Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
retiefBD
0 Kudos

Problem reading ePub, bad formatting only on Nook

I purchase an eBook from Borders, had an old gift card to use, and the book downloads as an ePub which can be read with Adobe Digital Editions as well as the Borders app.  Using both on my PC all the pages look fine.  When I transfer the book to the Nook it opens fine, but some pages, luckily none in the book itself just some of the opening pages such as the character list, are jammed up to the right side of the page using the standard B&N app.  I downloaded the Borders Android app to my phone, Thunderbolt running 2.2, and the pages look fine.  I am rooted on 1.2 so I tried the Borders app on the Nook, it just doesn't run.  I also have rooted Honeycomb and the Borders app just doesn't work there either.

I am wondering if anyone else has had any issues with ePub books on the Nook, and if so what resolution you found?  I have not yet called BN CS, but I am planning to.

Thanks,

Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT
0 Kudos

Re: Problem reading ePub, bad formatting only on Nook

You can notify B&N and they in turn can notify the publisher. B&N does not format the books the publisher does. 

http://quiltinharmony.blogspot.com/
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A

Correspondent
retiefBD
0 Kudos

geatdanemomDT wrote:

You can notify B&N and they in turn can notify the publisher. B&N does not format the books the publisher does. 

Thanks.  I understand that, but since the formatting is correct is 2 other ePub apps, Adobe Digital Editions and the Borders ePub app for both the PC and Anroid, I don't think this is a simple formatting issue, but an eReader issue.

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

Well one thing to see if your Nook color has "Use Publishers Defaults" checked under text settings.

If it is and still the problem. Then uncheck it and apply your own text size,font and spacing to see if any work for the book.

And even tho it works fine on other reading devices but not on the Nook color. It may be something specific to the reader software used. But the publisher supplies the formatted copy to B&N and they can't fiddle with it. It's still up to the publisher to verify the format for whatever reader they are going to distrubute to. And still in their court to make it right not B&N.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Correspondent
retiefBD
0 Kudos

orb9220 wrote:

Well one thing to see if your Nook color has "Use Publishers Defaults" checked under text settings.

If it is and still the problem. Then uncheck it and apply your own text size,font and spacing to see if any work for the book.

Thanks!  That was the key.  The key was playing around with the font and font size.  It looks to me like the Borders app and Adobe Digital Edition choose a different set of font/font-size as defaults.  What was interesting to me is the setting on the Nook was "off" for Publisher Defaults, changing it did nothing.  But the really good news is that I now know what to try prior to thinking there is a formatting issues.  This I can live with.

It doesn't look to me like the publisher formatted the book any differently, just different defaults got taken, which is quite understandable.

This also leads me to doing somethnig that I should never do, since I am a man of course, and that is to Read the Manual :smileywink:

Much appreciated. now I can go back to being a Happy Reader.

Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT
0 Kudos

Happy you got that worked all and we all learned something.:smileyhappy:

http://quiltinharmony.blogspot.com/
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

Yep glad it worked for you.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/