Reply
New User
Julsk
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎06-01-2011
0 Kudos

Photo Viewer

I'm not at all happy with the Nook Color photo viewer.  Does anyone have a suggestion on a good photo view app that can be used for the NC?

Distinguished Wordsmith
rbentley101
Posts: 222
Registered: ‎04-04-2011

Re: Photo Viewer

[ Edited ]

Seriously?

 

I know this is you first post here, but did you not even think of Google or a Forum search before this Post?  I am not meaning to be petty and I recognize that the forum search is less that optimal, but let me suggest this is what you would have found with less effort than it took you to make a new post.

 

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Color-General-Discussion/Gallery-App-Recommendation/m-p/...

 

My apologies for being snarky.  It is just that so many people post questions as their first post that are so easily answered and addressed with a simple search.  Please do not allow my abruptness in this post to deter you from asking other questions.

 

Use "search" first, but if you question is not answered, please feel free to ask.  The vast majority of people on here are more than willing to help you use your NC to it's full potential.

 

Welcome to the forum and may you really enjoy your NC.

 

 

 

 

Inspired Correspondent
cfbush2000
Posts: 142
Registered: ‎04-17-2011

Re: Photo Viewer

Here's an erlier thread with a work around for the lack of folder support, if that is something you want.  I've been using it and it is better than the Gallery app.

 

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Color-General-Discussion/Gallery-App-Recommendation/m-p/...

 

New User
Julsk
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎06-01-2011

Re: Photo Viewer

Seriously!  Thanks for making me look stupid.  Guess what.  I'm not.  I've done my homework; I was just looking for nookbook users' opinions.  Now that I know what kind of attitudes reside on this message board I'll be more careful not to insult your intelligence.  Thanks for making my first experience just wonderful.  Get over yourself.

Reader 2
JeepDave
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎05-15-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Photo Viewer

Julsk,

 

In the lower left of rbentleys comment there's a "report to moderator" link. I used it, I suggest you should to. The board is moderated, and I would expect that repeatedly abusive behaviour will eventually reap its own reward.

 

In my experience lurking around this board for a few months, most of the board participants are friendly and helpful and just want to enjoy their toy the way that you do. Chin up. Dont get disheartened by one jerk.

 

:smileytongue:

Inspired Correspondent
cfbush2000
Posts: 142
Registered: ‎04-17-2011

Re: Photo Viewer


rbentley101 wrote:

Seriously?

 

I know this is you first post here, but did you not even think of Google or a Forum search before this Post?  I am not meaning to be petty and I recognize that the forum search is less that optimal, but let me suggest this is what you would have found with less effort than it took you to make a new post.

 

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Color-General-Discussion/Gallery-App-Recommendation/m-p/...

 

My apologies for being snarky.  It is just that so many people post questions as their first post that are so easily answered and addressed with a simple search.  Please do not allow my abruptness in this post to deter you from asking other questions.

 

Use "search" first, but if you question is not answered, please feel free to ask.  The vast majority of people on here are more than willing to help you use your NC to it's full potential.

 

Welcome to the forum and may you really enjoy your NC.

 

 

 

 What a jerk.  I would bet that B&N would do all it can to encourage board use.  One more example of the self appointed "board police" making life better for all of us, whether we want them too or not!  Snarkiness intended.  As the OP suggests, get over yourself.


 

Inspired Wordsmith
chuck4prez
Posts: 722
Registered: ‎04-29-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Photo Viewer

[ Edited ]

JeepDave wrote:

Julsk,

 

In the lower left of rbentleys comment there's a "report to moderator" link. I used it, I suggest you should to. The board is moderated, and I would expect that repeatedly abusive behaviour will eventually reap its own reward.

 

In my experience lurking around this board for a few months, most of the board participants are friendly and helpful and just want to enjoy their toy the way that you do. Chin up. Dont get disheartened by one jerk.

 

:smileytongue:


 

I disagree in this instance. The best way to achieve a better moderated forum is to self moderate. For instance, if i feel that i have been mistreated, i'll call out the person. I will try to clear up any misunderstandings. In the event that i misunderstood or i offended, i will humble myself and appologize. Imo, rbentley's response was just structured backwards, which will bring it's own kind of justice. I'm half tempted to start a thread asking how to create folders in the gallery just to spite him, but i know he's too smart to take the bait. Plus, it's not good to pick on an attourney you have on retainer. So julsk, just keep standing up for yourself, it earned a laurel from me, because that's the best kind of moderation in my opinion.

Edit for clarification: I disagree with using the report button.

New User
HansW
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎06-02-2011

Re: Photo Viewer

Julsk,

 

I have the same  question as you...with 144 topics and searching for "photo viewer" returning 30+ of those, there sure isn't an easy way to find out what's available, let alone what people think about what's available.

I'm sure anyone with the least bit of sense would want to understand the impressions of the other options from those who have gone before them. But maybe I'm just daft.

 

I truly hope those with opinions about the various apps post here, as trying to dig 144 levels deep to find individual experiences for an individual app is pretty daunting with little return on investment, let alone trying to Google for intelligent opinions on the same.  I'll be watching too as I'd love to see what others think from a user experience point of view.

 

I'm sure those we don't have anything meaningful to offer will just glance over, smile and drive on...it woudl be the courteous thing to do.

 

 

Inspired Wordsmith
chuck4prez
Posts: 722
Registered: ‎04-29-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Photo Viewer

In the midst of all the drama, i forgot the topic. I'm a free apps kinda guy, and I go with quickpic. You can slideshow specific folders, which is what I was after. I'm not sure if it supports tags though.
Distinguished Correspondent
Wild_images
Posts: 173
Registered: ‎02-26-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Photo Viewer

To answer the question, there isn't unless you root your NC.   Once you do that, there are a few options in the Android Market Place to try.  Most are just a buck or two, and work better than the stock Gallery App which was created by a third grade science class for underachieving students.  Trust me, the smart kids sure didn't work on the stock gallery app. 

Wordsmith
kingskidjan
Posts: 346
Registered: ‎01-16-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Photo Viewer

 


Wild_images wrote:

To answer the question, there isn't unless you root your NC.   Once you do that, there are a few options in the Android Market Place to try.  Most are just a buck or two, and work better than the stock Gallery App which was created by a third grade science class for underachieving students.  Trust me, the smart kids sure didn't work on the stock gallery app. 


Don't you think this is all too often true of programmers?  They never are the users of the programs that the design and rarely consult with future users on what will be needed.

 

As far as the rbentley issue.  If anyone noticed, his reply was edited.  I'm not sure what the original said, but I like to think that his apology was the edit that was made.  He usually tries to be helpful.  All of us have bad days.  Most of us have only used the report function for someone who we knew was targeting certain people and had multiple personalities and inappropriate content.  Having been on the receiving end of "corrections", I know that it does hurt.  However, this particular issue was discussed within the last few days so I assume that is what got him started.  When doing a search, use the sort by date function.  It usually helps me.

Inspired Correspondent
j-andersonjma
Posts: 346
Registered: ‎08-26-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Photo Viewer

How did you get the app to your Nook Color?

Distinguished Correspondent
TNTLamb
Posts: 291
Registered: ‎03-26-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Photo Viewer

NOT a complete answer, but this app (for stock) is kinda fun:

 

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/My-Wallpaper-Slideshows/5ivedom/e/2940043858696?itm=15

 

It seems they aregoing the right direstion

There are 293 ways to make changes for a dollar.... No wonder we see things differently
GDJ
Inspired Contributor
GDJ
Posts: 128
Registered: ‎06-26-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Photo Viewer

This is one of the major complaints about the NC and certainly my biggest dissapointment.  I don't think it hurts at all to bring this up again and keep the discussion going.  Indeed, it has already netted a reference to a new app.

 

Regarding the Wallpaper Slideshow, reading the description, there is an indication that it has capabilities as a regular photo viewer.  From the instructions:

"4) A convenient Pictures Browser lets you select entire Folders or individual Photos. Click on a photo to select it. Click on a folder to go into it. Click the checkbox on a photo or folder to select that photo or folder for your slideshow. Press OK in Pictures Browser to save your choices and exit. Then go to Slideshow Editor to see the pictures in your slideshow."  To me this reads as instructions to use it as a regular viewer, not merely as wallpaper.  Can anybody verify this?  

Distinguished Correspondent
HumbleCorrespondent
Posts: 201
Registered: ‎05-13-2011

Re: Photo Viewer


GDJ wrote:

This is one of the major complaints about the NC and certainly my biggest dissapointment.  I don't think it hurts at all to bring this up again and keep the discussion going.  Indeed, it has already netted a reference to a new app.

 

Regarding the Wallpaper Slideshow, reading the description, there is an indication that it has capabilities as a regular photo viewer.  From the instructions:

"4) A convenient Pictures Browser lets you select entire Folders or individual Photos. Click on a photo to select it. Click on a folder to go into it. Click the checkbox on a photo or folder to select that photo or folder for your slideshow. Press OK in Pictures Browser to save your choices and exit. Then go to Slideshow Editor to see the pictures in your slideshow."  To me this reads as instructions to use it as a regular viewer, not merely as wallpaper.  Can anybody verify this?  


Since the reviews are sparse, I figured for a buck, I would take the risk and buy this app.  Here is a copy of the review I posted:

 

1) For those hoping that this is an option as a gallery viewer, it is not.  The description says, "Then go to Slideshow Editor to see the pictures in your slideshow." This is only a thumbnail viewer that allows you to deselect photos that you already selected.  You cannot see them as screen-sized.  That said, that is not why I give it two stars.  Even though the description is ambiguous about the Slideshow Editor, it is not billed as an alternative to the gallery, but as a wallpaper slideshow, which is what it is.

 

2) My biggest beef is that the pictures are sized so that the top and bottom of a picture align with the top and bottom of the screen.  The screen does not rotate to landscape when you turn it.  I can see that, since the home screen itself does not functionally rotate.  But, given the method used to size a picture, a landscape picture is too big for the screen, and the sides are cut off.  The pictures should be sized to fit the whole picture on the screen.  Since most people probably take 90% of their pictures in landscape orientation, this really limits what pictures can be used without having to crop them.  True, since the pictures are centered on panel 2, you can slide to panel 1 or panel 3 to see the missing portions of the pictures, but having to do that seriously detracts from the slideshow experience.  Especially since to view the slideshow, I removed all icons from panel 2, and put them on panels 1 and 3 so I can see the pictures on panel 2.  Therefore, when sliding to panel 1 and 3, there is not much to see since those portions of the picture are covered in icons.

 

3) The only choices for displaying control buttons for the slideshow are to have no buttons at all, or to have big, obnoxious buttons that detract from the pictures.  The buttons should be out of sight, and then appear when you give the screen a quick tap.

 

4) The only control buttons are Settings and Pause/Play.  Forward and Back buttons should be added.

 

5) Why not make the pictures rotate between portrait and landscape orientation?  I don't mean move the icons, menu bar, etc., just the pictures being displayed.  If the pictures were sized as indicated in point 2, that is adequate.  But, rotating them is the best option experientially.  At least make it an option in settings.

 

If these changes are made, then this will be an excellent app.  If you have a lot of portrait oriented pictures, or don't mind cropping pictures to be portrait, if that is even possible in the picture you want to use, then this may meet your needs.

That's just my opinion, you can take it for what it's worth, or just leave it alone.
Mark_OB1
Posts: 1,574
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,358
Registered: ‎12-14-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Photo Viewer

HC, thanks for taking the time to write up such a thoughtful review, and for sharing it here.  You saved me (and potentially many others) a lot of time having to investigate for ourselves.

 

- Mark

 

Contributor
BarbaraC1977
Posts: 18
Registered: ‎02-21-2011

Re: Photo Viewer

I know this is late to the thread, but just wanted to mention that I'm finding Dropbox (free for Nook) to be an excellent tool for a photo gallery.  You can set up folders in Dropbox, and then view images by folder.  It works so much better than the built-in Gallery on my Nook Color.