Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
ddiego

OverDrive! Why did the update not include this app?

I'm just curious.  Why didn't the update include the OverDrive app for the NC?  According to B&N, they only wanted apps which are reading related or something like this.  Well?  OverDrive would allow all Nook users to download library books straight to their Nooks without having to first download them to their computers and then to their Nooks.

And don't tell me that it's a problem with publishers because if that were so then the app would not be available for iPhones, iPods, iPads, and Androids (both phones and tablets).  In fact, I read one rooted NC users praise how great the OverDrive app was to use on his rooted Nook.  That was pre-update.

It just seems odd that a book company, which tells us they only want apps which will enhance the reading experience, don't have the 1 app which would allow their customers to enjoy more great books.  But, we can be thankful!  We do have:  Animal Show, Pocket Ants, Astrology Zone Premier, and the Oprah Mobile apps!  These have all made my reading experience so very much enjoyable. 

I just wish these people understood what a great product they have and what great customers they have.  They just don't seem to be listening.

Distinguished Wordsmith
rbentley101

Re: OverDrive! Why did the update not include this app?

I think B&N is happy to advertise that you can read library books on your Nook.  It is a reason to get a Nook over a Kindle.  It is a big sales point in Nook's favor.  But B&N probably doesnt want to make it too easy.  They don't make any money on library books and reportly make very little on the Nook itself.  They only make the big bucks when we buy eBooks from them.

I am not complaining or attacking B&N.  It is not diffiuclt to get library books on your Nookcolor now and it is silly easy if you have rooted. It is a great device.

I like to focus on what we do have and not what we dont have yet,  I can set my DVR with my Nook using the Xfinity app.  They still havent figured a way to control my toaster though.

Distinguished Wordsmith
NookonErik

Because you don't need it to put library books on your NC?

Nook Color Wallpapers
Inspired Wordsmith
TigerShawk
0 Kudos

Laurel!  My theory is that the developer of the Overdrive app was either not motivated, or more likely, not allowed into the developer program.  It might come later, but things were pretty exclusive before the udpate.

Correspondent
IzzysNook
0 Kudos

I use my public library's Overdrive section to check out audio books and I always download them to the computer so I can convert to a different file size.  I probably wouldn't find an 'Overdrive app' useful at all.

Inspired Contributor
gkaiseil
0 Kudos

OverDrive provides files in the ePub, PDF, oePub, oPDF, and MP3 (with limited functionality) file formats that the Nook Color supports.

Look at OverDrive Device Support for more information.

Correspondent
IzzysNook
0 Kudos

Although my local library has a few audio books in .mp3 format, the better selection is .wma -- a file format not supported by the NC.  I simply remove the DRM and convert to .mp3 after downloading through Overdrive. 

Distinguished Scribe
schatzieWI

I don't know, MAYBE BECAUSE BN IS IN THE BUSINESS OF SELLING BOOKS! :smileywink:
Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif
0 Kudos

ddiego, good suggestion, write it up and send to B&N.  Definitely an app that most would want.

Wordsmith
DrWho453

Yep, I was the one who posted about the overdrive app and was hoping it would be on BN's app store. As of right now, I am still on 1.1.0 autonootered and waiting for the new autonooter to come out or for the manual nooter to be a little more stable before doing the update.

Here is a link to the original overdrive thread.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-General-Discussion/overdrive-app-on-autonooted-nc-i...

I think it should be included because you can't always be near a PC so why not have an app that will let you get the books without a pc?

"It is one of the ironies of modern rule that it is far more acceptable today to affirm publicly one's belief in God, for whose existence there is no scientific evidence, than UFOs, the existence of which - whatever they might be - is physically documented." - Alexander Wendt and Raymond Duvall
Contributor
ddiego
0 Kudos

Yes! Yes! Yes! That is what I'm talking about. I have seriously thought about rooting because of the total inconvenience of issues like this. I still think 141 apps is a joke. I know the Nook is a reader first and a tablet second, but let's get serious, the OverDrive app should have been the 1st app in the store.
Inspired Correspondent
ZOMBully
0 Kudos

Im with an ealier post, That maybe overdrive just hasnt tried to port it. I could blame bn but Ill wait. There are several apps that come to mind that should have been added prior to angry birds but right now i blame the devs.

They are probably watching closely the bn app store and seeing how well other apps do. Overdrive is free and thus maybe low bugdet. I cant be sure, and this is just my opinion but I doubt bn had anything to do with it not being on nc.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Poe
BN_AlexG
Topics: 68
Kudos: 517
0 Kudos

This message has been moved to a more appropriate location. This helps to keep our boards organized.

Inspired Contributor
BeachCatFan
0 Kudos

grannynanny64 wrote:
All right it's now the end of November and the new Nook Tablet is out and the upgrade is coming soon to the Nook Color. OK Barnes and Noble it's about time for the Overdrive App for your Nook users. When I just want to read my library book I can receive it in a few seconds on the Acer Aconia and the iPad tablets i quicker than it takes to turn on my PC. But I love reading on my Nook Color better and beg for the Overdrive app please do that before any more games. If the kindle can do it wirelessly so can you.

Thwre's apretty simple solution to your problem. Just buy a n2a card, pop it into your NC and  you can use the Overdrive app....I do.