Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif
0 Kudos

On the set of Yard Crashers TV show

Yo all, I am on the set of HGTV or DIY network show Yard Crashers hosted by Ahmed Hassan.  My son and his new bride as of sept 2010 were chosen here in Sacramento for a back yard make over.  The TV show set is our son's backyard.  So for today and tomorrow a lot of sweat.  Between our family and his wife's we have about 20 people helping so the work is going fast.  Anyone that has watched Yard Crashers may have wondered if Ahmed actually does any of the work.  YES he actually gets in there and works.  Ahmed is a super guy, funny and lively, it is easy to see how he got the show. 

I don't know when my son's backyard makeover will be televised, sometime in the fall.  Well I have to go for makeup call, and sound check, its tough being a backyard reality TV extra :smileysurprised:...

Later..

Can't wait to get home and jump in the pool.

Correspondent
karen-atl
0 Kudos

Re: On the set of Yard Crashers TV show

Wow, that's awesome! Love that show, wish they would come to my yard in Georgia! LOL! Enjoy, and let us know when the show airs! Or post pics...

yocalif wrote:

Yo all, I am on the set of HGTV or DIY network show Yard Crashers hosted by Ahmed Hassan.  My son and his new bride as of sept 2010 were chosen here in Sacramento for a back yard make over.  The TV show set is our son's backyard.  So for today and tomorrow a lot of sweat.  Between our family and his wife's we have about 20 people helping so the work is going fast.  Anyone that has watched Yard Crashers may have wondered if Ahmed actually does any of the work.  YES he actually gets in there and works.  Ahmed is a super guy, funny and lively, it is easy to see how he got the show. 

I don't know when my son's backyard makeover will be televised, sometime in the fall.  Well I have to go for makeup call, and sound check, its tough being a backyard reality TV extra :smileysurprised:...

Later..

Can't wait to get home and jump in the pool.

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

That is so cool. You have to let us know when it airs. I love that show, it has so many great ideas.

Wordsmith
melouria
0 Kudos

That is so awesome!  We love that show.  Please do let us know when it airs.

Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif
0 Kudos

It's a WRAP!  My son and wife have a beautiful completely  new backyard, all new red wood fencing with a redwood upper and lower deck, sand fire pit surrounded with bench sitting, new built-in BBQ, surrounded with Japanese styled landscaping, 10' water fall.  His backyard is really small, the styling makes it feel larger and now useable.  THANKS YARD CRASHERS!

The decking and two tier covered pergola is all red wood, very expensive, I overheard the gen. contractor say between $15,000-20,000.  One of the benches is a beautiful solid single wood piece like a table top, sitting on a very heavy I beam of steel.  Besides custom made benches, slate pavers and several tons of crushed rock (no grass in this backyard), lots of new shrubs and several small trees, several French drains trenches leading to sump drain, (which was not in original plan, but my son convinced them the drainage problems had been overlooked).   Believe it or not, and this isn't a complaint, there are still lots of little things to do, one of them is sealing all the wood, they just couldn’t do the sealing and complete the project in two days then shoot the close, everything would have been wet with sealer. 

We had about 25 family and friends to help, with LOTS and LOTS of WORK!  Everything went real fast.  I think we had his old backyard completely down to bare earth and fencing in 2 hours, which was so encased with huge bushes, you couldn't even see the back corner, surprisingly had a tiny grove of bamboo, that fit perfect into the Asian style motif. 

Tips on getting selected.  First you have to fit the age demographic, 28-40 maybe 45.  Have some personality, something unique about yourselves,  my son & wife are recently married (Sept 2010),  she is part Asian.  Just bought the house.  They had made up a little jingle which incorporated , “Yard Crashers and we love Ahmed, plus something about horrible back yards to beautiful” they kept singing when the producer and his staff were near as they sifted through the long line (over 300 couples) of prospects.  I think they wore matching t-shirts so they stood out.

I don’t know when the show will air on TV, sometime in Aug or Sept.  You will know which show because all the family and friends are wearing grey t-shirts that say “We ♥ Yard Crashers.  It was a great two days, I sure learned a lot about my daughter-in-laws family, they are super people and my son married into a great family.

Inspired Wordsmith
chuck4prez
0 Kudos

Were you successful in getting a few seconds of air time for the NC worked into the footage assuming it doesn't get edited out?
Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Ahmed on day 1 was the first person I saw when I arrived, I had a tote tray with my personal stuff in it, including Nookcolor.  Ahmed sifted through my tote tray thinking it was funny I brought the tray, (the idea was if I had to move around with a nails, screws, or small tools I could easily toss them in the tote tray and be ready, (my personal gear stowed in the house).  Ahmed asked me about the NC and I showed it to him, he thought it was cool, and that was that.  NO camera rolling at that point.

You could say our Nookcolor is special as its been in the hands of a Reality TV star.

Frequent Contributor
Mela08
0 Kudos

That's really cool.  I watch HGTV every day.  I'd love to catch it when it airs.

Inspired Contributor
Deadpoe
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Yocalif'

I'm watching Yard Crashers right now(1AM Eastern time) and it looks like this must be the one with your son and daughter-in-law.

Correspondent
susgod
0 Kudos

I checked the TV listings, but I don't get the show. :smileysad: I did find information about the episode Modern Asian Living on the diynetwork's website.

It describes "First, a natural stone path that uses 2-by-2 square Blue Tudor stepping stones set in gravel leads to a new dining area and lounge space. Then, a 10-by-10 redwood deck is erected just 6 inches above-ground and covered with a bi-level metal roof that's supported by large redwood rafters. The deck will then extend uncovered toward the back corner of the yard. A built-in bench seating area will surround a square sand-filled fire pit that sits flush within the deck. And from both of these spaces, this couple can enjoy the tranquil sound of water trickling down a 6-inch-high metal water wall."

It sounds fabulous. I am sure your son and family will enjoy this wonderful outdoor living area.

Inspired Contributor
Deadpoe
0 Kudos

That is the episode.  Though there is a mistake in the description, they meant to say a six-foot high metal water wall.  It certainly wasn't six inches.

Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif
0 Kudos

Yes the episode aired last night,

If you don't have the DIY network (or are out of country), our
episode, Yard Crashers #611, "Modern Asian Living" will be posted
online about a week later at:
http://www.diynetwork.com/diy-yard-crashers-episode/videos/index.html
Click on season 6.

For a description of the yard, you can read the DIY network's preview
here, or don't if you want to be surprised:
http://www.diynetwork.com/yard-crashers/modern-asian-living/index.html

While many of our family appeared in the episode I didn't.  The one possible scene where I thought I would appear is where the main contractor Doug is explaining about the paver stone being used as the counter top for the BBQ,  I was told to ask Doug a question and then respond to what he said, sadly they only show Doug.  

For those that watched or will you get a good feeling for my son Phil and his wife Jen, they make a great couple.  We had a party last night at Phil & Jens new backyard with some family and some of the work crew (Doug lead contractor, Jake the concrete guy, Terrance the metal/welder, Donna the landscaper designer girl).  Doug said they have been back to most of the yards they have done (he has been involved in 29 episodes (Yard Crasher & Turf Wars), and more than half of the yards look like crap (the reason the original yards looked like crap was the owners didn't take care of them and while they have a new yard they still don't take care of the new yard).  Doug complimented Phil & Jen their yard looks fantastic one of the best he has scene, and really liked the improvements that Phil & Jen have done since.

The breaking concrete problem was funny during the episode, but not so funny when it actually happened, they were running out of time.  There was a big pow-wow about how to solve the problem, as you saw Terrance was the solution with the metal structure.  Personally I don't like it, I don't think it fits the yard design which is all red wood and stone, with the exception of the metal waterfall.

The final shots of the yard look like they were taken during the day, actually they were all shot in the dark.  The camera crew used huge lighting equipment to light up the space, the sky you see behind the fence in the final shot is purely photo editing.  The lighting made the wood look rich and darker than it was, in reality the wood was still rough (no sanding, no coating).  Phil & Jen has sanded and coated all the wood including the fence.

Phil & Jen were really blessed to get such a wonderful gift in their first year of marriage for their home.