Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
dfehling
0 Kudos

Re: Outage compansation

MaluhiaKana wrote:

My ISP doesn’t credit my account when the service is down. The only company I can think of that does something like this is Netflix, such as when their streaming has outages.

My ISP does give me a credit when service is down - all I have to do is ask when I call to report the outage.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Attributed to Groucho Marx
Contributor
AGWoodard

If you can't spell it, you don't deserve it.  

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff

roustabout wrote:

BN needs to make a backup utility available in the app store for free. 

Full stop. 

They do need to be able to verify that nooks are nooks and that content is licensed.  However, a hiccup in that process should not hammer devices this badly. 

Why?

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Inspired Wordsmith
donc13

Joshua_Barrett wrote:

Now that the NC is apparently up and running, I think something should be afforded the customers for inconvenience. I would appreciate an eCard for a book credit, or at the very least, get rid of that #%@&! cookbook!!!!

That's absurd.     What did you lose that you need compensation for?

Grow up.

---------
Don
Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

roustabout wrote:

BN needs to make a backup utility available in the app store for free. 

Full stop. 

They do need to be able to verify that nooks are nooks and that content is licensed.  However, a hiccup in that process should not hammer devices this badly. 

They can verify that nooks are nooks and that content is licensed.   No one has yet stated what caused the issue.    It could have been a corrupt file,   It could have been a hacker, it could have been just about anything.   

My point being....without knowing what caused the issue, it's impossible to know how avoidable it was or wasn't.

---------
Don
Correspondent
Dr_Mabooza
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Outrage compensation is more like it.  There are still people out here who have not gotten things back to the way they were b4 1.2.0. Thanks to that "wonderful" update, my NookColor has turned into a spazzy unpredictable piece of crap that shuts itself off whenever it wants to and now has severe battery drainage problems. These problems need to be resolved. I bought it late last December and had to return it 2 times before I got one that actually could have its USB cord inserted to charge the thing and didn't have its construction materials literally fading away to a worn white color. Now I am considering returning my NC and just calling the $ spent on books as a loss, because I doubt BandN would reimburse me. 

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

dkwdba wrote:

How about a backup for my wishlist?  And a backup for my shelf strucutre?  I don't mind if I have to do it - just give me some way to avoid the pain I have now of trying to remember my wishlist books - which I recorded on the nook, and rebuilding my shelves.

It seems to me, the app store had a backup app available.    I'm not positive, but seem to recall seeing one in there.

---------
Don
Frequent Contributor
cindylee60

I just hope that all of you, once you calm down, will now back up your stuff!!!

You do it with your computer, right? You should do it with any device.

System crashes (and other disasters that could lose you all your data) are never fun, but they are a fact of life today. It's everyone's responsibilty to back up their data.

Frequent Contributor
ProhibitionRose
0 Kudos

Cant back up until you have the update, from what I understand. Is this correct? 

If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a hoper, a prayer, a magic-bean-buyer. If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire, for we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in! ~ Shel Silverstein
Distinguished Correspondent
TNTLamb
0 Kudos

I hesitate to mention that it is very easy to back up your NC.... It is nothing more than an exterior drive, There are a bajillion programs available for your PC to do just that. No to mention dozens of exterior storage sites. Just plug your NC into your PC and choose the files you want backed up. its that simple............. For evermore every time you plug it in it backs up. You can do selective r mirrored backup or simply sync your folders.

There are 293 ways to make changes for a dollar.... No wonder we see things differently
Bibliophile
Jenniisme

I keep reading people *lost* stuff.

What did you actually lose? Your books are backed up on BN and they should be backed up on your home.

Same goes for sideloaded books, they are usually backed up into your library wherever you purchased from.

ADE keeps all my sideloaded books for me.

So I am really not sure what the whining, ranting & raving is about.

Poop happens as others have said.

Frequent Contributor
ProhibitionRose
0 Kudos

Good point Jenni, I have everything back on mine from B&N, as well as everything i side loaded is on my laptop to start.  The only thing that was irritating was setting it all back the way I wanted my own personalized.

I think people are referring to notes and contacts they added in.  I am not sure, because I hadnt gotten that far into using my NC, other then to read and store pics on.  :womanvery-happy:

If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a hoper, a prayer, a magic-bean-buyer. If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire, for we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in! ~ Shel Silverstein
Distinguished Correspondent
TNTLamb
0 Kudos

ProhibitionRose wrote:

I think people are referring to notes and contacts they added in.  I am not sure, because I hadnt gotten that far into using my NC, other then to read and store pics on.  :womanvery-happy:

This is one of the reasons you sync those apps............. All I had to do was resync and everything was cool.............

There are 293 ways to make changes for a dollar.... No wonder we see things differently
Inspired Contributor
TheBeerSoapCompany

I don't think we need compensation. I am just happy to have my Nook Color up and working again. Companies make mistakes, and they fix those mistake. BN messed up, its fixed. Keep calm and carry on.

Correspondent
Prewittboy
0 Kudos

riffrafff wrote:

Hey!  I want a "compansation," too!   Where can I download one of those?

Roflmao @ riffrafff

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13

Dr_Mabooza wrote:

Outrage compensation is more like it.  There are still people out here who have not gotten things back to the way they were b4 1.2.0. Thanks to that "wonderful" update, my NookColor has turned into a spazzy unpredictable piece of crap that shuts itself off whenever it wants to and now has severe battery drainage problems. These problems need to be resolved. I bought it late last December and had to return it 2 times before I got one that actually could have its USB cord inserted to charge the thing and didn't have its construction materials literally fading away to a worn white color. Now I am considering returning my NC and just calling the $ spent on books as a loss, because I doubt BandN would reimburse me. 

And tell me this....how can you possibly blame the 1.2 upgrade for the problem?    From the people here...it obviously affected people who had not yet upgraded and people who had upgraded.

The common element seems to have been they were connected at the time it occurred.   And the NC does 'check in' on regular intervals when it's connected.    And somehow during that checkin...something went wrong that caused the NC to reset.  I seriously doubt it had anything to do specifically with the 1.2 update.  

It could be as simple as test code accidentally being put on production, or a hacker, or a file that became corrupt or any one of lots of other things that could have happened.

And unless you have exact knowledge of what caused the issue, I believe the wild speculation and anger I see here is totally out of line.

---------
Don
Inspired Contributor
TheBeerSoapCompany
0 Kudos

My ISP also gives me credit when services are down. My entire business is handled online and just being down for a few hours affects my sales.

Contributor
sezwik

Maybe the executives at B&N were watching the forums and decided to roll out the update before it was fully tested.  You know, since so many people were going to start having strokes if they didn't get it.  Yes. I'm kidding.  I have a dry sense of humor.

Losing data is like teen pregnancy.  Birth control is no secret and neither is backing up your data.  We all know it's important yet most fail to do it in any form at all.

Next time, simply copy all of the folders (and their contents) to your computer in a folder named NOOK.  I think everyone (even the most computer illiterate) will be able to do that until a proper backup program is offered.

Contributor
ToyCollector
0 Kudos

I normally backup my SD card to my PC. However, that is all data, except for ezPDFReader. That makes it easy to restore if the SD card dies or the data is lost. I'm not sure if ezPDFReader will work if I just copy it back to the SD card. Does anyone know if just copying all the files back will work?

The other thing is the NOOKcolor main memory. I can copy all those files to my PC, but if I were to have a factory reset, would just restoring all those files allow the NOOK to function or do some folders or apps have to be be reinstalled from the market? I'm talking about folders like .albumthumbs or .android_secure.

Reader 4
Ace_Of_Hearts

dfehling wrote:

powerman wrote:

It seems everyone wants compensation for every little inconvenience these days.  @#&^ happens, deal with it!

Sounds like you were one of the lucky ones who didn't get everything lost! Those seem to be the people telling everyone else to "get over it".

A backup program is a must! That's not a compensation for the inconvenience but a preventative measure for the future for everyone - including you!

No its the ME ME ME ME, LAZY ASS, SOMETHING FOR NOTHING GENERATION, that's the problem. 

Quit your crying. Shit happens.  

< Yes, my NC reset, and had to reload / organize.