Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
cfbush2000

Photography Thread.

As most of you know, we now have a Community Manager.  Her name is Sam and she reads and sometimes responds to our posts. 

I was thinking that photographers (point & Shoot to high end DSLR) could use this thread to discuss our NC needs.  Sam has already said that she will try to get improvements made to the Gallery.

What other photography related concerns do you have?

Even if the Gallery is improved I would pay for a good image viewing app, one supporting folders/tagging for sorting images.  Anyone have a good viewer they would like to see in the store?

I have no interest in rooting if I can use the NC without doing so.

Lets give Sam the input she needs to make the NC a better photographer's tablet.

Chuck

Contributor
KevinMA
0 Kudos

Re: Photography Thread.

We could do with a Depth of field App :smileyhappy:

And there was Nookcolor :smileyhappy:

...Running Honeycomb from Mirco SD and dual Boot!

Sweet!
Frequent Contributor
newbert
0 Kudos

Can you clarify?  I know what Depth of Field is and I know what an app is. 

But I don't understand what a Depth of Field app is, or what it would do?

Inspired Contributor
gkaiseil

[ Edited ]

DOF or Depth of Field describes the area in front of and behind the focal plane of a recorded image. See DOF Master for more information about the characteristic of recoding images.

There is also a hyperfocal distance that provides the greatest depth of field a camera can record.

All both of these items can be calculated when one knows the size of the recording media, focal length of the lens, the f stop of the lens, and the focused distance. 

DOF master has provided programs, calculators and apps for the Palm OS and Apple iOS handheld devices.

Currently I have the user manuals for my cameras, lenses, strobes, and DOF tables in PDF format loaded on an micro SD card in my NookColor.

Distinguished Wordsmith
NookonErik
0 Kudos

FYI: DOF Master is available for Android and I have it on my rooted 1.1 NC . . .

Photography Tip: In addition to Aperture size and subject distance, the range of DOF is effected greatly by sensor size. The larger the sensor, the more viewable, usable DOF can be utilized creatively. Sorry folks, but that means your Point & Shoot cameras and camera phones will barely produce enough DOF to be useful artistically.

Nook Color Wallpapers
Inspired Contributor
gkaiseil
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I used the term "media' since DOF also applies to film cameras.

Most P&S cameras can not take full advantage of DOF since one can not manually control the f stop and focus distance, but with careful positioning it might be possible to control focused distance.

At one time most lenses for the 35mm film cameras included DOF marks for the various f stops and focal lengths of the lenses. They are even included on the latest Nikor prime lens AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G. The marks are form the Nikon FX  sensor or 35mm film. Nikon is still producing and selling 35mm film cameras for professionals. The closeness of the marks is a result of the AF, AutoFocus, limitations for the distance over which the focus ring turns to achieve reasonably fast focus. The manual focusing lens had a much greater degree of rotation.

Inspired Contributor
jeffkww
0 Kudos

How about an App that would work w/ Flickr?

That way you could have all your photo's in one place,

photos wouldn't take up storage space on the nook

and all the categories and tag would be present.

Inspired Correspondent
cfbush2000
0 Kudos

Jeff,

If your photo's are stored on the web, ie: Flickr, SmugMug, ect, they would only be viewable when you have a wi-fi connection.  I need to be able to access certain photo's in the field, ect.  So, they need to be stored on the NC/sdcard.

Chuck

Inspired Contributor
gkaiseil
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Since it is possible to control a camera from a computer, iPad/iPod/iPhone and some Epson Multimedia storage devices, why not the Nook color?

Quick Office seems to think there is a camera somewhere within the Nook Color.

Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif
0 Kudos

I really had not played with the NC gallery until this weekend.  I was in a hurry to and copied about 30 jpg images to the NC gallery folder.  I did a quick check and they were there.  When I arrived out our dinner party later to show the pics, the order they were displayed on the NC was Last to First, just the opposite of the file name sequence.  There was no way I could do a slide show last to first and no way to make any changes on the sequence, that I could find.

Next I think there should be a display brightness adjustment right there like there is when reading books.  It is a cumbersum to have to go to settings then back to gallery then back to settings to adjust the display brightness until the image appears correctly.

I think that when you click on the Gallery app it should ALWAYS open to the selection menu, and thumbnail images, NOT to the last image viewed, as if it were bookmarked like the page in ebook reading.

Last there should be an exit, so we know the app is really turned off and not burning up cpu cycles and memory space.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

Gkaisell asks:  "Since it is possible to control a camera from a computer, iPad/iPod/iPhone and some Epson Multimedia storage devices, why not the Nook color?"

Are there Android devices that offer this yet?

As of now, I don't think I see anything even in the full market that does this.  And until the app is known to be good and very popular, and/or being developed by one the BN stable of developers, I don't know how soon it's likely to get to the BN approved list. 

Did PanoCamera get open sourced?  If so, you might be able to encourage some of the xda devs to take a run at trying to put something together

http://www.hdrlabs.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1260199675

is an interesting forum thread from about a year ago asking this question. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Inspired Contributor
gkaiseil
0 Kudos

There is a frimware update for the Epson P7000 that allows triggering and downloading of images from  Nikon/Cannon dSLRs through a USB cord.

onOne sofdtware has an app that works through a server program on a computer with a camera control program and allows review of the images on the iPhone/iPod/iPad. It includes still live view, HDR, video recording, and itnervalometer controls.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

OK, but the software you're describing is still on the iPhone/iPod/iPad, not the Android platform. That's a big hurdle here, getting an android dev to build it.

The bigger hurdle is having that dev be one of the precious few that BN is willing to talk to.  A lot of people signed up for the android dev program, only to find that that wasn't how it worked -- BN reached out to the devs who had apps they wanted, rather than asking for submissions. 

I gather that this app would be valuable enough to you to root your device for (as secure, local contact storage was for me.) In which case that second, bigger hurdle can be gotten around. 

Once the app you want is available for Android, you should think about whether it's time to go for it. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Inspired Contributor
Whyy42
0 Kudos

Eye-Fi has the wireless cards. There is also a Eyefi app that will run on android. I tether my Nook Color to my android phone and my Nikon D80 with eyefi card sends the photos to it.

On the Nook color I have an app called PhotoVault. It allows you to password secure individual pictures.

Inspired Contributor
gkaiseil
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Roustabout,

Apps take time to develop and maybe paying some programmers. For OnOne software the Android market has not been big enough for the investment in time and money, but that maybe changing as more Droid based systems become available.  That app is best used in a studio since there is a rather large power demand for the laptop and camera if one will be shooting any time over 30 minutes and the size of the images being produced. Most photographers I deal with use 8gb cards or better and can easily fill the card in a day. It is a function of the size of their sensor and the bit depth of the the color images that they shoot. Also compression or lack of compression becomes a factor.

I am looking at a different type of control device like the TimeMachine or an Audrino based controller.

yocalif:

>Last there should be an exit, so we know the app is really turned off and not burning up cpu cycles and memory space

Exif also exist for the PDF and Epub  formats. How complex this app would need to be would depend if one only want the basic Exif data or the full Exif data including the MakerNote sections. Then there is also the ITPC/XMA data. The MakerNote section of the Exif is controlled by the manufctrurer and includes data for the manufacturer's technical staff. This data can get down to the power level and mode of remote wireless strobe lights.

Inspired Contributor
jeffkww
0 Kudos

cfbush2000 wrote:

Jeff,

If your photo's are stored on the web, ie: Flickr, SmugMug, ect, they would only be viewable when you have a wi-fi connection.  I need to be able to access certain photo's in the field, ect.  So, they need to be stored on the NC/sdcard.

Chuck

ok

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener

yocalif wrote:

I really had not played with the NC gallery until this weekend.  I was in a hurry to and copied about 30 jpg images to the NC gallery folder.  I did a quick check and they were there.  When I arrived out our dinner party later to show the pics, the order they were displayed on the NC was Last to First, just the opposite of the file name sequence.  There was no way I could do a slide show last to first and no way to make any changes on the sequence, that I could find.

Next I think there should be a display brightness adjustment right there like there is when reading books.  It is a cumbersum to have to go to settings then back to gallery then back to settings to adjust the display brightness until the image appears correctly.

yocalif -  You may have figured this out already, but if not, I hope this helps.

I have hundreds of photos stored in folders on my NC.  Find and view as follows:

1) If the sequence is important (my daughters wedding, your home improvement photos, etc), do the following:

* On your computer, in a separate folder, arrange the photos in the order you want. 

* Then go to the oldest photo, make a copy with a new name and continue working your way UP the folder so that the first photo is the most recently created. (Renaming doesn't work, have to make a copy as renaming doesn't change when the file was created)
* Go back and delete the originals (so you don't have duplicates.)

* Copy the new folder onto your NC.

When you go into gallery, you will still have to scroll to find your starting point, but once there you should at least be able to view in sequence.

2) Have lots of photos in folders by category where the sequence isn't important, but the ability to locate quickly is.  For these, I do the following:

* Go to My Library, then

* Go to My Files

* Go to Pictures {Locate folder where you have saved whether on NC or on sd card.}

* My folder and file naming structure allows me to (usually) locate what I am looking for pretty quickly from there.  Tap on jpg file to view.

* If you select the wrong one or want to view something else, do not close the viewer.  Instead, use the BACK SWIPE feature in the status bar (I still having problems finding the "sweet spot" for this, sometimes it works on the first try, sometimes takes a few tries.) This will take you back to your files where you can scroll and quickly select another photo (rather than starting over.) 

While neither of these methods are ideal, they may help you in the interim until we get a photo app or Gallery improvements.

I like your idea about the ability to adjust the brightness from within the viewer.  Agree that going through Settings is way too cumbersome.  Have you tried Quick Settings? (Tap the battery/clock.) You can adjust the brightness (and other things!) from there.

Again, my apologies if you figured this out already.  Or maybe it will help someone else.

Inspired Contributor
CaptainGuy
0 Kudos

Try JALBUM.NET or other album generators (there are dozens).  JALBUM.NET is free.  You can create albums on their site, or download the app to you pc and serve them up or sideload to NC.  Everything is done with html and java, so it all plays through the browser.

Make album, including slide shows, music, transitions, video clips, captions, text on picture, effects, cropping, EXIM Info, etc.  There a dozens of skins to select from.  

Side load to a folder heirarchy of your choosing.  e.g.  

Media/PIX/Vacation 1

Media/PIX/Vacation 2

Media/PIX/Wedding

Media/PIX/Christmas

Then you can forget anout the weak Gallery app.  I've not seen any android gallery app with the features I like.

Further work can create a simple html table of contents.  I have one called PIX.html and it's in the media folder (along with PDF's.html).  You may also place a bookmark for any album or the toc pages in the browser.

7 & 2 and still playing with the new.
Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
0 Kudos

Keeping in mind that B&N is maintaining a position that the NC is an eReader with some tablet functionality (which is frankly how I want to use it anyway), I really want the following:

- Ability to create slideshows of selected pictures or at least restrict the gallery and slideshow to a specific directory (I can arrange my photos into different directories myself)

- If based on directories, allow me to specify whether or not to use subdirectories

- Ability to pull up EXIF information on specific photos and display slideshow of photos with EXIF information shown as desired

Nice to have:

- Ability to tag photos with yellow notes

The first two should be easy to do and would enhance my ability to show various vacation pics or slideshows of interest without having to wade through a ton of garbage.  That's the main reason I keep a bunch of pictures on my NC and I already keep everything sorted into different directories anyway and I use a hierarchical file structure, e.g., VacationX/Day1/Beach/XXXXX01.jpg, so if I want to show someone the entire vacation, I'd like to be able to just use directory VacationX but if I want to focus on Day 1 without the beach stuff, I'd like to be able to use VacationX/Day1 without subdirectories.

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, The Heritage of Shannara, Lonely Planet: Melbourne & Victoria
Inspired Contributor
CaptainGuy
0 Kudos

Another use of JALBUM.NET is multiple albums with a common front page... thus you can have "Vacation 2011" with sub folders for each city etc.  Then you see multiple albums on the first page.

7 & 2 and still playing with the new.