Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

Re: Outage compansation

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Frequent Contributor
William-Wilson

The problem that happened was a terrible calamity that has completely ruined my life.  I don't think that a simple $5 coupon or gift code is sufficient.  I really should get all of my books from now on free of charge.  Also, I want my own personal tech assigned to me and available 24 hours a day in case anything else happens.

Come to think of it, the State of Texas needs to compensate me for a new tire.  I ran over a nail last week and had to replace the tire.  They should not have allowed that nail to be on the road.

And Shell should give me some free gasoline...at least for two years.  Yesterday we had some sever thunderstorms.  As I was pumping gas some rain was blown in under the overhang and stained my suede shoes.

COME ON PEOPLE!!!!  Is it frustrating, yes.  Is it a pain, yes.  Do you deserve anything? NO!  Stuff happens.  Life is not fair.  You have to take the punches and keep moving on in life.  B&N and nobody else OWES you anything.  The only thing in this life you can count on is taxes and death.

I think B&N did a great job of getting the issue fixed...whatever it was.  I wish it never happened personally, but it did.  I purchased two books for my Nook just has it happened. I had to wait for hours before I could read them.  That's life.

Happiness is a choice.
Contributor
sezwik
0 Kudos

ToyCollector wrote:
...but if I were to have a factory reset, would just restoring all those files allow the NOOK to function or do some folders or apps have to be be reinstalled from the market?

I'm not sure if that method would allow you to restore system files after a reset since a system backup and a simple data backup are two different things.  Apps could be downloaded again since there is a record of what you have on the B&N website.  The books, PDFs, music, video, wallpaper, pics, et cetera would probably be the most time consuming (for most) to replace so keeping those folders backed up is always a good idea. 

For example, I have a complete system backup for my computer on DVDs but all of my personal data (files, music, pics...) are backed up seperately.  If there is a crash, my OS can be reinstalled with individual programs and data in addition to that, if necessary. 

roustabout
0 Kudos

Toycollector:  there is a way - without rooting - to make a complete system and data backup

of the internal stuff on your nook.

If you go to the monster root pack how - to, one of the first things they tell you to do is to download a disk image for "clockwork recovery" and burn it to an SD card.  (Be aware that that SD card will be reformatted during the process -- don't use one you have data on already!) 

Power off your nook, insert that card, power on - and you boot into the CWR environment.  From there you can apply zip files, but you can also go to the backup and restore menu and make a backup. 

This is free and a Good Idea.  It does require some level of skill to accomplish (mostly in terms of getting the disk imaging software set up to write the CWR image to a micro SD card.) 

BN needs to put Titanium or some  other local backup utility into the shop for free.

The folks who don't think so aren't thinking about the users with hundreds of ebooks organized into shelves.  From everything I'm hearing, the shelves were lost.  Also any emails on the device, and contact lists on the device. 

This is not in compensation for a few hours of being offline, it's in compensation for mistakenly destroying customer data. 

Destroying customer data  is pretty much the gravest IT screwup there is.  Good systems are designed to make it hard.  Yesterday, we saw that BNs current system makes it easy. 

Here is the link to the forum post pointing to CWR images: 

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=922870  (the full instructions, including links to the images for Clockwork Recovery, look for "bootable Clockwork SD card (128mb, 1gb, 2gb, 4gb, 8gb)"

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Contributor
Ross_H

It's always a good idea to back files up, and we all tend to forget until it's too late.

But I think the issue here is that some external event on B&N servers caused this problem to so many people's Nook's. It's one thing to lose your own data, it's another for it to be lost for you via remote control.

But I think asking for compensation is a little too much. Glitches happen, and I'm sure they were under a lot of pressure to release the 1.2 update.

Me, I'll be happy if they fix whatever went wrong and make sure something like this doesn't happens again.

Contributor
ToyCollector
0 Kudos

sezwik wrote:

ToyCollector wrote:
...but if I were to have a factory reset, would just restoring all those files allow the NOOK to function or do some folders or apps have to be be reinstalled from the market?

I'm not sure if that method would allow you to restore system files after a reset since a system backup and a simple data backup are two different things.  Apps could be downloaded again since there is a record of what you have on the B&N website.  The books, PDFs, music, video, wallpaper, pics, et cetera would probably be the most time consuming (for most) to replace so keeping those folders backed up is always a good idea. 

For example, I have a complete system backup for my computer on DVDs but all of my personal data (files, music, pics...) are backed up seperately.  If there is a crash, my OS can be reinstalled with individual programs and data in addition to that, if necessary. 

I do the same for my computers. Operating system and programs are on the C: drive and data is on the E: drive. I use Acronis True Image to make an image of my C: drive on my XP computers and use Windows 7 backup to make an image on my Win 7 computer. Then I copy my data from the E: drive to an external drive and keep it up to date. This is the same as backing up my Nook SD card to my computer. The problem is backing up the Nook main memory. There is no backup program available that will allow to make an image in case of a problem, so the only solution is to simply copy the entire main memory to my PC and hope that I can simply copy it back in case I need to restore everything. I know that I can copy the books and other files, but what about all the settings (bookshelves, etc.).

roustabout
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Clockwork Recovery is an image backup and restore tool.

It makes an image of /boot, /data and /system.

It restores them that way -- either all 3 or one at a time. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Contributor
ToyCollector
0 Kudos

roustabout wrote:

Clockwork Recovery is an image backup and restore tool.

It makes an image of /boot, /data and /system.

It restores them that way -- either all 3 or one at a time. 

Thanks. I was writing my response to sezwik when you posted your detailed previous post. I'll take a look.

roustabout

They do need to be able to verify that nooks are nooks and that content is licensed.

riffraff asks why. 

Um.  Because they're selling copyrighted material and putting that material into a digital form meant they signed a shedload of contract language saying that they would in fact be sure that the content they sell is properly licensed? 

Because their customer rewards program for nooks and nook colors is driven by the free reading and free books going to Nook owners, not to anyone who walks into the store with a 'Droid phone? 

Inspired Correspondent
cfbush2000
0 Kudos

roustabout & powerman  +1 each.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238

Every time I see this thread title I initially read, "Outrage Compensation."

I can't imagine why I would think that...

Frequent Contributor
Moonchild54
0 Kudos

Nallia Didn't you get the memo about how we here complain too much. How we should be good little sheep,baa,baa,baa.

Frequent Contributor
cindylee60

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
0 Kudos

Moonchild54 wrote:

Nallia Didn't you get the memo about how we here complain too much. How we should be good little sheep,baa,baa,baa.

You know what's funny?  The only people I ever see here actually calling anyone sheep are the complainers.

Contributor
karin_brenig
0 Kudos

Barnes&Noble may have fixed it, but they did not do a good job of communicating with their customers,

A quick post on the support web site with we are aware of the problem and will have it fixed soon would have been nice.

Unless I missed it.

Distinguished Correspondent
feltbettor
0 Kudos

karin_brenig wrote:

Barnes&Noble may have fixed it, but they did not do a good job of communicating with their customers,

A quick post on the support web site with we are aware of the problem and will have it fixed soon would have been nice.

Unless I missed it.

Again another issue I had to read about from the forum instead of one simple email or press release.

No more frustration without representation! We need communication!

"Now remember, what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas... Except herpes, that s*** will come back with you." - Sid Garner
Reader 4
Joshua_Barrett
0 Kudos

Outage COMPENSATION...(I know, it was late -- and I misspelled a word, thanks for noticing)

Wow, make one irate comment as I'm recustomizing my NC and a thread really takes off...:smileywink:

Of course, I didn't actually expect anything from B&N; but I was serious about the #@^%! cookbook -- I don't need "samples" that I didn't ask for taking up space...