Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
kjames0189
0 Kudos

Power Cord Replacement Problems

I read all the difficulty that folks have had with customer support and really thought there is no way things could be that bad. Unfortunately, I have experienced frustrations with customer support first hand.

My power adapter for my NC broke and I’ve been trying for over a month to get a replacement cord.  First I was told that my NC didn’t have a purchase date recorded in the system. I don’t have a local store and bought mine at Staples. Each time I’ve called, I’ve been given a new excuse. Over all, I’ve been working for a month to get the cord replaced. Now I have a fancy and expensive paperweight.

I just don’t know who to call to get help; I’ve tried calling Digital Support many times and have continuously been given the run around.  I keep asking for a manger and that doesn’t seem to help either. I am almost ready to buy my own cord, but I don’t feel like I should have to. My NC is only 2 months old. Good thing I have some old fashion books to read right now.

At one point, I dearly loved my NC, really did, but now I am so frustrated I could honestly cry!

There are some serious customer service issues with Barnes & Noble Digital Support; I fear that if these issues are not corrected this wonderful product will suffer. If I can't get help soon, I will probably never buy another device and I was thinking about purchasing Nooks as Christmas gifts for my family. Oh well....

Thanks for listening. I just needed to vent, but if someone does have a magic phone number to call for help, please share. Otherwise, I'm going call every day until I get someone to help.

Take care.

Wordsmith
Droiddict
0 Kudos

Re: Power Cord Replacement Problems

If it is only 2 months old, have you tried going back to Staples?  If they can't replace the cord, maybe they can at least help you with the purchase verification that Barnes and Noble wants.  

My mom's cord broke at the small end about 2 months after we got it.  I called support and they verified the serial number and the last 4 of the credit card that I use to purchase on it.  We haven't actually gotten the cord yet but I think I called last Thursday and they said 5-8 days.  

Correspondent
moogs
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I would buy a cord and work for reimbursement from B&N or Staples. Cords are fairly inexpensive compared to the device. Leaving it unused on "principle" seems to hurt you the most.

By the way, my dealings w/ CS have been great. The only difference is I bought direct from BN.

You really need to get the reader registered properly with B & N in case you have a complete reader failure during the 1 year warranty.

Reader 2
danib1202

Please don't feel like the only one that has problems with CS. It has been over a month that I have been working on getting a new cord and still nothing. I keep getting the run around of well it's been shipped or we will be happy to reship it to you. STILL NOTHING!!!!!!

This is crazy that I have an expensive paper weight sitting here. Don't get me wrong. I love my NC but this is ridiculous!!!!!!!

B&N Bookseller
MollyO
0 Kudos

Apologies for your difficulties with your NC power cord and with our technology support team.

With device purchases from 3rd party sellers (i.e. Best Buy, Staples, WalMart, etc.) there have been some difficulties with serial number tracking. At times the serial number is not being recorded when the alternate retail company is completing the transaction or the information of the sale is not being relayed to B&N, letting our support team know that the device has been sold.

Unfortunately if the information for your NOOK has not been entered into the B&N system or relayed from Staples, you will need to return to Staples in order to get them involved in the replacement process. 

Molly - CRM2723
Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif

I am not sure I buy the 3rd party serial number registration excuse.  Yes they may have that as a problem, but there is no problem looking into the system and seeing when your unit was registered for the 1st time.  You have a B&N acct and that info should be accessible.

Go back to Staples, demand that they call B&N right in front of you.  You have been more than patient. 

Also if you have to talk on the phone to B&N support, then try asking for a US based customer support, supposedly official B&N policy is that the offshore support is suppose to transfer you, give it a try and don't accept no until they hang up on you.

Another thing you might try, is call the closest B&N store and ask for a manager, once you know you are talking to a manager explain that you did purchase the NC from Staples and the problem you have had, and how B&N customer service is NOT helping you, ask him to put you on hold and call customer service (it is back East usa ), and make sure that customer service will call you right back in next 10 minutes, if not you will call this manager again.

(You have to use a bit of strategy in how to talk to the manager to get them to do what you want, so chose your words carefully.)

Distinguished Correspondent
peppyauntie121
0 Kudos

kjames0189 wrote:

I read all the difficulty that folks have had with customer support and really thought there is no way things could be that bad. Unfortunately, I have experienced frustrations with customer support first hand.

My power adapter for my NC broke and I’ve been trying for over a month to get a replacement cord.  First I was told that my NC didn’t have a purchase date recorded in the system. I don’t have a local store and bought mine at Staples. Each time I’ve called, I’ve been given a new excuse. Over all, I’ve been working for a month to get the cord replaced. Now I have a fancy and expensive paperweight.

I just don’t know who to call to get help; I’ve tried calling Digital Support many times and have continuously been given the run around.  I keep asking for a manger and that doesn’t seem to help either. I am almost ready to buy my own cord, but I don’t feel like I should have to. My NC is only 2 months old. Good thing I have some old fashion books to read right now.

At one point, I dearly loved my NC, really did, but now I am so frustrated I could honestly cry!

There are some serious customer service issues with Barnes & Noble Digital Support; I fear that if these issues are not corrected this wonderful product will suffer. If I can't get help soon, I will probably never buy another device and I was thinking about purchasing Nooks as Christmas gifts for my family. Oh well....

Thanks for listening. I just needed to vent, but if someone does have a magic phone number to call for help, please share. Otherwise, I'm going call every day until I get someone to help.

Take care.

What are they telling you at CS?  I had my NC since April, and last Saturday the little plug that goes into the Nook crumbled....  Now, what kind of cheap lousy plastic do they make it with? Especially considering we are expected to plug it in to charge at least once every day!  It's not a once a month usage! 

Sooo, I called 800-thebooks, and the rep told me I did not need a reference # for the call since they would send me an email verifying the call.  And that the new cord would be shipped in 5-8 days.  Monday evening I called again, since I never received an email.  They said they had my call on record, and that it would be shipped out from the warehouse who would then send me an email.   So, tonight, Wednesday, I still haven't received this email. So I know your frustration. 

I realize it hasn't been very long that I've been waiting....yet..... but hearing stories like on this thread make me think I will be waiting longer than I had anticipated.  Good luck with yours..   Fortunately, i had previously purchased a BN Nook Color car charger, so I'm not left with....gasp.....paper books as my only reading material!  lol......

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

So, apparently according to someone Molly is wrong. She has given the advice that can best help. It relates to a puchase date and a third party seller. The other advice given was to see about puchasing a replacement cord in the meantime. It is important to go to Staples so that the purchase date is registered. If not, then BN has no idea when it was bought. They don't know if the owner started using it right away or waited a couple months.
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
roustabout
0 Kudos

Until November, every Nook Color is under warranty.  BN should have shipped the cable immediately and told the customer to ping Staples about registering the sale or no additional warranty work would be done.  

There's no way the NC couldn't be under warranty, even if this person was trying to pull a fast one of some sort. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Frequent Contributor
kjames0189
0 Kudos

I'm glad I'm not alone....it sounds like there are issues with the power cord. My cord broke exactly the same way that someone else described.

I have been assured by Digital Support many times that the warranty information was updated (I've called probably 10 times and even offered to fax my receipt). I'm just curious why returning to Staples wasn't recommended by CS staff? Are you a member of the customer support team? Could you possibly forward my concerns? 

I have also been told after each call that I would receive a confirmation email when the cord was being shipped. I still haven't received this email and my latest call was yesterday. I am going to wait until tier 2 support opens at 9 a.m. and will call again today. If I can't make any further progress, I'm going to contact the closest store which is about 3 hours away and see if the manager can help me.

Thank you for all the suggestions.

New User
skipy
0 Kudos

Mine broke at the same spot and I took it into the store...Guy handed me another cord without any questions at all. Never even looked at Nook or recorded info. Told me he'd already had several people come in for the same issue. Now the second cord is doing the same thing...hey, R&D Department...reading this?

Contributor
cdundas
0 Kudos

If you happen to have a Blackberry, their charger will work. When I plugged my NC in, the status says not charging, but after about four hours it was back up to100%. I did that just until my BN replacement charger came in. For me, it took about four days.
Inspired Wordsmith
beeyebickiebuy
0 Kudos

To me this seems like it should be the absolute number one priority on the NC roadmap.  Not reading in landscape, not new apps, not anything else until this issue is totally resolved.  After all, if one cannot charge their device the thing is useless, no matter how many features it has.

Has anyone received word that this is being addressed on a global scale, i.e., fixing the problem for all present and future owners, not just those who are having this problem?

Inspired Wordsmith
chuck4prez
0 Kudos

beeyebickiebuy wrote:

To me this seems like it should be the absolute number one priority on the NC roadmap.  Not reading in landscape, not new apps, not anything else until this issue is totally resolved.  After all, if one cannot charge their device the thing is useless, no matter how many features it has.

Has anyone received word that this is being addressed on a global scale, i.e., fixing the problem for all present and future owners, not just those who are having this problem?

If 8 doctors and nurses are on their way to a convention and they encounter someone in need of CPR, two of them can achieve the same level of productivity as all 8, so there is no reason why the other 6 need to be late for the convention.

No need to triage this one. My guess is they are on it. We all know how tight lipped they are on what they are up to. Must be a hippa thing.

roustabout
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

"Has anyone received word that this is being addressed"

Nope.  I've never even seen BN acknowledge that they have a systematic problem with this, let alone that they're doing anything about it.

There's no fix on the current hardware platform except "be careful." 

Any solution to this would need to address both the cable and the fitting to the device. 

I think they'd need to send everyone a charging cradle of some kind.  Perhaps a 5" wide cradle that would fit across the entire base of the NC (like the old Palm cradles) and relieve strain by being able to run the USB cable itself out at an angle.

Suddenly, though, everyone who'd bought a case that let them keep their NC in the case while they charged would have a much less conventient case. 

I don't think simply putting an L on a USB cable of the kind they're using now would work well, as you'd still have the weight of the device supported on the connection.  

The USB port on the NC is not designed to the same standard that the Palm cradle connection was - that was a well thought-out, rugged connector, and every Palm device I came across had high manufacturing standards. 

I think the real design problem here is that the charging cycle on the Nook is what BN knew, and that's a very infrequent charging cycle compared to the NC. It seems that no one on the design team thought much about the implication of using the charger so much more often during the life of the device. 

I'm not sure how many other Android devices have this issue.  It may well be common to a great number them. 

Android kit is being pushed out the door incredibly quickly and it shows. The platform as a whole has a very hardware failure rate. 

http://www.mobilityfeeds.com/mobility-feed/2011/06/android-smartphones-more-prone-to-hardware-failur...

That said, this is a pretty interesting charging alternative:

http://www.discountcell.com/cellular/p/sagalaxy-tab_11358NZ_3

Unfortunately, the G tab has a 30 pin output with HDMI suppport, so this cradle doesn't seem like it would work.  There may be one which does, though, I need to look carefully at the hardware that other folks have out there. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Inspired Wordsmith
beeyebickiebuy
0 Kudos

chuck4prez wrote:

No need to triage this one. My guess is they are on it. We all know how tight lipped they are on what they are up to. Must be a hippa thing.

They are "on it" in what manner?  All that we have seen is them in a reactive mode, replacing cords in store, by mail, and sometimes not at all.  Because people are having problems with powercords, from them breaking to catching their couch on fire, you would think that they would be a little more proactive on this, i.e., notify NC owners that they should be cognizant of the cord problems, which may break, overheat, be a fire hazard, etc., and assure everyone that this problem is being addressed, and a solution will be in place by (fill in the target date).  Something like that would give me confidence that they are "on it."

roustabout

Oh, I'm sure they're "on it," just as Ford was "on" the Pinto. 

On it can mean lots of different things.  Here on it appears to mean "hope no one manages to do anything really attention getting by charging an NC downstairs while the family is asleep upstairs."

That really does seem to be the BN roadmap for addressing this. 

Inspired Wordsmith
beeyebickiebuy
0 Kudos

roustabout wrote:

Oh, I'm sure they're "on it," just as Ford was "on" the Pinto. 

On it can mean lots of different things.  Here on it appears to mean "hope no one manages to do anything really attention getting by charging an NC downstairs while the family is asleep upstairs."

That really does seem to be the BN roadmap for addressing this. 

Yeah, that's what I thought.  Thanks for the confirmation.

Imagine how many NC owners are out there who have no idea of this power cord risk.  

Just like nearly everything in life it is all about money.  It is much cheaper for them to react to the occasional fire or two, than to permanently fix it.

Inspired Wordsmith
chuck4prez

I'm sorry, that was vague of me.

"on it":

1.  Aware of the issue and trying to find the most cost effective solution. i.e. if it is cheaper for them to let two houses burn down(not intended to be factual) and replace over a million charging cables (the markup is incredible on most cables, I don't think these ones are any different), then that is what they will do. If it's cheaper to issue a recall and avoid some damaged property/person settlements, then that is what they will do.

2.  Jim and Ken from finance and accounting, Barb from customer relations, Seth from tech support, Carl from risk assessment, and Jethro from legal all meet every wednesday at 8:30 EST to brainstorm and discuss progress on the best method to get all the otherwise happy customers to stop complaining about the charging cable. Samantha from marketing joins via video conference at 9:10 to provide an update to the kind of vibes the online community users are displaying. Also to acquire the updated response of the week for the few that take the time to send her a PM.

Meanwhile Kim from employee relations, Tammie from HR, and Frank the customer service head manager are meeting twice a week to work on a plan to try and get more consistant information relayed to each customer service rep, and try to figure out how to get the reps to stop guessing, without leading them to file a claim with their union reps. The CS manager from the Phillipines division joins via satelite but the connection is weak and only 35% of the information gets passed along.

Frequent Contributor
kjames0189
0 Kudos

Update -

There seems to be a glitch in the BN computer system that will not allow the purchase date to be saved in the system. As a result, when they try to finalize the order, it will not process. I caught on when I asked the CS rep what purchase date the system showed. He replied, "recently" then I pushed him until I got a real date. The guy finally told me the system showed a purchase date of yesterday, which was the last time I had called. Today, I was assured that the issued has been resolved, but I'm doubtful because I haven't gotten a confirmation email. I have my fingers crossed.

After reading some of the posts in this thread, I am VERY concerned about the possibility of FIRE! I just thought this was an annoying quality control issue, not a safety concern. Sounds like a recall is necessary. Also, what is the best way to charge the device that minimizes the stress on the cord? Once I do get my replacement, I want to be sure I don't have a similar problem in the future.

Thanks for all the support. I really does help knowing I'm not alone.