Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener

Please reorganize NookColor App Store to make it more useful!

Alex, 

I love organization and think B&N's efforts on reorganizing the forums is well intentioned.  But I am hoping (or asking) that the same attention be devoted to better organizing the NookColor app store.  The easier it is for consumers to find what they are looking for, the more likely they are to buy, which in turn will help B&N's bottom line.  Right now, I am finding shopping for apps to be a frustrating experience and as B&N adds "thousands more of must have apps", unless something gets done, I don't see it getting any easier or enjoyable.

IMO, it is a three-fold problem. 

1) The app categories need to be refined.  The categories are the same as they were in April 2011 when the store was introduced.  While the categories were sufficient then, it looks like some new categories are needed now. For example, under Education & Reference the following categories might help: Foriegn Languages, Study Aids - HS and up, and Religion. 

2) Since in some instances, there isn't a "good category" to put an app in, they are being put into the next best thing (which is ok sometimes, but not always consistent.)

3) I am just guessing here, but it looks like the app developers are deciding which categories their app should appear under. (Or more than one person at B&N is categorizing things, and they are "winging it.") While some apps do and should appear under more than one category, it appears to me that some of the app developers are really pushing it in order to get more exposure.  (It's some of the games, the puzzles and the screen savers that appear all over the place that getting in my way of shopping.)

I'm sure you have lots to do there at B&N but am asking you (and others involved in the NCStore) to put yourself in "consumer" mode and take your NC home this weekend and have spouse, parent, children, roommate (you get the idea --- someone who doesn't work with it all the time) look for the following and give you some feedback: 

• Go to the Education & Reference apps (currently 621).  Ask them if they think ALL those apps really belong in there.
  • This is a challenge.  Without typing in the phrase "italian app", see if you can find ALL of them in 10 minutes.  I will give you two hints. Most of the Foreign Language apps are categorized under Education & Reference: Dictionaries but there is one that doesn't appear under Education at all. (I found it on accident while looking for something else.)

Sorry for going on and on.  I like my NC and I want B&N to do well.  But unless you make it easy and fun to find and shop for apps, people are going to stop looking for them.  Thanks for considering this.   

BN_AlexG
Topics: 68
Kudos: 527
0 Kudos

Re: Please reorganize NookColor App Store to make it more useful!

Hi NookGardener,

Thank you for the feedback!

I've forwarded your suggestions to the corresponding product manager for review.

- Alex

Click the Laurel leaf to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue. This may help someone else.
New User
Planelaw
0 Kudos

Yes, please do. Attempting to find something I might be interested in turns me off, because I have to navigate through so much that I'm not interested in. Better, more refined catagories, better search system (actually not sure there is a genuine search system to begin with) for more specific apps. Anyway, said much better than I could by NookGardener.

BN_AlexG
Topics: 68
Kudos: 527
0 Kudos

This message has been moved to a more appropriate location. This helps to keep our boards organized.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

Alex, can you get this moved into the Ideas &Suggestiins area? Thanks