed the deal. 

If the phone is honestly a good deal, you have the cash to spare, and you don't mind a required data plan from your provider, then go for it.  (Cell carriers can detect the phone you use and will automatically add a data plan to your smartphone.  I managed to "sneak" mine through AT&T's radar, but you have to be willing to make a few sacrifices in order to do so.)

Frequent Contributor
cindylee60

Since you don't have a smart phone currently, you probably wouldn't need one in addition to your NC.

Myself, however.....making phone calls is the LAST thing I do with cell phone! I text (my primary form of communitcation outside face to face talking), browse the internet, and use the GPS and Google Maps Navigator all the time. I maintain my shopping list, appointments, and reminders on my smart phone and it goes absolutely everywhere with me. I couldn't live without it. If my cable (and therefore, WiFi) goes out, I can still get internet on my phone.

My NC is for my enjoyment, my android smart phone is for my sanity.

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,240
0 Kudos

richardwrite25 wrote:

... part of me says "I have an Android tablet with my Nook Color that can run all the apps I want."

Do you want 3G data access, or need a GPS (eg, mapping)?  That's really the main issue.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
2 Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.