Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
feltbettor

Re: PM from Nook_Engineer????

Really people? Your completely missing his point. Yes he swore and he admits that. His point was that B&N has had ZERO PRESENCE in this forum and for their first act they censored an ENTIRE post for language.

Hopefully this is the dam breaking and he is assigned to this forum for more than just potty mouth training. Oh maybe dam is too strong of word, how about, water obstruction? Is that better?   :smileyvery-happy:

"Now remember, what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas... Except herpes, that s*** will come back with you." - Sid Garner
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
0 Kudos

I didn't miss the point.  I got the point.  Don't assume that because I don't agree with it I cannot or do not comprehend it.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

feltbettor wrote:

Hopefully this is the dam breaking and he is assigned to this forum for more than just potty mouth training.

He hasn't been/won't be assigned.  His day job is, well, NOOK_Engineering.  He looks in after pretty much every upgrade or release, takes note of the bugs being reported and goes back to engineering.  :smileywink:

He's the most communicative B&N presence we've had on these forums, but he's not permanent (which he confirmed in a thread on the NOOK boards) and he's not going to tell you anything that he hasn't been explicitly permitted by somebody else to tell you.

He's probably required to delete/modify threads with TOS language violations due to his job.  So he did it.  He's also been moving threads, stickying FAQs and interacting with users in the forums.  So, this was neither his first nor his only action.  :smileywink:

Continue presuming that because someone doesn't agree with you, they must not be bright enough to see what's going on.  The rest of us will smile and nod. 

Correspondent
HamNCheese

[ Edited ]

Nallia wrote:

They aren't owning up to it?  Really?  Since when?  Wow.  When did they deny it?

Yes, it would be nice to get some kind of explanation, but not giving the reasons for the issues yesterday is not nearly the same thing as, "not owning up."

Verb 1. own up - admit or acknowledge a wrongdoing or error; "the writer of the anonymous letter owned up after they identified his handwriting"

fess up, make a clean breast of concede, confess, profess - admit (to a wrongdoing); "She confessed that she had taken the money"

Having customers proactively seek support in order to find out that a major error took place is not exactly being forthcoming.  I don't expect them to send out via an API wire, but it's not exactly a secret - many sites are reporting it, why not just issue some kind of statement right here on the forum?

"Owning up" in this case would be a form of damage control.  Instead, we must all call in, one by one, just to be told the same thing over and over.

This is probably not the best way to find out that your data has been irretrievably lost.

Just sayin.....

Got root?

Like my work? Buy me a beer! :smileyhappy:
Distinguished Scribe
normysmom
0 Kudos

Nook all of you and the Nook you rode in on!  ;0)  Everyone who was a victim of the reset fiasco got seriously nooked! I am mad and I am not going to nook it anymore!  I am nooked on phonics - NCDBP Badge# 123093004

Nothing like a fire, a cat and a good Nook!
Nallia
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

HamNCheese wrote:

Nallia wrote:

They aren't owning up to it?  Really?  Since when?  Wow.  When did they deny it?

Yes, it would be nice to get some kind of explanation, but not giving the reasons for the issues yesterday is not nearly the same thing as, "not owning up."

Verb 1. own up - admit or acknowledge a wrongdoing or error; "the writer of the anonymous letter owned up after they identified his handwriting"

fess up, make a clean breast of concede, confess, profess - admit (to a wrongdoing); "She confessed that she had taken the money"

Having customers proactively seek support in order to find out that a major error took place is not exactly being forthcoming.  I don't expect them to send out via an API wire, but it's not exactly a secret - many sites are reporting it, why not just issue some kind of statement right here on the forum?

"Owning up" in this case would be a form of damage control.  Instead, we must all call in, one by one, just to be told the same thing over and over.

This is probably not the best way to find out that your data has been irretrievably lost.

Just sayin.....

*shrugs*  I didn't need the dictionary definition.  Thanks anyway.

Good of you to also imply that I must be an idiot for not jumping on your bandwagon.

I understand your feelings, I really do.  But you'll just have to accept that some of us have become jaded after dealing with the same thing, over and over, for so long.  It doesn't mean we don't care.  It just means that there's nothing anyone can say to convince me that anything is going to change.

Flooding the board with whining, demands, and the exact same complaints for 10 pages isn't going to do anything but prevent people who need real help from finding it.  It never has before and it won't now.  But I guess the new people here obviously don't care about helping anyone else but themselves.

C'est la vie.

Inspired Contributor
KenW
0 Kudos

I can understand the moderators stand on the F word usage in posts on the board. The use of the word in posting a message does not bother me personally, but I would never use it in one of my own post's. However the irony is not lost on me that on the shelves in the store are novels like "Catcher in the Rye" that use the F word in the storyline, and that the store will gladly sell you a copy. If you pulled all the books off the shelves that offended someone, by subject matter or language,and so on. B&N would have a very empty store I realize that I am comparing a literary classic with a post on the board and they operate under a whole different set of rules but it still is ironic.

Distinguished Wordsmith
MaluhiaKana
0 Kudos

HamNCheese wrote:

Aunt Ethel? Is that you?

Correspondent
HamNCheese
0 Kudos

MaluhiaKana wrote:

HamNCheese wrote:

Aunt Ethel? Is that you?

Actually, that's a screenshot from the video chat I had earlier with B&N support.

Got root?

Correspondent
HamNCheese
0 Kudos

Nallia wrote:

*shrugs*  I didn't need the dictionary definition.  Thanks anyway.

Good of you to also imply that I must be an idiot for not jumping on your bandwagon.

I understand your feelings, I really do.  But you'll just have to accept that some of us have become jaded after dealing with the same thing, over and over, for so long.  It doesn't mean we don't care.  It just means that there's nothing anyone can say to convince me that anything is going to change.

Flooding the board with whining, demands, and the exact same complaints for 10 pages isn't going to do anything but prevent people who need real help from finding it.  It never has before and it won't now.  But I guess the new people here obviously don't care about helping anyone else but themselves.

C'est la vie.

Look, I apologize if I offended you or anyone else.  I'm not here to cause infighting in the community.  Instead, I'm here to shake things up a bit.  I was trying to show that it is not acceptable to turn a blind eye to what's been going on here.

Perhaps I'm naive in thinking it might actually make a difference.  But I'm trying to do everyone here a huge favor here.

I have a pretty good track record on delivering on things I have said I would do.  I have done this selflessly, and for the benefit of others.  If some feathers get ruffled along the way, then so be it.

So again...  I apologize for my terse remarks and over-stating of the obvious.  It is not directed at any member of this forum - it's all pointed right at B&N to help find a solution to a serious customer service problem. 

Got root?

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,976
0 Kudos

HamNCheese wrote:

Look, I apologize if I offended you or anyone else.  I'm not here to cause infighting in the community.  Instead, I'm here to shake things up a bit.  I was trying to show that it is not acceptable to turn a blind eye to what's been going on here.

Perhaps I'm naive in thinking it might actually make a difference.  But I'm trying to do everyone here a huge favor here.

I have a pretty good track record on delivering on things I have said I would do.  I have done this selflessly, and for the benefit of others.  If some feathers get ruffled along the way, then so be it.

So again...  I apologize for my terse remarks and over-stating of the obvious.  It is not directed at any member of this forum - it's all pointed right at B&N to help find a solution to a serious customer service problem. 

I didn't know you were doing it for the children.

I love you, man.

Nallia
0 Kudos

I know you mean well.

I'm just frustrated about the state of this entire forum since early January and the last few days have just pushed that frustration into outright annoyance, bordering on actual anger.  Which is silly and weird at the same time, because I never get truly angry about anything online.  Turns out I've invested more emotional energy into this place than I thought.

Anyway, you were just the easiest target for my ire, I guess (Deemure's signature is very fitting at the moment), and for that, I apologize.

I really do hope they listen for once.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

Well, the account's online and posting answers to tech questions in various threads this afternoon.

Not saying much about the big wipe, aside from "you ought to be able to login now." 

Unfortunately, what some folks want is not just a BN staffer here, but a BN staffer permitted to answer their questions about company FUBAR situations.

The problem is, most companies go into turtle mode after something like this and tell their technical folks "thou shalt not answer any questions, that is for the communications department and the communications department only." 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif
0 Kudos

HamNCheese,  I understand your frustration, and your effort to get support from NC owners to add validity to the cause and hopefully get B&N to monitor the forum from a customer service point of view to relay back to B&N mgmt, what NC customers are either encountering with their NC or suggestions from NC owners.

But Nallia and some of us older types, have been around a few forums and know that instead of customer service rep monitoring we would more likely end up with a heavy handed forum moderator (as you just experienced) hence an effort just blowing wind.

Right after midnight I PM DVDCatalyst and asked him to get in touch with B&N's developers to address the video and other problems.  You might want to PM DVDCatalyst and coordinate your effort.

However, HNC, as for ignoring helping, I sent you a PM two days ago asking for your input because I felt you were the most knowledgeable and could point me in the right direction, and last night replied in your Poll thread noting that I sent you a PM.  YET still no response.  Obviuosly you are not staff here so you have no responsibilty to respond, but even a courtesy reply saying you don't have the time to help, would be nice.

Correspondent
HamNCheese
0 Kudos

hehe sorry about that.  I didn't even realize I had any until a little bit ago.  I sent you a reply, let me know if that helps.

Got root?

Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif
0 Kudos

Thanks so much HNC it helps...

As I said I always appreciate people who know what the hell they are talking about and you really do regarding the rooting stuff and its development..  Hats off you deserve RESPECT.. B&N should be listening to you.

Inspired Correspondent
UndeadPoet

We've got to stop this infighting, man. They won't need to attack us...they will just let us pick each other off, one by one. We are all in this struggle together. Brothers and sisters unite... it is our time to rise up...

(Undead)Poet / Wizard / Teller-of-tales
DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,259
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

HamNCheese wrote:

Nallia wrote:

Gods forbid anyone here is actually expected to abide by the posting guidelines here. 

Conclusion:  B&N cares more about censoring dirty words than they do about owning up to resetting thousands of Nook Colors by mistake.  (oopsie....)

Sorry, but their priorities are out of whack on this one.

Who made the bigger booboo here?

First of all, I thought everyone understood that certain language was not acceptable on family-type forums.

Second, the moderators may be responding to people clicking the "Report Abuse to a Moderator" text at the lower left corner of each message.  I never saw your original message, so I didn't do it in this case, but I certainly have on a number of other messages.

Thirdly, I don't think it's appropriate to attack B&N because they asked you to comply with their guidelines.

It's like one of the first threads I saw here about a month ago, where some aggressive person said "if you say something here, you better be prepared to defend it", in order to justify his attack.  Some people forget that B&N sets the standard for behaviour here, and the bar really isn't that high.

Nooks: 2 HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 (Android 4.0.4) rooted;
    2 Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G3 & G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2 rooted; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

Undead Poet, let's all link arms and sing the Internationale now. 

Workers of the world unite, as Dan Akroyd memorably said during the climax of Grosse Pointe Blank.  :smileyhappy: 

There could be several ways the BN folks got flagged about the thread.  I have to add, posting photos that insult their staff may not the way to be listened to. 

If I knew that there'd been a big database thrash, and that a decision had been made not to try to give tier 1 helpdesk people the details, or to give them some info but to tell them NOT to go into details because it might or might not be communicated (said and heard, both have to happen) clearly to irate callers, and I saw folks capping on my team like that, I wouldn't be cheerfully working to assist.  

The reason we want to root 1.2 is because we actually like quite a bit of the BN reading software, right?  Otherwise, we'd all have torn out the OS and installed Froyo or CM or Phiremod and the Nook app by now? 

Seems like we actually want to work with and make an effort to be collegial with the BN folks who are here.  Even when we disagree with their priorities, we probably want to remember things like, oh, not being aware we had PMs and questions from folks who were asking for help. 

I've gone over the line with folks I need assistance from before, and it turns out to pretty much never be valuable in the long run.  It's a remarkably small world.

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.