Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
beeyebickiebuy
0 Kudos

Re: Power Cord Replacement Problems

chuck4prez wrote:

I'm sorry, that was vague of me.

"on it":

1.  Aware of the issue and trying to find the most cost effective solution. i.e. if it is cheaper for them to let two houses burn down(not intended to be factual) and replace over a million charging cables (the markup is incredible on most cables, I don't think these ones are any different), then that is what they will do. If it's cheaper to issue a recall and avoid some damaged property/person settlements, then that is what they will do.

2.  Jim and Ken from finance and accounting, Barb from customer relations, Seth from tech support, Carl from risk assessment, and Jethro from legal all meet every wednesday at 8:30 EST to brainstorm and discuss progress on the best method to get all the otherwise happy customers to stop complaining about the charging cable. Samantha from marketing joins via video conference at 9:10 to provide an update to the kind of vibes the online community users are displaying. Also to acquire the updated response of the week for the few that take the time to send her a PM.

Meanwhile Kim from employee relations, Tammie from HR, and Frank the customer service head manager are meeting twice a week to work on a plan to try and get more consistant information relayed to each customer service rep, and try to figure out how to get the reps to stop guessing, without leading them to file a claim with their union reps. The CS manager from the Phillipines division joins via satelite but the connection is weak and only 35% of the information gets passed along.

Nicely done.  applause

By the way, I am not as confident about this company as I once was now that I know that their legal guy's name is Jethro.  :smileywink:

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

[ Edited ]

@kjames:  I think the thing that's most poorly documented about the charging system is that you need to connect the cable to the NC first and connect the cable to power second.  Doing it the other way can damage your NC or the charging cable. 

The process is outlined in the user guide, but unlike the guides for most electronics, the "how to connect to power" is not the first section of the guide.

The other thing to be aware of is that although you can use your NC while it charges, doing so is often not a good idea.  Especially if you are reading a book (so it has to be held upright) you do not want to charge while you use it, since resting the device on the charging cable is much likelier to damage the cable and/or the USB connector. 

Finally, pay attention to whether your NC, your charging transformer, or your cable seem to be heating up.

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Wordsmith
JinSC
0 Kudos

kjames0189 wrote:

Update -

There seems to be a glitch in the BN computer system that will not allow the purchase date to be saved in the system. ....The guy finally told me the system showed a purchase date of yesterday, which was the last time I had called.

James, look on the bright side....your warranty started yesterday!!!!!

Jeremy

Frequent Contributor
kjames0189
0 Kudos

Thanks...that is exactly how I've been connecting my charging cord. I never use my Nook while it is charging. I always leave it on my desk to charge.

Distinguished Wordsmith
rbentley101

I completely sympathize with anyone having trouble with B&N customer service.  The issues over "thrid party sellers" and "serial numbers not being in the system" should NOT be any issue as ever NC in existence is still covered by warranty.

I had a charger cord issue and is was promptly and quickly addressed at at B&N store with no questions asked.  A number of other people have reported similar results.  The only post I recall where a B&N store did not replace the cable was because they did not have one available and in that case the OP acknowledged that they refered him/her to another store.

I recognize that not everyone has a B&N store within a few miles.  I do feel your pain and sypathize with you.  B&N online CS does not have a very good reputation based on posts here.  I can only encourage you to continue to be assertive, visit the nearest B&N if possible and if not, perhaps consider buying a new cord for $20.00 while waiting for a replacement.  You can at least then continue to use your device and not have it be an "expensive paperweight."  You can resale the new cord when it does get to you or keep two which is not a bad idea.  You should not have to do this, but maybe it is making the best out of a bad situation.  You can continue to be angry and frustrated and very upset or you can cure this problem immediately for $20.00 and then seek redress at your leisure without damage to your blood pressure or other personal relationships.

Reader 4
magritte
0 Kudos

Like the OP, I had a frustrating experience getting a replacement cord. 

My problem occurred within 2 weeks of purchase (from Best Buy). I called Nook Customer Service & the pleasant rep promptly diagnosed my problem as a bad charger, & said I would receive a new one in 3 to 5 days.

2 weeks later, no charger, I called again. They promised I'd have it in 3 to 5 days.

1 week later, still no charger & I called again. Now I'm told that "there was no shipping label created" for the previous 2 calls so it never got sent....

Finally received it, about a month after my original call.

Regrettably, I completed an email survey about my CS experience after the 1st call. I'm adding my experience here because I sure wish I could retract that original favorable impression!

So--if you are awaiting a cord, get a tracking # or some confirmation it is actually shipped as promised.

Distinguished Correspondent
peppyauntie121
0 Kudos

peppyauntie121 wrote:

kjames0189 wrote:

I read all the difficulty that folks have had with customer support and really thought there is no way things could be that bad. Unfortunately, I have experienced frustrations with customer support first hand.

My power adapter for my NC broke and I’ve been trying for over a month to get a replacement cord.  First I was told that my NC didn’t have a purchase date recorded in the system. I don’t have a local store and bought mine at Staples. Each time I’ve called, I’ve been given a new excuse. Over all, I’ve been working for a month to get the cord replaced. Now I have a fancy and expensive paperweight.

I just don’t know who to call to get help; I’ve tried calling Digital Support many times and have continuously been given the run around.  I keep asking for a manger and that doesn’t seem to help either. I am almost ready to buy my own cord, but I don’t feel like I should have to. My NC is only 2 months old. Good thing I have some old fashion books to read right now.

At one point, I dearly loved my NC, really did, but now I am so frustrated I could honestly cry!

There are some serious customer service issues with Barnes & Noble Digital Support; I fear that if these issues are not corrected this wonderful product will suffer. If I can't get help soon, I will probably never buy another device and I was thinking about purchasing Nooks as Christmas gifts for my family. Oh well....

Thanks for listening. I just needed to vent, but if someone does have a magic phone number to call for help, please share. Otherwise, I'm going call every day until I get someone to help.

Take care.

What are they telling you at CS?  I had my NC since April, and last Saturday the little plug that goes into the Nook crumbled....  Now, what kind of cheap lousy plastic do they make it with? Especially considering we are expected to plug it in to charge at least once every day!  It's not a once a month usage! 

Sooo, I called 800-thebooks, and the rep told me I did not need a reference # for the call since they would send me an email verifying the call.  And that the new cord would be shipped in 5-8 days.  Monday evening I called again, since I never received an email.  They said they had my call on record, and that it would be shipped out from the warehouse who would then send me an email.   So, tonight, Wednesday, I still haven't received this email. So I know your frustration. 

I realize it hasn't been very long that I've been waiting....yet..... but hearing stories like on this thread make me think I will be waiting longer than I had anticipated.  Good luck with yours..   Fortunately, i had previously purchased a BN Nook Color car charger, so I'm not left with....gasp.....paper books as my only reading material!  lol......

Well, I have to give props to B&N...   My replacement NC charger cord arrived by UPS at my doorstop today, Friday.  I originally made my complaint to them this past Saturday about my crumbling cord.  And, just to make it sweeter, the little plug seems to go in the NC much easier.  My advice to anyone who has any problems with their cord is to go to a BN or call CS and get a replacement asap.... while you are under warrenty. 

roustabout
0 Kudos

Another good reason to buy from BN

If you have the option of buying at your local BN, I think the warranty issues this thread exposed are pretty persuasive reasons to take your business to them. 

It's clear that BN are a lot more able to take care of the supply chain end to end for their own customers than for other vendors' customers. 

I don't know how well Staples is able to work the system for its customers.  Possibly very well, if you realize that calling BN is not as helpful as strolling into the outlet you bought at to start with. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
deemure
0 Kudos

roustabout wrote:

Until November, every Nook Color is under warranty.  BN should have shipped the cable immediately and told the customer to ping Staples about registering the sale or no additional warranty work would be done.  

There's no way the NC couldn't be under warranty, even if this person was trying to pull a fast one of some sort. 

I agree, they are under warranty and a cord should be shipped or replaced. But the owner does have to get Staples to fix the purchase date for future warranty concerns. That was what I was saying. It is also possible that defective products initially must be exchanged at the place of purchase if still under their return policy. Even if it is a minor part that is broken. I have had this happen before with other items. BN doesn't know if it is still Staple's responsibility.
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Inspired Contributor
crabbybob
0 Kudos

It looks like I have to replace the USB cord on my NC because the old one neither rapid charges the device, nor connects it to my PC.  I bought it at Best Buy and I can't find the sales slip.  I hope this isn't going to be a hassle.

Correspondent
susgod
0 Kudos

DITTO!

Owned 2 weeks - cord broke in SAME spot - B&N store exchanged cord with no questions asked.

skipy wrote:

Mine broke at the same spot and I took it into the store...Guy handed me another cord without any questions at all. Never even looked at Nook or recorded info. Told me he'd already had several people come in for the same issue. Now the second cord is doing the same thing...hey, R&D Department...reading this?

Inspired Contributor
crabbybob

[ Edited ]

I just got back from Best Buy and am happy to report that they replaced the cable and wall adaptor.

I actually started at the B&N outlet because Best Buy's 30 day return period had expired, and I thought maybe it would be quicker to deal directly with the manufacturer in this case.  The young man I dealt with was very professional and after verifying the cord was bad he handed me a new one and phoned the manager to OK the exchange.  Things seem to be moving along well until he asked where I purchased the unit.  Without thinking I replied Best Buy.  Unfortunately in that case he said he couldn't exchange a defective part, even though it was covered under warranty, and they had a replacement part in stock.

I was very disappointed but I didn't argue with him.  I can understand that there's a process that has to be followed, and it's B&N's  policy not to replace defective parts directly with consumers who don't purchase directly from their outlets.  On the other hand it really bothered me to have the replacement parts in my hand and have to give them  back.  Maybe it's just me, but I honestly believe, that if I were on the other side of the counter I would have replaced the defective parts, regardless of where the unit was purchased.

So, I left the store kicking myself for not having bought it directly from B&N.  In my defense I didn't even know the store existed, and if I had I probably would have bought the NC there.  But what's done is done.  I headed to Best Buy.

All the way to Best Buy  I kept switching between regret for not having bought the unit directly from B&N, and anger at the thought that regardless of where I bought it, it's a B&N product, designed by B&N, built by B&N, warranteed by B&N, and I had the darn replacement part in my hand, but had to give it back!

OK.  By the time I got to the Geek Squad counter I figured I'd make at least one attempt at getting them to replace the part.  The thought that I had lost the sales receipt was weighing on my mind, and I figured if they argued  I would just buy the replacement and end the matter.  Well, the first thing the BB rep asked for was the sales slip, which I didn't have.  No problem, he then asked for my phone number.  Unfortunately I never give out my phone number.  No problem, he then asked for the credit card, which I hand over.  He runs it through the cash register and up pops an exchange receipt.  Things were looking good.

He goes out back and gets a brand new NC, opens the box, pulls out the charger and pulgs it into my NC.  The device information screen shows my NC is charging.  He unplugs it, plugs my charger in, and the device info screen shows not charging.  He then offers me a choice to either take the new NC and charger, or just replace the charger.  I have absolutely no confidence in B&N's quality control.  That's not a angry slam against B&N, and it's not evidence of some deep seated psychosomatic issue related to my screen name.  It's an opinion based on experience. So, I opt to keep the devil I know rather than take a chance on a new unit.

I guess it's hard to compare the two experiences.  On the one hand I didn't buy the unit directly from B&N so I can see where they wouldn't feel a responsibility to replace the defective part in the store.  On the other hand they are the manufacturer.  In the end I guess I have to give B&N a rating of "decent" on their customer service.  They didn't have to help, and they didn't, but they were professional. 

BB on the other hand, exceeded what they had to do to help me.  I felt bad that they had to open a new unit just to replace the charger, so I suggested that maybe I should just buy one, but it's like the guy said, the unit is still under warranty, so I shouldn't  have to pay for defective parts.

I probably won't be buying B&N hardware in the future because I believe the quality of their products is too low.  However, if by some chance that opinion changes, and I do purchase another B&N product, I'll go back to Best Buy.

Correspondent
moogs
0 Kudos

I don't believe that b& n actually manufactures the device. Theory: I would be willing to bet there are several chinese plants that do the actual manufacturing of a device built to a certain spec. They load up the b&n software and sell to b&n and anyone who b& n gives the plant permission to sell to. This may explain why you need to go back to the original seller. In order to get credit from the chinese manufacturer retailers would have to have serial numbers that match purchases. This would go a long way in explaining why some get immediate replacement from b&n and other get sent away. I'm not sure I would do it that way but the profit margin and retailer agreements might make it impossible to do it any other way. I have also read that it is quite common for different plants to make things of differing quality using the same spec and that may be why some cords are fine and others seem to be shorting out and catching fire.
Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif
0 Kudos

This thread has pointed out a continuing problem with the charger or USB cord and it's plug.  How prevalent the problem exists is not indicated because this thread or other similar threads have many tales of woe which backup the failure claim as an ongoing issue.  The fact is at least 2 - 4 million Nookcolor's have been sold, people go online looking for solutions and many check out this forum.  If the problem was huge there would be thread after thread filled with complaints.  That very thing happened 2 days after the 1.2 upgrade and B&N server started resetting thousands on Nookcolors, every other thread seemed it was about the server resetting Nookcolors.  So while there are obviously failures the real scope of those failures hasn't been revealed, and though failure are occurring it may not be more than other incidental failures.

(Note: I'm not trying to make light of the problems people are reporting here, I am simply pointing out that while these exist they may be just a small patch of weeds in the flower bed.)

One aspect regarding the power cord/charger/connector failures is how poorly B&N outsourced customer service is.  As one recent survey pointed out B&N CS ranked at the bottom.  A couple of pointers:

1st, how well this actually works, but worth a try when calling, try to call before 5pm EST and once connected to B&N CS 9 out of 10 times you will be talking to offshore CS in the Philippines.  Ask for a USA based customer service representative.  Supposedly it is the official policy of B&N that they are required to transfer you.  (Many have said this doesn't work, when I first posted this I was told this buy the local B&N store Mgr.  I tried it and it worked.)

2nd. If you are supposed to get an exchange or replacement of some sort, either the power cord/USB cable etc, ask for the "case number".  There is some sort of tracking number for your case, ask for that number. Always get the name of the person or employee number of the person you are talking too.  (This is very important if you have to complain via email.)

3rd.  When you are told you are supposed to receive an email to confirm the conversation, ask who generates the email, or  even try saying I will wait on hold while you (CS rep) send me the email.  I have done this with other companies, sometimes they do it right then other times/companies they won't. If you don't get that email in 24 hours, you have to follow-up the next day, both with a phone call and email complaint.  It is seriously frustrating to have to make these calls and wait, but it is more frustrating to have a useless NC sitting there for weeks.

The advice to NOT use your NC while charging is sound advice.  Neither the NC mini USB connector or the mini USB cord connector was designed for this, both are flimsily constructed. Even the simply act of plugging the USB connector to the NC sometimes can be difficult, (DON'T force it, just retry until all is aligned and it easily connects).

The quote from the user manual about the sequence of how to connect the USB power connection is not a hard rule.  The voltages are very small, any design engineer knows that everyone has the charger plugged into the wall and cable attached to the charger, when the NC needs a charge the NC is connected to the mini USB connector which is already plugged in.

Should B&N take a look at improving the connectors and possible location of the USB connector?  Sure, failures tell you that.  Is it going to happen any time soon?  Not likely, B&N contracts for and orders the NC in  huge quantities months before they get delivery.  Design changes won't usually happen until there is a series change, and so far the only series difference is OS/storage related not hardware related.

Distinguished Correspondent
gaming_grandma
0 Kudos

I'm in my 70's so clearly I'm not taking my NC on cross country races or exposing the charger to hazardous conditions. I on my 4th cord since November. The last one was not properly glued at the point where it connects to the reader. The local B&N store has been great about replacing the cords and said when I brought in the last one that I was the second person that day with the same problem. The cords seem to be the" horseshoe nails" of the NC system
Inspired Contributor
crabbybob
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

gaming_grandma wrote:
I'm in my 70's so clearly I'm not taking my NC on cross country races or exposing the charger to hazardous conditions. I on my 4th cord since November. The last one was not properly glued at the point where it connects to the reader. The local B&N store has been great about replacing the cords and said when I brought in the last one that I was the second person that day with the same problem. The cords seem to be the" horseshoe nails" of the NC system

Hmmm. Maybe I should have bought a spare cable while I was at Best Buy.   The first one lasted only 4 months, and  it would be nice to have a backup until I can get to Best Buy for a replacement when this one goes bad. 

Inspired Contributor
crabbybob
0 Kudos

moogs wrote:
I don't believe that b& n actually manufactures the device. Theory: I would be willing to bet there are several chinese plants that do the actual manufacturing of a device built to a certain spec. They load up the b&n software and sell to b&n and anyone who b& n gives the plant permission to sell to. This may explain why you need to go back to the original seller. In order to get credit from the chinese manufacturer retailers would have to have serial numbers that match purchases. This would go a long way in explaining why some get immediate replacement from b&n and other get sent away. I'm not sure I would do it that way but the profit margin and retailer agreements might make it impossible to do it any other way. I have also read that it is quite common for different plants to make things of differing quality using the same spec and that may be why some cords are fine and others seem to be shorting out and catching fire.

I think you've proposed a very credible theory.

Inspired Contributor
crabbybob
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

yocalif wrote:

This thread has pointed out a continuing problem with the charger or USB cord and it's plug.  How prevalent the problem exists is not indicated because this thread or other similar threads have many tales of woe which backup the failure claim as an ongoing issue.  The fact is at least 2 - 4 million Nookcolor's have been sold, people go online looking for solutions and many check out this forum.  If the problem was huge there would be thread after thread filled with complaints.  That very thing happened 2 days after the 1.2 upgrade and B&N server started resetting thousands on Nookcolors, every other thread seemed it was about the server resetting Nookcolors.  So while there are obviously failures the real scope of those failures hasn't been revealed, and though failure are occurring it may not be more than other incidental failures.

(Note: I'm not trying to make light of the problems people are reporting here, I am simply pointing out that while these exist they may be just a small patch of weeds in the flower bed.)

One aspect regarding the power cord/charger/connector failures is how poorly B&N outsourced customer service is.  As one recent survey pointed out B&N CS ranked at the bottom.  A couple of pointers:

1st, how well this actually works, but worth a try when calling, try to call before 5pm EST and once connected to B&N CS 9 out of 10 times you will be talking to offshore CS in the Philippines.  Ask for a USA based customer service representative.  Supposedly it is the official policy of B&N that they are required to transfer you.  (Many have said this doesn't work, when I first posted this I was told this buy the local B&N store Mgr.  I tried it and it worked.)

2nd. If you are supposed to get an exchange or replacement of some sort, either the power cord/USB cable etc, ask for the "case number".  There is some sort of tracking number for your case, ask for that number. Always get the name of the person or employee number of the person you are talking too.  (This is very important if you have to complain via email.)

3rd.  When you are told you are supposed to receive an email to confirm the conversation, ask who generates the email, or  even try saying I will wait on hold while you (CS rep) send me the email.  I have done this with other companies, sometimes they do it right then other times/companies they won't. If you don't get that email in 24 hours, you have to follow-up the next day, both with a phone call and email complaint.  It is seriously frustrating to have to make these calls and wait, but it is more frustrating to have a useless NC sitting there for weeks.

The advice to NOT use your NC while charging is sound advice.  Neither the NC mini USB connector or the mini USB cord connector was designed for this, both are flimsily constructed. Even the simply act of plugging the USB connector to the NC sometimes can be difficult, (DON'T force it, just retry until all is aligned and it easily connects).

The quote from the user manual about the sequence of how to connect the USB power connection is not a hard rule.  The voltages are very small, any design engineer knows that everyone has the charger plugged into the wall and cable attached to the charger, when the NC needs a charge the NC is connected to the mini USB connector which is already plugged in.

Should B&N take a look at improving the connectors and possible location of the USB connector?  Sure, failures tell you that.  Is it going to happen any time soon?  Not likely, B&N contracts for and orders the NC in  huge quantities months before they get delivery.  Design changes won't usually happen until there is a series change, and so far the only series difference is OS/storage related not hardware related.

I totally agree that the connector is flimsy and it's not likely B&N will change it in the foreseable future.  If nothing else B&N has proven that they fix problems on their schedule, not the consumer's. 

I put a lot of effort into protecting my cable by being careful to insert it gently and not put any strain on it, and it still failed.  Since there's no visible sign of damage, I must have inadvertently damaged it by not strictly adhering to the UG.  I didn't appreciate how serious the rules were, but now I do.

I'm going to change how I use the device in the hope of avoiding another cable failure,  which means it's going to be much less useful.  But, I've become dependent on it at work and don't want to lose access to it by being insensitive to it's fragility.

Contributor
cher17
0 Kudos

I had a bad power cord on my nook color and I called BN and told them that it would not charge my nook. They told me they would send me a new one and I had it in 2 days. They were very helpful and and sent it right out. 

Inspired Contributor
crabbybob
0 Kudos

cher17 wrote:

I had a bad power cord on my nook color and I called BN and told them that it would not charge my nook. They told me they would send me a new one and I had it in 2 days. They were very helpful and and sent it right out. 

That's great!  Were you on hold very long (more than 15 minutes)?  I might try that next time.  But I'll buy a spare cable first so that in the event the replacement doesn't show up in two day's I can still charge the NC.