Reply
Contributor
J_Diamond
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎02-05-2011

Productivity Apps

As a Graduate Student I can't tell myself enough maybe I should have just saved for an iPad.  I mean, its frustrating the amount of free apps out there that run on the Android system that Nook Color lack.  Drop box for one would be a great app to have as it syncs all your devices and goes right along with the fact that the Nook Color allows you to download PDF files.  I know that this is an e-reader and the purpose I got it for was to read books which is why I can't be bothered with rooting so please, spare me... I shouldn't have to change my device to get its full potential.  I wanted something separate to read books on, a tool specifically for my studies and now that they offer apps I just wish they would offer some that fit in with the theme of the product instead of tic tac toe and angry birds! Give us more productivity apps because you have a lot of people who use this item for reading for classes and work, so make this product work for us.  Sorry but I'm not going to buy a product at the cost of the nook color so children can play Dr. Seuss games... Lets be practical! 

Contributor
bookgirlJJ
Posts: 21
Registered: ‎05-29-2011

Re: Productivity Apps

I could not possibly agree with you more! As a college professor and bibliophile, the main reason I purchased the Nook Color is that it was marketed as a "reader's tablet", and I was told by B&N staff that the apps being developed would "enhance the reading experience". I assumed (my mistake) they meant the ADULT reading experience, but it seems they meant the reading experience of CHILDREN. Also, I find it annoying that they call enhanced books "apps", which they are not, and that there is no way to export annotations and highlights to a single document.
Reader 4
dmmay
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎08-09-2010

Re: Productivity Apps

Amen from another professor.

Distinguished Wordsmith
MaluhiaKana
Posts: 364
Registered: ‎04-22-2011

Re: Productivity Apps

[ Edited ]

To the OP,

 

Maybe the next time you make a purchase of an electronic device, you should consider doing a little research as to its capabilities BEFOREHAND instead of whining about it AFTER the fact!

 

As a "grad student", one would expect more intelligence on your part, so please "spare me" the childish rant.

 

BTW, if you can't spend 15 minutes installing CM7 (any 5th grader could to it) and getting all the apps you could ever want, then just sell your NC and move on.

 

Just sayin' :smileywink:

Inspired Contributor
bchau
Posts: 68
Registered: ‎11-19-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Productivity Apps

I put the ManualNooter onto the NookColor and have the best of both worlds. Full B&N Nookcolor experience with full Android Market access.

While I have installed many Android free apps, I have to say the B&N apps are quite polished. I have just purchased the US$1.99 Drawing Pad app and love it.

Contributor
bookgirlJJ
Posts: 21
Registered: ‎05-29-2011

Re: Productivity Apps

MaluhiaKana, I don't see any reason for such a condescending personal attack on the OP. Why such hostility and immaturity, making cracks about the OP's intelligence? There is nothing in the post that indicates that research was not done before the purchase. I did quite a bit, and what I was told by various B&N representatives about forthcoming apps did not prove true. And even though perhaps "any fifth grader" can install CM7, not everyone wants to (me included) for a variety of reasons that have nothing to do with ease of doing so. What happened to manners and collegiality?
Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25
Posts: 859
Registered: ‎03-12-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Productivity Apps

What bothers me about the original post is her implication that she bought it almost exclusively to read books on it...and seemingly was satisfied UNTIL they added apps.  Only when they added apps did she become dissatisfied that they did not add the apps she wanted.  But doesn't it still do what she originally loved about it?  Makes no sense to me.

Mark_OB1
Posts: 1,574
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,358
Registered: ‎12-14-2010

Re: Productivity Apps


richardwrite25 wrote:

 

Makes no sense to me.



Makes perfect sense to me. 

 

OP bought it to read books on, and was happy with that.  Realizes that it has a lot more potential to do a lot more, but B&N isn't filling the Shop with Apps that grownups want and need.  Even though they're readily available from other sources.

 

This really isn't all that novel a reaction, and is shared by quite a few folks.  Some of them went on to root, while others have no interest in that.  But they would still like to make B&N aware of their concerns and disappointments, which seems completely legitimate to me.

 

For many NC owners, the Nook Shop is a promise still unfulfilled.

 

- Mark

 

Mark_OB1
Posts: 1,574
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,358
Registered: ‎12-14-2010

Re: Productivity Apps

And to provide a bit of perspective, when I say, "the Nook Shop is a promise still unfulfilled", what I mean is that when B&N was hyping the App Shop and how great it was going to be, they described it as a curated store, where apps were easy to find (riiight), and that met the needs of (presumably adult) readers on a reading-centric device.

 

They made it clear that they weren't going to open it up to the whole A-Market, and had some good rationale behind that, no matter how many people might wish they would.  The fact was though that while having access to the entire Market was unnecessary, since there's little need for 100 or 200 of each app, there was still a critical factor of providing enough apps in each category to meet expectations, with a significant coverage of the diverse needs customers had. Pretty simple criteria, really.

 

Two months after the Shop opened (and 8 months after the product announcement), they've still failed to achieve that.  They're adding dozens more childrens book "apps" every week, while by a generous count, they have 27 "productivity" apps in their Shop.  Total.  That's extremely weak, and the longer they fail to meet their customer's needs, the louder the complaints are going to get.

 

Which I know is unpleasant to hear, for those who would be happy with their NC's even if they had 0 apps.

 

- Mark

 

Mark_OB1
Posts: 1,574
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,358
Registered: ‎12-14-2010

Re: Productivity Apps


MaluhiaKana wrote:

To the OP,

 

Maybe the next time you make a purchase of an electronic device, you should consider doing a little research as to its capabilities BEFOREHAND instead of whining about it AFTER the fact!

 

MK, I'm not sure why you felt it necessary to respond so harshly?  You've had helpful posts in the past.  Unfortunately, this wasn't one of them.

 

As a "grad student", one would expect more intelligence on your part, so please "spare me" the childish rant.

 

This was really uncalled for.  Just because someone has critical comments does not make them childish.  Perhaps you'd prefer that the NC Forums be a place where "never is heard a discouraging word", and NC owners can rest easy all day, knowing their device (and choice) was perfect?

 

BTW, if you can't spend 15 minutes installing CM7 (any 5th grader could to it) and getting all the apps you could ever want, then just sell your NC and move on.

 

Is that really helpful to the OP, the readers of this Forum, or even B&N?  "If you don't like it, just go away?"  "We don't want to hear any negative comments, suggestions, or criticisms?"  I don't see how that's in B&N's interests at all.

 

I really wish people here could be more tolerant of a diversity of opinions.  And not feel like they had to go on the offensive every time someone maks a comment that makes them feel defensive.

 

Just sayin' :smileywink:

 

Sorry.  A wink and "just sayin'" doesn't excuse your rude and abusive commentary.

 

- Mark


 

[One possibly helpful tip for the OP and others who come in here as newbies.  The iPad and the NC are really totally different products, for totally different needs.  The fact that they're both tablets is misleading.  For someone who needs the combination of benefits the NC offers, buying an iPad would be a poor choice.  And the converse is also certainly true.

 

Because of that dichotomy, I've noticed that there's an automatic response here in the Forum (not completely unjustified), whenever someone starts comparing the two, and "bashing" the NC by saying they should have bought an iPad.  To avoid that backlash, it's more productive to omit the comparisons, and stick to your comments on the strengths and weaknesses of the NC.

 

If they can't stand alone, they're going to get shot down.  And if they CAN stand alone, but you've incorporated the iPad into your argument, they'll probably get shot down based on that.  I'm just suggesting that doing so negatively impacts your credibility.  Take it for what it's worth.  :smileyhappy:]

Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif
Posts: 817
Registered: ‎01-03-2011

Re: Productivity Apps

Those that seek shall find!

 

If you truly want to have a full tablet experience with your Nookcolor, it is out there, if you really want it.  I have yet to see one ad by B&N that compares the Nookcolor feature and function set with the Ipad.  Most of the reviews on line that attempt to make that comparison are fairly clear that you have to root or install something that will change the OS, making all the trick stuff available. 

 

 

Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25
Posts: 859
Registered: ‎03-12-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Productivity Apps

Mark, I can't believe you don't see the contradiction in the original post:

 

I bought this as an e-reader and ONLY for use as an e-reader, therefore when I want it to be used for more than my ONLY purpose for it, I can't be bothered ro root it. HUH?

Distinguished Correspondent
Ohbjuan
Posts: 136
Registered: ‎01-14-2011

Re: Productivity Apps

I too purchased my Nookcolor to read on, but when told by B&N as I was making the purchase about the apps coming I was excited for that as well. Like many I don't want to root my device. I have the skills to do so, but don't want to do that.

 

When the update came and the apps were so lame and EXPENSIVE I was disappointed. I would love to sync my Outlook calendar to my Nook, but don't want to, and frankly can't afford to pay over $30 for an app that might do that. I would love to have a Twitter and Facebook app as well.

 

If I could use my Nookcolor for some of the activities I use my phone for I would probably use it for more than reading and have to charge it every day. But I can't because the apps are mostly for kids. I like the idea of helping kids enjoy reading, but come on, I am an adult and I want adult apps that I can use. I also want them at a reasonable price.

 

I think what frustrates people like the OP and myself is that the device is capable of doing what we want WITHOUT having to root the device. Since it is capable of doing it, why not put the apps in the store that would let us do that. I think B&N is dropping the ball big time by only adding mostly kiddie apps, and I think down the road they will regret it. I don't see them changing in the near future as most of the advertising is touting the kiddie aspect to the reader.

 

So while I LOVE my Nookcolor and have no regrets about buying it, I am very disappointed in the apps available so far. Hopefully down the road (very soon) B&N will offer more apps for people over seven years old.

 

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
Posts: 3,933
Registered: ‎12-28-2009

Re: Productivity Apps

[ Edited ]

Hmmm, not sure I understand this one, but I do have dropbox on my unrooted NC.  I got quickoffice pro and chose dropbox, but there were other options as well.  I edit documents on both computer and on my NC and use dropbox.

 

And for the record for the poster that says enhanced books are apps-they are not.  Go to the website, to nookbooks and look under enhanced nookbooks.  They are books that feature video, audio, animation, and illustrations.  This is a technical distinction.  The app books for kids feature interactivity such as the Peter Rabbit popup book where you pull tabs and such.

 

Keep in mind that for bookstores the largest audience of ereader users (for emagazines as well) is women.  And women have children.  The largest audience for tablet usage is men.  There's crossover for sure, but this is the initial segment that is targeted for each device.  Movie producers do this as well-blockbusters are targeted for male teens and highbrow movies have a much more limited release, lower budget, and less hype.

 

I do think BN would do themselves a favor to target kids, students, schools, libraries, and so on, since the potential for loyal customers would be really great here.  It's shortsighted to merely target those that are already sold on an idea or product.  You need to create a community.  And I too would like more productivity apps and would even love to see them port NOOKstudy over to the NOOKcolor.  That seems to be a natural. 

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Wordsmith
Serendip
Posts: 618
Registered: ‎02-11-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Productivity Apps

 


Mark_OB1 wrote:

And to provide a bit of perspective, when I say, "the Nook Shop is a promise still unfulfilled", what I mean is that when B&N was hyping the App Shop and how great it was going to be, they described it as a curated store, where apps were easy to find (riiight), and that met the needs of (presumably adult) readers on a reading-centric device.

 

They made it clear that they weren't going to open it up to the whole A-Market, and had some good rationale behind that, no matter how many people might wish they would.  The fact was though that while having access to the entire Market was unnecessary, since there's little need for 100 or 200 of each app, there was still a critical factor of providing enough apps in each category to meet expectations, with a significant coverage of the diverse needs customers had. Pretty simple criteria, really.

 

Two months after the Shop opened (and 8 months after the product announcement), they've still failed to achieve that.  They're adding dozens more childrens book "apps" every week, while by a generous count, they have 27 "productivity" apps in their Shop.  Total.  That's extremely weak, and the longer they fail to meet their customer's needs, the louder the complaints are going to get.

 

Which I know is unpleasant to hear, for those who would be happy with their NC's even if they had 0 apps.

 

- Mark

 


They belied their description with the constant and prominant use of the Angry Birds app image in all of their app-hyping literature.

 

What, exactly, is reader-centric about that app?! Clearly, they were more interested in competing with the Amazon app store,  and hooking people who wanted a tablet, and they did... this board alone was filled with people jumping up and down over Angry Birds!

 

I viewed that as a sign, a BILLBOARD, in fact, that their claims of reader-centric should be taken very, very lightly. And that seems to have been proven right, based on the apps that do exist. Perhaps if I wanted enhanced books for children I'd feel differently, though I would still think of them as BOOKS and not as APPS.

 

Anyone thinking otherwise, including the "Graduate Student" OP should have paid attention. HOPING for productivity apps is one thing, EXPECTING them based on the B&N ads, well... 

 

 

Distinguished Wordsmith
rbentley101
Posts: 222
Registered: ‎04-04-2011

Re: Productivity Apps


Ohbjuan wrote:

When the update came and the apps were so lame and EXPENSIVE I was disappointed. I would love to sync my Outlook calendar to my Nook, but don't want to, and frankly can't afford to pay over $30 for an app that might do that. I would love to have a Twitter and Facebook app as well.

 


 


You can sync your Outlook calendar to your stock Nook without any additional cost.  Google makes a free "Google Calendar Sync."  It syncs Outlook with your Google calendar and you set your NC to read your Google calendar.

 

http://www.google.com/support/calendar/bin/answer.py?answer=89955

 

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
Posts: 946
Registered: ‎05-21-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Productivity Apps


deemure wrote:

Hmmm, not sure I understand this one, but I do have dropbox on my unrooted NC.  I got quickoffice pro and chose dropbox, but there were other options as well.  I edit documents on both computer and on my NC and use dropbox.

 

 

Deemure:

 

Thanks so much for this info. Sound promising!  Could you help me out here? Questions that came to mind:

1) Did you already have a Dropbox account established before you downloaded QuickOfficePro? Or can you create an account later?

2) Is Dropbox showing up as a standalone app on the NC? Or do you only have access to it as you are saving your Quickoffice docs?

3) Do you need to be connected via wi-fi to work on docs or can you upload later?

4) Is it saving docs to the internal memory or SD card?

Thanks for your help!

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
Posts: 3,572
Registered: ‎03-31-2011

Re: Productivity Apps

[ Edited ]

Great spot, Deemure! 

 

It looks as if you can add dropbox whenever you like. 

 

With QOP open, hit the "accounts" button.  You have access to google docs, dropbox, box, huddle, sugarsync, and two variants of mobile me. I added Google Docs just now, it worked fine.

 

From google docs, at least, changes can be saved back to Google or locally to the sdcard if you need to be away from a trusted hotspot for a time. 

 

I hadn't noticed this, largely because I actually prefer not to trust Google, Dropbox, etc. with content that is or might be confidential. 

 

But it resolves the OPs specific questions, though it certainly doesn't deal globally with productivity.  Should BN do a better job telling us what the apps they sell let us do?  Absolutely.  Should questions get asked sooner rather than later?  Yes again.

 

And a word of advice to the OP:  when I was a grad student, I was cheap, smart help and none of us thought it was a job title that needed capital letters. In fact, in my department, we had a series of jokes about spinal grad students doing fictive work.  I'm not sure what your goal was in identifying your status in your first line, but one read on it was that you felt your title made you more authoritative.  

 

I suspect your goal was to explain that you're on a tight budget, but other reads are possible, and I think drew the flak around smarts. 

 

I can't speak for the other folks with fancy paper here but for myself, I prefer not to lead with my chin like that and go on to acknowledge that I'm not ready to do research on a topic.

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Frequent Contributor
Origamist
Posts: 31
Registered: ‎01-19-2011

Re: Productivity Apps

Well, from one grad student to another, I think the stock NC has a lot of potential for students that BN is not really making use of.  Even the fact that if I highlight a book in the stock reader, my notes are not available online anywhere is a problem in my eyes.  As students there is a great need to coordinate files, notes, and books across platforms. 

 

And I hear the "I have the capability, I simply don't want to" argument, which is totally fine.  That is a choice you make and why shouldn't the company provide things that are already accessible and proven to run on the device elsewhere?  However, I will say that I did the last ManualNooter, and the NC has become a dream device for me.  I could have refused to root on principle, but I tried not to let my stubbornness get the best of me.  Why should I allow this device (which, for grad students, is expensive!) to be less than optimally useful?  At the end of the day, my productivity was the most important and so I rooted.  It was my personal choice, I can attest that it wasn't difficult, and my NC does everything I need it to do so that I don't need to lug around a heavy laptop every time I go out. Plus, I try to be cost efficient and it didn't make sense to re-pay for applications I already have on my phone when I could download them again on any android device for free.

 

If you do choose to root it, some apps that I have fallen in love with and make use of daily are ColorNote, ToDoIst, DropBox, Google Apps, Calculator, Nook/Kindle/Kobo Apps, QuickPic, and QuickOffice.

 

I also primarily use my Nook for reading, but I can read a diversity of material now and keep track of my notes/comments.  For me, nothing could be more valuable but that is just my opinion.  Not trying to step on toes here.

Contributor
bookgirlJJ
Posts: 21
Registered: ‎05-29-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Productivity Apps

To those who might have interpreted the OP's mention of being a grad student as trying to sound " authoritative" or on a tight budget, has it occurred to you that s/he was simply using the term to quickly communicate what needs that might bring about? When I posted that I was a college professor, I wasn't trying to claim any type of authority or superiority, nor was I trying to suggest any particular socio-economic status. Rather, I was underscoring my own professional *needs* (i.e. needing tools for extensive annotations, highlights, and bookmarks that can be exported). I am guessing that was the intent of the OP. Sometimes the most obvious possible interpretation *is* the correct one, and it appears that *most* people who post here (thank goodness) do so with good intentions of expressing opinions to B&N, asking questions to other NC users, and sharing their solutions and expertise - not simply to antagonize others.