Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
TomV2
0 Kudos

Printing from the Nook Color?

Does anyone know how you go about printing wirelessly from a Nook Color?

The Barnes & Noble store had no idea how that works.

I purchased my Nook with the expectation of being able to do something as basic as print.

What devices are supported and can I do so wirelessly?

I own two Cannon Multifunction MP 560 wireless printers.

My iPhones uses third part applications called “Print Magic”, Cannon EPP” and also an app
called “Printershare” as Apple did not support printing on the iPhone until
version 4.1 of its OS.

I purchased Quickoffice fromthe B&N online store so that I could work on business
applications which I need to print. Also, it will be nice to print things from
Groupon and etc.

Also, can anyone  give me an idea of how many adult applications there are for the Nook Color
currently and how many are currently under development?

I am trying to gauge how much traction the device is gaining and whether I will see some of
the iPhone essential applications ported to the Nook?

Lastly, has anyone out there "jail broken" the nook so that you can use addriod 3rd partty applications and take advatange of the true Andriod power?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions as I only got my Nook on fathers day.

Correspondent
mogulman
0 Kudos

Re: Printing from the Nook Color?

The NC is an eReader.  I don't think you can print from any eReaders (any Nooks or Kindles).  If you need printing then look at a conventional tablet like the Galaxy Tab.   Maybe you can get printing by rooting the NC but I don't think that would work as a present for your Dad.

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

I cannot print from my NC,,,but I do use Print Share on my Droid X and can easily print from my phone.

Wordsmith
kingskidjan
0 Kudos

TomV2, Jailbreaking on the NC is called rooting.  You'll find lots of threads on that.

Contributor
mrstangblb21
0 Kudos

TomV2, I was a little hesitant about rooting my NC, so I did it on a MicroSD card first. It ran so well off a cheapo (not even a Class 2) SanDisk that I thought after rooting it that I'd go ahead and hack the internal memory. 

A few hours later (it wasn't easy, but it ended up being fun for a techno geek like me) I had it going on the internal memory, and it does run fast. There are lots of advantages to running Cyanogenmod 7 (Gingerbread 2.3) - Honeycomb (3.0) isn't completely error free yet, and they've got C7 working so well that they make nightly builds and changes that you can implement through ROM Manager if you have it rooted internally. 

I didn't know anything at all about how to do this stuff until Wednesday a week ago, and I'm by far no expert now, but I've done it twice on my NC. My advice is to find good forums to read first on how to root it on your SD card, then if you get brave do it internally. It is WELL worth it! All the apps run GREAT - even Angry Birds, that is a memory/resource hog, runs flawlessly.

Go ahead and try it!  

DRV
Wordsmith
DRV
0 Kudos

I have an HP Office Pro 8500A printer which has a feature that allows me to email something to it that it will then print.  I believe other HP models support this and probaly other brands as well.

It's a wireless printer so it is attached to my router and has access to the outside world.  I've used it from my main computer bit I haven't tried it yet from my NC.   It's not universal printing but it does at least allow printing to your home printer from anywhere you can access the Internet.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

I set one of these HP wireless printers up for my stepdad last weekend, with the email-to-print function.  It seems to be fine, though I have not tried printing to it yet. 

There are a couple of different things people talk about with rooting. 

The simplest is to use something called manual nooter.  You're almost guaranteed not to spend hours wondering what happened. You'll completely recognize the OS when it restarts, and the onboard apps you're used to will all be there - but you can install anything off the Android market as well. 

If you're booting your NC off an outboard card, you actually aren't rooting the device, you're running an alternate OS.  These are great, no knock against them, but yes, getting them installed on internal memory is a chore and can lead to things you didn't much want.  Also, you don't have the library, shop, or other proprietary BN apps if you choose to use phiremod or CM7 since these are their own universes. 

These are my definitions of some of the commonly-seen terms:

http://nookworks.blogspot.com/2011/05/definitions.html

and my guide to rooting with manual nooter is here.  The third section applies to BN OS 1.2, the one which has the BN Appstore available.

http://nookworks.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-want-to-root-my-nc.html

My confidence level in the simplicity of manual nooter is such that I've walked people through the process over the phone without trouble. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Frequent Contributor
webyrd
0 Kudos

You can print if rooted or running non-stock OS, two that I know of are Google Cloud Print (requires Chrome on PC to work) or the PrintBot app in the Android Maketplace. I know there are a few others, but I have not checked them out.

Correspondent
ps56k
0 Kudos

just happen to run across a situation where I really wanted to print what I was reading... it happen to be a recipe from a Food Network magazine. 

So - what are the current views on printing from the Nook Color - either native, or with the CM7 system booted via the N2A uSD card.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

ps56k wrote:

just happen to run across a situation where I really wanted to print what I was reading... it happen to be a recipe from a Food Network magazine. 

So - what are the current views on printing from the Nook Color - either native, or with the CM7 system booted via the N2A uSD card.

I don't have much of an answer but I know that most eBooks have printed disabled so even if you could print from the NC, you couldn't print anything from a book, don't know if that would hold true for a magazine or not.