Frequent Contributor
Snooki
0 Kudos

Price may be going up on Nook Color

The HSN price is now $329.90.

Will we see a price increase in the B&N stores?

If so, I'd say current owners got a good deal :smileytongue:

Frequent Contributor
pyrexa
0 Kudos

Re: Price may be going up on Nook Color

This press release from Tablet Planet lists it at $300 

http://tablets-planet.com/2011/03/27/upcoming-barnes-noble-nook-color-update-to-make-it-the-best-300...

I think the software update this month would certanly make nookcolor saleable at $300.

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

I just ordered my 3rd NC and I asked just that question to the CS rep, and she said, she was not aware of any price increase.

She also stated that the update will be released in waves by region and will begin mid April.

Frequent Contributor
MIM49
0 Kudos

Usually prices go down unless there is a change in the product like Nook vs NookColor. HSN is ccharging more because they addeed items --"FREE" books and SD card.
Frequent Contributor
netscorer

Yesterday I opened my hotel room mini fridge and found a bottle of spring water for $3.50 This is the same brand that you can buy a case for $5.00 at the nearest grocery. I figure the price of bottled water should go substantially up based on this evidence.
Frequent Contributor
pyrexa
0 Kudos

The price did go up on 3rd party sites, most likely due to the press release.  Looks like it's rangning from $278 to $304.

If a shortage arises after the software release in April you could see prices skyrocket.  Remember Cabbage Patch Kids?  Bad thing there is, pressure to fill orders results in a reduction in qality controll. 

Frequent Contributor
netscorer
0 Kudos

'Pricess skyrocket' - we are not talking about oil here. Calm down people. B&N would see a giant PR hit if they raise the price of NC 6 months plus after release. Every competitor would laugh them out of the market share.
Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

pyrexa wrote:

The price did go up on 3rd party sites, most likely due to the press release.  Looks like it's rangning from $278 to $304.

If a shortage arises after the software release in April you could see prices skyrocket.  Remember Cabbage Patch Kids?  Bad thing there is, pressure to fill orders results in a reduction in qality controll. 

I soooo agree with you on the quality control issue. That will surely occur.

Frequent Contributor
pyrexa
0 Kudos

They don't have to raise the price.  They just have to run out or have limited supplies.  They got kind of sparce around Christmas. 

Everyone else will raise the price.  They allready have.

Wordsmith
mariel9898
0 Kudos

I don't think I've ever seen updated software on a device lead to a price increase. In fact I don't think I've ever seen an electronic device that has gone up in price using the exact same hardware. When the HSN pages first went up a few days before they started selling it on the air I thought that the hardware might have changed even slightly, but I called customer service and they assured me it was the same exact model and no hardware changes were made. Would have been strange to see a major hardware update on a device that only hit the market 6 months ago. While I'm pretty sure there will be a Nook Color 2 sometime in the future, I'd be very surprised if it came out any time in 2011.

Correspondent
mogulman
0 Kudos

I can see 2 reasons for a price increase:

1.  Japan earthquake.  It has impacted semiconductor suppliers.  Reduced supplies will increase part prices.

2. Microsoft patent lawsuit.  B&N may be forced into paying a per unit charge.

Frequent Contributor
pyrexa

Read about the lawsuit this morning.  Microsoft needs to change their name to Mononplosoft.

Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin

So I got mine just in the Nook of time!

Inspired Correspondent
Angulimala

The price isn't going up.

Post evidence for your headline claim or, in the future, refrain from haphazard speculation that puts wrong ideas in people's heads.

Inspired Contributor
Serolf_Divad
0 Kudos

mogulman wrote:

I can see 2 reasons for a price increase:

2. Microsoft patent lawsuit.  B&N may be forced into paying a per unit charge.

This is the only thing that could effect a price increase, IMHO. Barnes & Noble is not going to raise prices on the Nook Color, even for a quake inpired parts shortage. They'd get A LOT of bad press. They'd much rather ride out the shortage and promise greater availability once the parts shortage is ameliorated.

However, adusting the price based on the Microsoft lawsuit would make Microsoft look like the bad guys, and would take the heat of B&N.

Contributor
threadtales
0 Kudos

That can't be right...the price of things usually goes down right after I buy them...:smileytongue:

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

By the time that battle is over (MS lawsuit) will be discussing NC3. JMHO  :smileywink:

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

M$ and B&N have been discussing licensing for months, from what I gather.  I imagine that Microsoft's payola bribe graft squeeze coercion incentive has already been worked into the price.

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Inspired Correspondent
Mosier42
0 Kudos

B&N is not the only ones who are being sued by Microsoft.  Motorola is undergoing the same process since last October.  I wouldn't worry to much about it on a consumer end.  It will be settled out of court, even though I don't really understand why Microsoft can sue hardware manufactures over lisencing beefs on an OS...

Frequent Contributor
Snooki
0 Kudos

Angulivala wrote:

The price isn't going up.

Post evidence for your headline claim or, in the future, refrain from haphazard speculation that puts wrong ideas in people's heads.

I'm sorry Nook Color Discussion Police Person, in the future I'll refrain from haphazard speculation that puts wrong ideas in people's heads!  LOL and SMH!!