Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader
K_Cozart

Only Request: Overhauled Gallery App

I really do love my NookColor, but I despise the gallery app. I'm an avid photographer and like to use the NC as a digital picture frame, but hate the current format. If BN and Android plan to redo anything, it needs to be the gallery app. 

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

Re: Only Request: Overhauled Gallery App

Agreed.  Their Gallery app is teh suckage.

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Inspired Contributor
David_Dearman
0 Kudos

We need some way to tag and group photos; as it is it takes too long to scroll through the entire collection to find a particular image to share.
Frequent Contributor
netscorer
0 Kudos

Don't blaim Android - there are tons of great photo apps available if you care to root.
Reader
Hm2Cats
0 Kudos

Agreed the Galley needs an overhaul. I would like to just go to my folders, pull up the folder that contains the pictures I want to view and then click on gallery so I can view just that set of pics. Right now I have multiple folders with subfolders and when I go to gallery its like it randomly picks what folders I want to view.

Did find something cool though. I have a couple of old MS Powerpoint files that were basically set up as photo scrapbooks. They are easy to view on my NC and it was fun to view them as I'd forgotten all about them. One was of my son's baptism. Way cool!

Distinguished Correspondent
Wild_images
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

If you are rooted, you can use Gallery Pro.  It will allow you to put your photos in separate folders, displays each folder on the main Gallery Pro screen, shows thumbnails and has a slide show function.    My only nit with it is that it does not seem to have a continuous play feature.  I like to use my NC as a digital photo frame, but once you run though the photos in a folder, it just stops on the last one and you have to manually start it over again.   It probably has this feature somewhere, but I have yet to find it.

Edited to add, your photos must be on a micro SD card.  It wont pull them from the main device memory.

Wordsmith
DrWho453
0 Kudos

I am using quickpic. I can tell it what folders to use to find pics and videos. I can also hide and show folders using the hide option in the menu. I can also have them listed by date or name. The slideshow will loop until i stop it. I just wish i could check the photos that i want in the slideshow to display. If i don't want a photo to show, i have to put a check mark on it and have it moved to another folder but it is better than the gallery program on the nc.
"It is one of the ironies of modern rule that it is far more acceptable today to affirm publicly one's belief in God, for whose existence there is no scientific evidence, than UFOs, the existence of which - whatever they might be - is physically documented." - Alexander Wendt and Raymond Duvall
Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

Thats the deal breaker for me and rooting,

What worries me is, other than here, I have not seen a lot of attn being paid to the SUCK that is the stock gallery app.

Hope B&N doesnt miss the boat.

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

Hm2Cats wrote:

Agreed the Galley needs an overhaul. I would like to just go to my folders, pull up the folder that contains the pictures I want to view and then click on gallery so I can view just that set of pics. Right now I have multiple folders with subfolders and when I go to gallery its like it randomly picks what folders I want to view.

Did find something cool though. I have a couple of old MS Powerpoint files that were basically set up as photo scrapbooks. They are easy to view on my NC and it was fun to view them as I'd forgotten all about them. One was of my son's baptism. Way cool!

Cool. A possible work around  :smileyhappy:

Were where you 5 months ago?  :smileymad:

And how did the rest of us miss this one?? :smileysurprised:

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I had a powerpoint presentation with lots of photos that I had moved onto the nook about a month ago. I don't know if it was because the picture file size was so large, but the slide show was really sluggish (some slides with more than 1 graphic took almost 5 seconds to load), and some of the pictures still did not come up.Sometimes the pictures were also out of position, covering up text.

However,it might work quite well if the photos are compressed.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Frequent Contributor
ssakuras
0 Kudos

Yea the Nooks gallery sucks. :/ I also have my files in seperate folders within subfolders and it chooses randomly which photo's I can view and it puts them in random orders too. 

Though that isn't even the most annoying part for me. Sometimes when I go to change my Nook's wallpaper and it sends me to the photo gallery to choose which one to switch too it'll load maybe 1/5 of the thumbnails and the rest will be grayed out. If you try clicking on one of the gray thumbnails the picture itself won't even load. When this happens I have to do a complete reboot of my Nook by turning it off and then back on. I feel that I shouldn't have to do this as often as I need to. T_T It also randomly does it to me with the video files I load onto my Nook, but not often. Usually I just need to restart my Nook the one time after initially loading the files onto the Nook so it recognizes oh hey there's new stuff on here! and it's good to go.

Inspired Contributor
CaptainGuy
0 Kudos

Another approach to slide shows...

use any slide show app, picasa, JALBUM, etc.  then copy to a folder.

then go to the my files, and click on the index.html file for that folder... the slide show will begin.

7 & 2 and still playing with the new.
Inspired Correspondent
j-andersonjma
0 Kudos

OK, I have spent several hours trying to down load an Android app to the Nook Color.  How did you get Quickpic installed on the NC?

Wordsmith
robert93
0 Kudos

I havent looked, but, unless you are 'rooted', then its gotta come from the Nook-app store, or it wont install