Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
jlhatch
0 Kudos

Re: Place Your Bets: What Will Happen November 7

http://www.technobuffalo.com/companies/google/android/nook-color-what-new-nook-color-why-new-nook-co...

I tend to dream alongside this author that they are going to announce 2 new Nook Colors. I wish whatever BN announces would have come sooner before so many pre-ordered Amazon Smokes - it may be too late to get on the holiday bandwagon, since all the December magazines have already been put to bed and won't be mentioning anything other than the competition.

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
0 Kudos

Nice dreaming but it is just dreams until Nov 7.  My source at Game Stop indicates that they do indeed have a tablet strategy but it doesn't revolve around any particular tablet.  Rather they are supposedly going to start offering a variety of tablets from different vendors that will have Game Stop branded software on them.  And while I am no Android expert, I don't see them pulling off a larger tablet with Gingerbread or being a vendor Google chooses for Honeycomb (ever) or Ice Cream Sandwich (yet).

I would think it would be easier for them to do 2 7" tablets, maybe the current NC with some serious software refresh and a new one with some new hardware.

I also remember that the original reports of a new Nookcolor had a parts list that was for the new device.  That list included LCD screens and e-ink screens.  I wonder if they are playing with the idea of dual screens (assuming that part list had any basis in reality).

Inspired Correspondent
jlhatch
0 Kudos

Ok, then here's what PCWorld thinks BN needs to do with a NC2:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/242899/new_nook_color_4_things_we_want_to_see.html#tk.hp_new

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
0 Kudos

That mostly makes sense.  Content delivery is gong to be a big thing.  Now that Amazon has gotten in the game it will be hard for BN to compete solely on price like they initially did with the NC (yes I now since then BN has added features making it an even better deal but initially it was very much a price thing).  They certainly could be one of the brands that Game Stop partners with also.  I hope it is something that no one never thought they would want or need but once they see it they decide they have to have it.

Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr commented:

> I really like that the NOOKcolor doesn't simply look like a black box as every other Android tablet does, and if they keep that character it will help with brand recognition. <

I agree!  It's just personal opinion, but I think the NC physical design is much more attractive than the bland black-box style of the KF.  Plus it's very comfortable to hold, with the fully rounded edges, and I'm not sure the KF will do as well in that regard.

- Mark

Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

I feel that way also. The shape. Even the little cutout part and the rubberized back are pluses for me. They add a little bit of percieved value, of course that doesn't always mean a better functionig product. I think in a crowded marketplace small toucbes and pleasant design still matter. After all part of Apple's success is the wonderfull elegant designs, Apple stuff just looks and feels good. BN should be commended I feel for not throwing out product that didn't just meet the accepted minimum standards, its good enough just get it to market. Hopefully they will be rewarded for the extra effort.
Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

Well what ever it is....I hope my covers all fit lol

Contributor
Shome
0 Kudos

I certainly hope that they stay with a small form factor.  They need to stay connected to the book market that is driving their sales.  A large tablet is not reading friendly.

I have seen two models predicted in the NC style.  I will make a prediction that one has blue tooth enabled and has a better sound system.  The more expensive model will have the previous features, a camera and 3G.  Both will have additional blue tooth add-ons like controllers, keyboards and headsets.

I would like to see a webos or playbook interface change but I am not counting on it this time.

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
0 Kudos

Two devices would seem overly ambitious right now.  Even Apple doesn't have 2 tablets going at the same time and they are more experienced at this than BN.  If there is a new device I don't even see BN sticking with the current NC but rather EOL'ing it like they did the N1E.  It takes a lot of resources to keep multiple devices going.

Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

Getting new carpeting mon. Maybe I will be able to sneak out and see what the changes are! My curiosity level is clearly exceeding the attention deserved, watching carpet installed though, doesn't take much to top that.