Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
cindylee60
0 Kudos

Re: Pics of Boardwalk coffee

Oh, I didn't mean he was really mean....just kinda mean :smileywink:

Plus I'm not a beach girl. I'm a mountain girl....anyway, phoneboy knows I love him!

Distinguished Correspondent
akaCat
0 Kudos

phoneboy wrote:

LIFE IS GOOD..:smileyhappy:

Sunlight! My mortal enemy! Hisss!

I may be the only one who's delighted to not be there!
Correspondent
crim_crazy622
0 Kudos

Exciting! I'm going on vacation in about 5 weeks to MB!! I'm looking forward to it!! No school or work...just me, my family, my nook color...and my pile of books on sex offenders!!

"I think the fact that we're all gonna' die is a pretty good reason to stop complaining." ~Dave Matthews ~
Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

crim_crazy622 wrote:

Exciting! I'm going on vacation in about 5 weeks to MB!! I'm looking forward to it!! No school or work...just me, my family, my nook color...and my pile of books on sex offenders!!

I can explain...:smileysad:

:smileyvery-happy:

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

Were you sitting at Barefoot Landing?

Correspondent
crim_crazy622
0 Kudos

phoneboy wrote:

crim_crazy622 wrote:

I am working on a research project to finish my master in criminal justice.  I decided to pick the topic everyone wants to skirt tail around.  We have to do something but without research, we'd get no where! I know I'm crazy.

"I think the fact that we're all gonna' die is a pretty good reason to stop complaining." ~Dave Matthews ~
phoneboy

FTR I'm not on any list

What I don't like about the sex offender lists is that peeing on a dumpster in an alley gets you on it.

I'm sure some of you have seen the web sites that show sex offenders in your neighborhood and surrounding areas. Only a couple of these sites list the charges. Some of the ones on the list are  18yr old boy with a 16 yr old girl or public exposure(peeing on a dumpster). Mite not be something you think is right but surely not a reason to be on a sex offender list.

There is def a need for these lists I just get annoyed with the "catch all" method most lists seem to use.

I'd be interested in reading your paper.

JMHO

Correspondent
crim_crazy622

Yes well I am trying to figure it all out myself. I have no doubt in my mind that we need try and understand them and help provide counseling for them.  The mentality that they can't be helped isn't working.  (With so many people in prison/jail now, clearly our way of punishment is not working.) Added to that I know that not everyone can be rehabilitated.

You do bring up a  good point about the specific charges that the sites give. Each state has their own statutes so it can be easily misconstrued.  Not to mention the fact that very rarely (I am not saying it never happens) does a stranger pick up a child and commit a crime.  It's usually a close family friend or member that will molest a child.  It kind of makes you think.  My goal is to not only help offenders but help spread the warning signs of possible sex offenders to parents and others. 

I am also focusing on the idea of civil commitment of sexually violent predators and the requirements as of the passing of the Adam Walsh Act in 2006. 

Inspired Contributor
MiloSW
0 Kudos

I don't think that's barefoot landing. Isn't that the new boardwalk that opened last year? My family goes down to MB quire a few times during the year. The parents are taking a trip next week, and they asked me to pet-sit for them. I wish I was going. The weather here has been nothing but snow, rain, and cold. Your pic just rubs it in even more. I'm so Jealous!:smileyhappy:
phoneboy
0 Kudos

Isn't that the new boardwalk that opened last year? 

Yes

@ crim, def a tough issue.   Many variables. Living in the 1 stop fix society makes your task that much harder.

Inspired Scribe
Nevermore1
0 Kudos

phoneboy wrote:

shatzie (aka "cheese girl") is correct. I'm in Myrtle Beach SC.  :smileyhappy:

How dog friendly is it for tourists down there?  My husband and I are trying to find a decent beach area to go to that is relatively dog friendly so we can bring our bad boy with us and the kids.  We're in VA just outside DC.

Inspired Scribe
Nevermore1
0 Kudos

crim_crazy622 wrote:

phoneboy wrote:

crim_crazy622 wrote:

I am working on a research project to finish my master in criminal justice.  I decided to pick the topic everyone wants to skirt tail around.  We have to do something but without research, we'd get no where! I know I'm crazy.

Not crazy, I'm always reading on that stuff as well.  Nothing quite like readin the latest on mass/serial killers and sex offenders.  We recently had a very interesting case in our area and I would have loved to have attended the trial except for who the defendant was.

Scribe
03FLHT2
0 Kudos

I hate it when people leave it unfinished. So who's the mystery on the trial.

Long Island

Suffolk County has a potential Mass Murder Criminal lose.  8 Bodies (female skeletons) have been recover at a place called Gilgo Beach.    Now they have extended the search into Nassau County.

Inspired Scribe
Nevermore1
0 Kudos

03FLHT2 wrote:

I hate it when people leave it unfinished. So who's the mystery on the trial.

Long Island

Suffolk County has a potential Mass Murder Criminal lose.  8 Bodies (female skeletons) have been recover at a place called Gilgo Beach.    Now they have extended the search into Nassau County.

I have never met the guy but it was my husbands nephews father.  He has only met my nephew twice but his lawyers were trying to find family members to be character witnesses.  The trial finished about a month ago and he was recommended for the death penalty. He raped and murdered a young lady that lived in the apt complex he managed.

I heard about the bodies in NY and am interested to see what will happen with it.

phoneboy
0 Kudos

@nevermore. Not to bad. Dogs are restricted to early and late in the day. Ill chk the times and get back to you. Lived in Vienna VA for 10yrs. Left in 98. Couldn't take the traffic or cost of living.
Inspired Scribe
Nevermore1
0 Kudos

phoneboy wrote:
@nevermore. Not to bad. Dogs are restricted to early and late in the day. Ill chk the times and get back to you. Lived in Vienna VA for 10yrs. Left in 98. Couldn't take the traffic or cost of living.

Thanks.  Be glad you got out of here when you did.  Traffic is much worse now than it was in 98 especially since they are putting in HOT Lanes on the Beltway - everything if messed up.  I'm in Annandale right across from NOVA (I also have a place in Lovettsville) and traffic is horrible!!!  My husband wants to move us to NC or SC to try to get away from all the traffic (and extremely rude people).

phoneboy
0 Kudos

I can believe that. Its been 7yrs since I visited. Most of my circle of friends left within a few yrs of me. Sucks that we all moved to dif states but we all agree we got out at the right time. Used to take 3-6 hours to get to the beach(Bay bridge parking lot) now I live 12 mins away n work a block n a half from the boardwalk. Yep, life is good. :smileyhappy:
Inspired Contributor
GummyBares
0 Kudos

Ur gonna see a lot of me phoneboy. Nice NC stand u got there. Well the weather here is very BIPOLAR?
"I Write Sins, Not Tragedies"
Inspired Wordsmith
dvt88
0 Kudos

All I can say is, very, very Cool! Glad you can Enjoy!
Inspired Correspondent
W8WCA
0 Kudos

Nice pics of Boardwalk pb!

Come by and Visit ClubNook!

Cheers Charlie