Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif
0 Kudos

Re: Power Cord Replacement Problems

quote:

Simply put, you shouldn't plug the charger into the wall until AFTER you've successfully plugged in the microUSB connector.  Doing it the other way around is just asking for problems.

The same goes when connecting to a PC.  Plug the microUSB connector securely into your NC first.  THEN plug the full-size USB connector into the PC.  Doing it in the other order risks blowing out at least one USB port on your PC, and possibly the Host hub, which will kill ALL your USB ports.

------------------

I say, malarkey, or should I say markarkey.  Sorry dude I disagree (normally I agree with most of your posts).  Your entitled to your opinion but which ever sequence you use shouldn't create a problem.  Your other statement about the amps is correct, but again the engineers should have designed the plug to accomodate the heat.  Yes the dang thing is flimsy, I said that so being careful to make the conneciton is critical.  

B&N Bookseller
MollyO
0 Kudos

The postings on this site are my own and do not represent Barnes & Noble’s positions, strategies or opinions.

Molly - CRM2723
Frequent Contributor
kjames0189

Thank you so much for all the support. I wanted to let everyone know that I finally received my power cord replacement and I am ever so grateful.  I did learn something that I and thought I would share.

Unfortunately, I never received an email confirmation, but was told several times that I could search UPS website using my serial number as a tracking number.  You have to enter your tracking number is in the “reference number field” and it works perfectly. I was able to determine that the cord was in transit and finally arrived yesterday.

I guess the moral of this story is persistence and patience.  I think BN Customer Services has good intentions, but they are overwhelmed with a multitude of issues due to the success of the product.  I am very relieved, because now I know my NC is fully registered!

Inspired Contributor
TheBeerSoapCompany
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

This is weird. I purchased my Nook Color in November and in April my cord broke. Called CS and they had a new cord in my hands in less than 3 days, no hassles.  But I am happy to see you did receive a new cable. The cables are horrible. I hope they update the charger cord for the next batch they produce. I am now on my 3rd cable.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

Beersoap, did you buy through BN, or a different retailer? Kjames bought through Staples. 

The problem is that BN accepts the device as registered for sales and will begin selling books via your NC as soon as you register the device, but refuses to recognize it as a registered for warranty purposes until the retailer you bought it from files their sale. 

I think BN is having its cake and eating it too by this policy, but many posters here seem to think this a legitimate policy on BN's part. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
New User
HowdyTexas
0 Kudos

Add to the list another Nook Color user with a broken power cord.  At first the end's housing cracked and then it broke off all together.  Now my Nook Color is a brick unles I jump through some hoops.  I don't have time for this.

Frequent Contributor
bookworm1215
0 Kudos

I took mine up to the local store today, because my power cord is shot and I bought mine in July.  I was hoping that store would just exchange the cord for me. nope not possible I had to call an 800 number to get one.  The funny part is when they tried another cord to confirm mine was shot the three they had there were all broken on the ends, so I said are those cords others have traded in I was told yes so I again asked if I could just get a new one from the shelf I was told no. I did the call the 800 number right there in the store and they are suppose to send me a new one we will see.   If barnes and noble knows that this a problem then they should just allow us to trade bad cords in at the store kinda of disappointed by the customer service I received.   They offered to charge it for me but I said that only helps me today not when the power goes again in a few days I am not really into driving for 30mins  to get it charged until my new cord comes in or the fact that I have some great books on my pc that I can't get on my ereader right now..

Inspired Contributor
VAharleygirl
0 Kudos

i think B&N should also allow a discount (25%?) on purchase of an addtional power cord.

My closest B&N is about 45min in all 3 directions (east takes me into the ocean :smileytongue: ) and only 1 is remotely convenient to visit - if I leave earlier for my 2nd job w/ no traffic issues AND want to pay for parking.

I have a $1k+ annual reading habit between all sources - with the closing of my in-town Borders, I am even more reliant on my Nook Color - and scared outta my mind that I'm gonna have my power cord break right before I have to work my 2nd job - Security Guard - where that's my stay awake & sane method. Yay for several of my local libraries having Overdrive accounts w/ some books I read. But not enough of the non NYT bestseller books I consume.

Frequent Contributor
bookworm1215
0 Kudos

Just an update I am very pleased with barnes and noble right now.  I just received my new power cord today after hearing some of the stories on the board I was a little scared, but I spoke with them on Sunday 11/6/11 late in the afternoon and received my new cord today tuesday 11/8/11 late in the afternoon.  Just in time because my battery was dying.. :smileyhappy: