Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
book-hoarderfl
0 Kudos

Printing from the nook color

When reading a magazine on the nook and you run across something you want to print, say a recipe, can you save it to the micro sd card and then print it on your computer?  Please help.  Thanks bunches.

Who needs drugs when you can read a book.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Darkkin
0 Kudos

Re: Printing from the nook color

No.

'Of wings and words and dancing milkweed seeds...'

Correspondent
KnitKicky

Darkkin--isn't there a way to take a "Screen shot" on the NC which then becomes a picture in your gallery? If so, could this be printed from a PC after being transferred there? 

roustabout

[ Edited ]

Quite right, Knitkicky, If you press the volume down key and then hit the n key at the same time, you save a screenshot to /media/Screenshots. 

That file is visible to your computer when you plug the NC in and you can print the screenshot from there. 

Also, many newer printers now come with an email-to-print function, so if you have one of those, set that email address up in your contact list and you can try sending anything you can share by email (often available as a menu choice) to that address for printing.

I don't use one of those myself, so I don't know how flexible the functionality really is. 

If you are using a rooted nc or cm7, search the market for 'print,' as there are a number of apps out there that plug into the email-to-print services from HP, Google, and others to automate (and possibly improve) on that. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Correspondent
susgod

If you are interested in printing receipes, the free NC app Springpad can capture, file, and save the receipe. Then you can easily print it from any computer when you logging in to Springpad on-line.

Contributor
sandyia
0 Kudos

If you have Adobe Digital Editions on your computer, when you connect your NookColor to the computer you can view the magazines by browsing the NookColor files in Adobe Digital Editions.  

I have been able to print entire magazine articles by printing them from Adobe Digital Editions.  I have not tried this with any enhanced magazines since I haven't downloaded any of those yet.

Frequent Contributor
book-hoarderfl
0 Kudos

Thank you everyone for your help.  You all are awesome!

Who needs drugs when you can read a book.
Correspondent
MuseK
0 Kudos

susgod wrote:

If you are interested in printing receipes, the free NC app Springpad can capture, file, and save the receipe. Then you can easily print it from any computer when you logging in to Springpad on-line.

I have springpad and have done this on my computer but how do you do it on the nook?
Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259
0 Kudos

roustabout wrote:

If you press the volume down key and then hit the n key at the same time, you save a screenshot to /media/Screenshots. 

I modify that slightly, because as you described it, you'd also decrease the volume.  Instead I press and hold the n key, THEN tap the Down Volume button.  It will still occasionally drop the volume a notch, but usually not.
- Mark

roustabout
0 Kudos

I gave it in the order I did so that there wouldn't be a potential issue with accidentally dropping out of an app and being unable to get the screen shot - I'm not remembering which, exactly, but I know I have some instances where hitting the n button by itself drops me back to home. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
deemure
0 Kudos

roustabout wrote:

I gave it in the order I did so that there wouldn't be a potential issue with accidentally dropping out of an app and being unable to get the screen shot - I'm not remembering which, exactly, but I know I have some instances where hitting the n button by itself drops me back to home. 

I find for me this has been hit or miss. Most times I end up with a screenshot with the volume notification image in it, because I hit the volume down button before the n, or I get sent to home because I hit the n before the volume down button. It takes practice to hit them simultaneously.
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Wordsmith
doncr
0 Kudos

sandyia wrote:

If you have Adobe Digital Editions on your computer, when you connect your NookColor to the computer you can view the magazines by browsing the NookColor files in Adobe Digital Editions.  

I have been able to print entire magazine articles by printing them from Adobe Digital Editions.  I have not tried this with any enhanced magazines since I haven't downloaded any of those yet.

The enhanced magazines (at least TIME) store their text content as a vertically-oriented PNG image strip that has a transparent background.  I suppose you could print the image strip across multiple pages or run some OCR on the image to extract the text, then print the resulting document.

Mark_OB1
0 Kudos

For those with Rooted NC's looking to print...

[ Edited ]

the PrinterShare Mobile Print app (normally $12.95) is the Freebie of the day in the Amazon appstore:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0055S348W?ie=UTF8&ref=mas_faad

This supposedly works over WiFi, as well as the usual bluetooth, depending of course on whether your printer supports WiFi, or is connected via ethernet to something that does.

- Mark

Oh, and the Free pricing is good only for the next 8 hours.  Sorry I didn't notice it sooner.

roustabout
0 Kudos

Re: For those with Rooted NC's looking to print...

I don't know, since I'm not on-network with the NC just now, but it looks as if you can nab the app free right now, then install it at leisure. And this app claims to support all of my Android devices - Mark, did you rattle cages over there? 

Just made work get me a new Blackberry Torch, and apparently if I give up my other cell phone I can get the wifi hotspot plan activated on the Torch.  Tempting.  I'll see if the torch can be used as a phone at the house. 

I'd like to test the Giant Aviation PDF on this new device, but haven't seen a free PDF reader for it as yet.  Possibly one will swim to the surface when I put the PDF on the device, though. 

Mark_OB1
0 Kudos

Re: For those with Rooted NC's looking to print...

roustabout wrote:

I don't know, since I'm not on-network with the NC just now, but it looks as if you can nab the app free right now, then install it at leisure.

Yes, that's always true.  I do it all the time.

- Mark

Mark_OB1

deemure wrote:

roustabout wrote:

I gave it in the order I did so that there wouldn't be a potential issue with accidentally dropping out of an app and being unable to get the screen shot...  I have some instances where hitting the n button by itself drops me back to home. 

I find for me this has been hit or miss. Most times I end up with a screenshot with the volume notification image in it, because I hit the volume down button before the n, or I get sent to home because I hit the n before the volume down button. It takes practice to hit them simultaneously.

Yep.  And yep.  But perhaps I wasn't explicit enough.  I can't hit them simultaneously either.  So I stopped trying.

If you press and hold the n button, that won't send you to home.  Then briefly click the Vol Down, while holding n down, and then release the n.  Downclicking the volume overrides the n-jump.  Like I said, it works for me, most of the time. 

I was just really annoyed with getting the Volume image in all my screen caps, or being thrown out of whatever App I happened to be in.  That's what I came up with.

- Mark

Wordsmith
daenas
0 Kudos

roustabout wrote:

Quite right, Knitkicky, If you press the volume down key and then hit the n key at the same time, you save a screenshot to /media/Screenshots. 

That file is visible to your computer when you plug the NC in and you can print the screenshot from there. 

Also, many newer printers now come with an email-to-print function, so if you have one of those, set that email address up in your contact list and you can try sending anything you can share by email (often available as a menu choice) to that address for printing.

I don't use one of those myself, so I don't know how flexible the functionality really is. 

If you are using a rooted nc or cm7, search the market for 'print,' as there are a number of apps out there that plug into the email-to-print services from HP, Google, and others to automate (and possibly improve) on that. 

How does one send attachments in email?  I thought we didn't have that ability.  I would LOVE to be able to send attachments!

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236

Mark_OB1 wrote:

deemure wrote:

roustabout wrote:

I gave it in the order I did so that there wouldn't be a potential issue with accidentally dropping out of an app and being unable to get the screen shot...  I have some instances where hitting the n button by itself drops me back to home. 

Yep.  And yep.  But perhaps I wasn't explicit enough.  I can't hit them simultaneously either.  So I stopped trying.

If you press and hold the n button, that won't send you to home.  Then briefly click the Vol Down, while holding n down, and then release the n.  Downclicking the volume overrides the n-jump.  Like I said, it works for me, most of the time. 

I was just really annoyed with getting the Volume image in all my screen caps, or being thrown out of whatever App I happened to be in.  That's what I came up with.

- Mark

This is how I take screen shots and it works for me too.

roustabout
0 Kudos

Daenas, it seems to be per-app, but a number of apps have a "share by email" command built into them. 

I have to admit I have not tried it since I don't use the stock mail client, and in general I don't use the NC to send email, just to let me know if I need to find a computer and get some actual work done. 

Inspired Wordsmith
MatthewH
0 Kudos

daenas wrote:

roustabout wrote:

How does one send attachments in email?  I thought we didn't have that ability.  I would LOVE to be able to send attachments!

While the built-in NC email application does not support attachments, the gmail web interface does.  I regularly email NC screenshots to myself from gmail for later printing on my home computer.  You can also copy the screenshot from NC to another computer via USB connection.

Remember: the big print giveth, the small print taketh away.