Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
cokids
0 Kudos

Overdrive on Nook????

I am trying to set up my Nook to borrow from my local  library. I downloaded Overdrive and side loaded to Nook, but now can't find it on the Nook. Where do I look? This isn't easy! How do I get into the 'guts' of this thing?

Beth

Frequent Contributor
cokids
0 Kudos

Re: Overdrive on Nook????

Ok, I found it, but now it's telling me it's an unsupported format. Do I use Android or what? Sorry for being so dense, but I'm not real tech savy!  This should be easier!

Beth

Correspondent
moogs
0 Kudos

Try the search icon that shows up w/ library/shop/search/web/settings bar.

If it doesn't pop up, type in overdrive and search.

Wordsmith
JinSC
0 Kudos

Beth,

Not clear on exactly what you are doing....from my library, Overdrive is used for audiobooks.  Is this the case for you also?

If so, Overdrive is on my PC, and it downloads the book to a directory that I have created for that purpose and maintains the expiration dates.  It is basically a file manager for audibooks.  I listen from my mp3 player, not my NC, but I think the procedure would be pretty much the same.  To get the book to my player, I open Windows Media Player (the WMP Library has been set to include my audiobook folder), and go to "Sync device" "Set up sync."  Overdrive creates a playlist in Media Player so I just choose that playlist and sync it to my mp3 player.

Alternately, I suppose I could just go to the designated folder for audiobooks and copy the tracks to my NC Music file. 

It is my belief, though I may be wrong, that you need Overdrive on your PC to download the book and then transfer the files  to your NC.  I don't think NC is designed to run Overdrive.

Hope this helps!

Jeremy

Inspired Correspondent
nickels
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

On the original Nook you needed to install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on your PC to sideload the "borrowed" ebooks on the Nook. The software is free.

http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/

Once installed, run the software. Connect the nook and it becomes a visible device inside ADE. You would then drag the overdrive ebook files into ADE's library panel, then from the library drag it into your Nook icon in ADE. Disconnect the Nook and it would be in your Nook's my documents library. The Nook lets you read the book until the date when it expires, after the date a pop-up window says the book cannot be opened.

Give it a try!

Wordsmith
JinSC
0 Kudos

Nickels,

Yes, this is how I get my "books" from the library....books - ADE, audiobooks - Overdrive.

Jeremy

Correspondent
moogs
0 Kudos

overdrive audio can be run direct from the (rooted)nook. You'll have to check compatibility of the audio file with android if that is what you are running

Wordsmith
JinSC
0 Kudos

moogs wrote:

overdrive audio can be run direct from the (rooted)nook. You'll have to check compatibility of the audio file with android if that is what you are running

Good to know...thanks!

Jeremy

Wordsmith
mariel9898
0 Kudos

On a rooted NC you can use Overdrive to borrow e-books.

Correspondent
moogs
0 Kudos

direct or throught the pc to the nook? if direct, how?

Wordsmith
Droiddict
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

moogs wrote:

direct or throught the pc to the nook? if direct, how?

If your Nook Color is rooted or running a custom rom like CM7, you can find the Overdrive app in the Android Market.  Run the app and select "get books" from the menu.  From there, you have to add your library and sign in.  I think somewhere along the line, you also have to log in to an Adobe account so might as well get that in advance.  I'm running overdrive on a couple of PCs, my phone and my Nook Color so I forget all of the steps but once it is set up, you can get both ePub books and MP3 audio books that will play on Android devices.

I still find it easier to search for available books on my PC and check them out online.  Then I just have to download them from my bookshelf to my device.

Overdrive is the only reason that I am going to have to root my Mom's Nook.  I did mine just to try it out but she has been quite happy with the stock OS.  She is almost 90yo and this is her first digital device of any sort.

Wordsmith
mariel9898
0 Kudos

What Droiddict said. You do have to have an ADE account, though you don't have to download the software to use Overdrive.

Contributor
Scarlett85
0 Kudos

Someone said on the original nook you have to install ADE? Is this also the case with Nook Color? I just checked out an e-book on overdrive to try it out and sideloaded it onto my NookColor and it says unsupported file format. Thanks for any help!

Contributor
Scarlett85
0 Kudos

I just figured it out.. Here's a link if anyone else needs help

http://nooktalk.net/news/loading-books-with-adobe-digital-editions-on-your-nook

Distinguished Correspondent
k2nax
0 Kudos

Yet another reason...  How many do we need??

It is better to have loved your nook and lost,
than never to have loved your nook at all.
Reader 4
shopper-c
0 Kudos

If Barnes & Noble is listening:

Having Overdrive work directly on the Nook Color would be wonderful instead of having to use ADE and then sideload the content.

New User
Robynt

Hi Beth,  I spent a few hours figuring this out last night.  I finally downloaded Overdrive to my PC last night.  Then went to my library account and downloaded the Audio Book I had checked out to my PC.  It ended up in a a file under My Documents/ My Media/ MP3.  Then I connected my nook color and via USB port and copied it from the PC file to the Nook Color.     On my Nook  Color it is in the Library under my files then under the Music File.

For EPub books,  you need to download  Adobe Digital Editions to your PC,  then download the book to your PC and transfer it to your Nook Color Files.  I should load into My Files / Digital Editions.

I had tried downloading Overdrive directly to my Nook Color and it didn't work that way.  Not sure why there is not a direct APP for that. 

I havn't tried downloading Adobe Digital Editions to the Nook yet directly will give that a try .  It would be nice to just do it all directly from the Nook rather then having to connect to PC.

Hope this helps,

Robyn

Contributor
Sayhibr
0 Kudos

My library mostly has audiobooks in the WMA format.I tried transferring a book and found that as of now the NC does not have WMA files listed as a supported file type. Most libraries copy protect their audiobooks so you can't convert it to MP3. It would be nice if B&N would add WMA support in the stock OS.  MP3's are fine because they are supported and you don't need overdrive.

Non copy protected audiobooks can be converted to mp3 and transferred.

Reader 4
issyrobin
0 Kudos

I use ADE on my Mac, connect my Nookcolor to it, and then drag them into it.  It's pretty easy.  did you figure it out??

Frequent Contributor
cokids
0 Kudos

I called my local library, but I got a tech novice who couldn't answer my questions. Will GO next week and get it figured out!

It should be explained on the Nook site AND there should be an app for loading books. Why the trouble? What gives?

Had to delete Over Drive cause it was using too much memory on my sd card.....also on my computer drive to free up space.

Beth