Reader 4
Joshua_Barrett

Outage compansation

Now that the NC is apparently up and running, I think something should be afforded the customers for inconvenience. I would appreciate an eCard for a book credit, or at the very least, get rid of that #%@&! cookbook!!!!

Contributor
sergestorms

Re: Outage compansation

Have a cookie.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

BN needs to make a backup utility available in the app store for free. 

Full stop. 

They do need to be able to verify that nooks are nooks and that content is licensed.  However, a hiccup in that process should not hammer devices this badly. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Contributor
powerman

[ Edited ]

It seems everyone wants compensation for every little inconvenience these days.  @#&^ happens, deal with it!

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

Oh, come on.  One poster just wants to be rid of the Cookbook That Will Not Die.  I think this highlights a weakness in BN software -- the shelves are a chore, a lot of folks have a lot of shelves, and they are not backed up.  A full s/w wipe on a device being marketed as a tablet, with no provision for backup and restore? 

Given that the device is now known to be susceptible on a broad scale to being wiped, that highlights a missing and vital function that the tablet needs to have bundled with.  Especially a computer being marketed to folks who are primarily bookfolk, not computer folk. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Frequent Contributor
dkwdba
0 Kudos

How about a backup for my wishlist?  And a backup for my shelf strucutre?  I don't mind if I have to do it - just give me some way to avoid the pain I have now of trying to remember my wishlist books - which I recorded on the nook, and rebuilding my shelves.

Correspondent
KJRad

roustabout wrote:

BN needs to make a backup utility available in the app store for free. 

Full stop. 

They do need to be able to verify that nooks are nooks and that content is licensed.  However, a hiccup in that process should not hammer devices this badly. 

ITA!!!!  I still haven't got my favorites done for the browser but spent most of the time reinstalling books and apps. My special wallpapers are gone and I hope I can remember the sites where I downloaded them. Photos need to be reinstalled not to mention all of the custom settings etc.

At the very least they need to supply that backup utility app free of charge so we never have to experience this again.

Now I'm going to bed..........it's been a long day!

Inspired Wordsmith
beeyebickiebuy

powerman wrote:

It seems everyone wants compensation for every little inconvenience these days.  @#&^ happens, deal with it!

+1

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff

Hey!  I want a "compansation," too!   Where can I download one of those?

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Scribe
dfehling
0 Kudos

powerman wrote:

Sounds like you were one of the lucky ones who didn't get everything lost! Those seem to be the people telling everyone else to "get over it".

A backup program is a must! That's not a compensation for the inconvenience but a preventative measure for the future for everyone - including you!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Attributed to Groucho Marx
Frequent Contributor
krighton
0 Kudos

similar to Grisley Mansion's spelling of 'Mising' in the opening newspaper talking about grandpa

Contributor
thirdegg

I would be happy with an announcement of "hey we screwed up and are very sorry".

Wordsmith
irunlikeagirl
0 Kudos

Powerman, you just got laureled! :smileyhappy:
Inspired Scribe
riffrafff

dfehling wrote:

powerman wrote:

Sounds like you were one of the lucky ones who didn't get everything lost! Those seem to be the people telling everyone else to "get over it".

A backup program is a must! That's not a compensation for the inconvenience but a preventative measure for the future for everyone - including you!

My back-up program:

cp *.epub /d2/ebooks   :smileywink:

But Calibre will also serve as a back-up program.

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Correspondent
ShellyStark
0 Kudos

Luckily I was one that didn't get wiped. In fact I had no clue about it even happening to some of you until late last night and I was using my NC on an off through the day for a crochet pattern. But I do think those of you who lost everything should get something. I went through the same thing with Tmobile when my phone had the OTA update to froyo. Killed my phone, turned it into a 400$ paper weight. Lost all my pics, apps, a lot of personal stuff and they were quick to send me a replacement. B&N should offer a credit of sorts to you guys, it would only be fair after the fustration loosing and having to reload your NC.

"He needs you, and that's very me.
-Ten"
Inspired Scribe
riffrafff

thirdegg wrote:

I would be happy with an announcement of "hey we screwed up and are very sorry".

They did.  Sorta.    From their FB page:

"Thank you for posting your comments and technical issues here, your comments were helpful as our team identified and resolved the issue that a small number of you encountered. You can now re-register your NOOK Colors and reload your previously purchased content onto your devices. We apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused and welcome more feedback as you begin the re-registration process."

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Scribe
dfehling
0 Kudos

We need a backup program for those of us who don't want to root our NC. It seems most of the nooks that were rooted weren't affected by this reset anyway.

I am an internet developer and quite tech savvy, but like many, I just don't want to root my nook. I like it the way it is - as a great ereader with a few cool apps. I just want a simple way to make sure I don't get everything wiped out again like yesterday. Shouldn't be too much to ask for, right?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Attributed to Groucho Marx
Distinguished Wordsmith
MaluhiaKana

Joshua_Barrett wrote:

Now that the NC is apparently up and running, I think something should be afforded the customers for inconvenience. I would appreciate an eCard for a book credit, or at the very least, get rid of that #%@&! cookbook!!!!

Why should, other than out of the goodness of their heart, Barnes & Noble offer compensation for this event. Even the warranty states on page 124 that internet and telecommunication failures are not covered. Perhaps it would be a nice PR move, but legally they don’t owe you a thing.

My ISP doesn’t credit my account when the service is down. The only company I can think of that does something like this is Netflix, such as when their streaming has outages.

I strongly agree with the need for a backup app. And yes, get rid of the cookbook from hell! How much did Good Housekeeping pay you to stick that in there?!

Contributor
BillCo
0 Kudos

Yes, i want compensation:  Here is my list

Free healh care for life

Free ebooks

Free food when i come into B&N

Free Nooks Colors for life.

:smileyvery-happy:

Inspired Contributor
hereticalee
0 Kudos

Well, my suggestion if you really really want a... what $5 dollar goftcard is to go into B&N and hang out talking to the rep at the Nook display about "how terrible it was or ask them to fix it." If you are whiny enough the manager might come by and give you a GC to shut you up. Probably a courtesy credit of like $5 or so.... Best of luck with that.