Reply
Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
Posts: 3,571
Registered: ‎03-31-2011

Re: Productivity Apps

Bookgirl writes:  "When I posted that I was a college professor, I wasn't trying to claim any type of authority or superiority, nor was I trying to suggest any particular socio-economic status. Rather, I was underscoring my own professional *needs* (i.e. needing tools for extensive annotations, highlights, and bookmarks that can be exported)"

Indeed you used a general introduction and then immediately gave specific examples of what elements of the toolset were lacking for your use in your work.  You didn't say 'college professor' as a proxy for explaining the tools you need, because you write well and know how to construct arguments and an explanations using old-fashioned rhetorical sleight of hand like specifics and evidence. :smileyhappy:

Given that we're all guessing at why the OP included the job title in the post, that tends to suggest the poster probably isn't in your specialty. The utility that seemed absent until Deemure pointed out it was there all along is of as much use to a working stiff as it would be to a student. 

What kind of graduate study someone's doing might have a big impact on what they might want  from an NC as a work tool - as indeed what professional or academic specialization someone has will have an impact.

Someone who reads and writes for a living is going to find that it's a nice device to have to avoid carrying stacks of books around, but that they probably also need a paper notepad on one side, since the annotaions functions are so very weak on-board. Probably shortly after that, they're likely to start thinking "hm, lightweight notebook with the Nook and Kindle software installed might be pretty excellent too."  Neither BN nor Amazon are targeting people who read for a living;  both the Kindle and the Nook are designed for casual reading - as are somewhere between all and most e-reading applications.

There are dedicated Bible study applications that have intelligent databases built into them, with the idea that people will take a lot of notes and want to share those notes.  I don't know how well they work, but I know that there are projects that have been being worked on in that space for many years - almost as long as there's been smut on the internet, in fact :smileyhappy:

It would be great is if the author of one of those was interested in developing it for a wider group of books, letting users choose the text to read with it.  One problem is that the Bible already has what amounts to a set of database keys built into it;  depending on how much reliance the Bible study apps have on those pointers, it might be very difficult to get decent use out of them without first putting in markers throughout a text.  That process could be automated, though.

In my line of work, the tablet category of device is professionally very near to worthless and at the same time, highly entertaining.  I'm well suited to get the NC to do pretty much as much as it can do and to realize that - limited as it is - for my purposes, it's always going to smoke the iPad.  When I need to work or read for work, I need to sit down at a real computer. The one tablet I've seen targeted to my work sells for around $12,000.00.  It has a 2.5 hour battery life and weighs about 3 pounds.  The battery is hot-swappable, so the poor folks who get stuck dragging them around get to carry another several ounces of gear in their bags.

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Inspired Wordsmith
petesnook
Posts: 381
Registered: ‎12-08-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Productivity Apps

rbentley101, what am I missing? My stock NC doesn't have a calendar, so how can "you set your NC to read your Google calendar"?
Mark_OB1
Posts: 1,574
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,358
Registered: ‎12-14-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Productivity Apps


petesnook wrote:
rbentley101, what am I missing? My stock NC doesn't have a calendar, so how can "you set your NC to read your Google calendar"?

 

Pete,

 

using the web browser, I presume.

 

- Mark

 

Contributor
J_Diamond
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎02-05-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Productivity Apps


MaluhiaKana wrote:

To the OP,

 

Maybe the next time you make a purchase of an electronic device, you should consider doing a little research as to its capabilities BEFOREHAND instead of whining about it AFTER the fact!

 

As a "grad student", one would expect more intelligence on your part, so please "spare me" the childish rant.

 

BTW, if you can't spend 15 minutes installing CM7 (any 5th grader could to it) and getting all the apps you could ever want, then just sell your NC and move on.

 

Just sayin' :smileywink:


I am a grad student, no need for quotations and maybe if you learned to read you would see my original post said I BOUGHT THE DEVICE TO READ BOOKS ON AND NOW THAT THEY OFFER APPS I WISH THEY HAD MORE APPS THAT ACTUALLY ENHANCED THE READING EXPERIENCE AND MADE THE DEVICE MORE SCHOOL FRIENDLY.  Yes I know I can install programs and root like I said spare me because I do not want to have to do that to any device I spend my money on I was simply stating that I wish the device lived up to a better potential on Barnes and Nobles end instead of tons of apps geared towards children.  For anybody who owns a Nook Color in the first place I cannot see how half the apps they offer are of any use and thats not just my opinion but the opinion of many users I have come into contact with.  I can play angry birds on my computer, cell phone and ipod why on earth do I need it on my Nook Color too?  I just feel like the apps NOW THAT THEY OFFER THEM should be geared towards readers not people who like to play games.  I chose to not download any apps and use my NookColor for the intended purpose which is to read books.  No need for your smart comments on how a 5th grader can change the system, if I wanted an android tablet, I would have bought one.... I will get the best of both worlds when I get my ipad and download the Nook app so I an read if I want to not carry both.  So instead of wasting your time complaining about my statement either don't read the post or simply realize the it does not apply to you and move on.  

Contributor
J_Diamond
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎02-05-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Productivity Apps


richardwrite25 wrote

What bothers me about the original post is her implication that she bought it almost exclusively to read books on it...and seemingly was satisfied UNTIL they added apps.  Only when they added apps did she become dissatisfied that they did not add the apps she wanted.  But doesn't it still do what she originally loved about it?  Makes no sense to me.


I'm not dissatisfied as yes I did buy it exclusively to read books on.  It was just a frustrating moment when I finally went to check the app store out to see what it was all about and saw that the apps we're completely useless to me.  I will continue to use my Nook Color for reading books and organizing certain PDF's for school however I was just disappointed at the lack of apps for what I assumed the target to be which are readers.  That is all.  Yes it does what I originally loved but everyone is allowed a frustrating moment are they not?  And by expressing a want for more or better productivity apps and seeing that others feel that way maybe B&N will work towards this and the product will gorw as well as my love for it! 

Contributor
J_Diamond
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎02-05-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Productivity Apps


Mark_OB1 wrote:

MaluhiaKana wrote:

To the OP,

 

Maybe the next time you make a purchase of an electronic device, you should consider doing a little research as to its capabilities BEFOREHAND instead of whining about it AFTER the fact!

 

MK, I'm not sure why you felt it necessary to respond so harshly?  You've had helpful posts in the past.  Unfortunately, this wasn't one of them.

 

As a "grad student", one would expect more intelligence on your part, so please "spare me" the childish rant.

 

This was really uncalled for.  Just because someone has critical comments does not make them childish.  Perhaps you'd prefer that the NC Forums be a place where "never is heard a discouraging word", and NC owners can rest easy all day, knowing their device (and choice) was perfect?

 

BTW, if you can't spend 15 minutes installing CM7 (any 5th grader could to it) and getting all the apps you could ever want, then just sell your NC and move on.

 

Is that really helpful to the OP, the readers of this Forum, or even B&N?  "If you don't like it, just go away?"  "We don't want to hear any negative comments, suggestions, or criticisms?"  I don't see how that's in B&N's interests at all.

 

I really wish people here could be more tolerant of a diversity of opinions.  And not feel like they had to go on the offensive every time someone maks a comment that makes them feel defensive.

 

Just sayin' :smileywink:

 

Sorry.  A wink and "just sayin'" doesn't excuse your rude and abusive commentary.

 

- Mark


 

[One possibly helpful tip for the OP and others who come in here as newbies.  The iPad and the NC are really totally different products, for totally different needs.  The fact that they're both tablets is misleading.  For someone who needs the combination of benefits the NC offers, buying an iPad would be a poor choice.  And the converse is also certainly true.

 

Because of that dichotomy, I've noticed that there's an automatic response here in the Forum (not completely unjustified), whenever someone starts comparing the two, and "bashing" the NC by saying they should have bought an iPad.  To avoid that backlash, it's more productive to omit the comparisons, and stick to your comments on the strengths and weaknesses of the NC.

 

If they can't stand alone, they're going to get shot down.  And if they CAN stand alone, but you've incorporated the iPad into your argument, they'll probably get shot down based on that.  I'm just suggesting that doing so negatively impacts your credibility.  Take it for what it's worth.  :smileyhappy:]


I agre with your posts and your right they are two different devices.  I don't expect for anyone on the other side of a computer screen to understand anything the OP (me in this case) meant. I don't mind the negativity people have their days! I wasn't necessarily "bashing" the NC its a great device and I wish it never had apps to begin with which is why I don't have any but I was thinking more in the terms for which would have been better for grad school not which is the better device overall.  I would have said the same thing had they not offered apps maybe not on here but I would have felt exactly the same way.  In terms of the better device not solely for book reading but for the student, teacher or professional in mind.  For me it does fulfill its purpose to replace having to carry around 5 novels a day and it worked well but after carrying around my Nook and Mac throughout undergrad (for the time I had both) I thought maybe it might have been a better idea to have gone with the iPad for various reasons.  I have ended up with both and use them in two very different ways and looking back I think that was the better decision than choosing one or the other because in my book they have pros and cons alike for my personal use. 

Contributor
J_Diamond
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎02-05-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Productivity Apps


roustabout wrote:

Great spot, Deemure! 

 

It looks as if you can add dropbox whenever you like. 

 


Thanks! And thanks to NookGardener I will look into these options as I didn't know that.  I was looking for a specific app and its good to know with a little digging I can actually have that maybe I will look into the apps a little bit more.  

 

The overall "complaint" so to speak is yes I did feel like when B&N decided to expand the market it was more child friendly than anything but I will still enjoy my NC to read books on and now with the addition of drop box it makes it a little easier to keep track of what PDF's I have access to on the go! Thanks for your posts! 

Correspondent
MuseK
Posts: 82
Registered: ‎03-26-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Productivity Apps

Can anyone give some more info on dropbox? Is it just iin the app or is there a stannd alone? Im not rooted
Inspired Contributor
Warlock_Writer
Posts: 49
Registered: ‎05-19-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Productivity Apps


MuseK wrote:
Can anyone give some more info on dropbox? Is it just iin the app or is there a stannd alone? Im not rooted

You can access files from your Dropbox using the Quick Office app. Or you can use the browser version of Dropbox, which I use for downloading pictures and sometimes .epub files. Guess I could also get video that way, though I've got too little room in my Dropbox for many videos.

Inspired Wordsmith
chuck4prez
Posts: 722
Registered: ‎04-29-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Productivity Apps

J_Diamond wrote:

-snip-

 

 Yes I know I can install programs and root like I said spare me because I do not want to have to do that to any device I spend my money on I was simply stating that I wish the device lived up to a better potential on Barnes and Nobles end instead of tons of apps geared towards children.

 

-snip-


You say that like its a bad thing, or that it's abusive to the NC, or that it's not worth your time, or that on general principal it should do all that stuff anyway.

 

This is the only hurdle in your statements I am having difficulty getting over. The contradiction is that you said "... I do not want to have to do that to any device I spend my money on...", and yet by doing just that, it would make your NC do everything you want it to. I totally get that people don't want to root because their NC's do everything they want them to, but you say you want more. You can have more. Your NC would thank you. Sure you can post your dislikes here along with everyone else, but there happens to be a solution for you, yet you don't want it.

 

The "I spend my money on" part is a concern for me because personally, I want all I can get out of anything I spend my money on. It gives me a sense of value. This is also why I am under the impression that you are not rooting on general principal. That's fine and everything, but why are you so willing to hold yourself back? It's free, and it's reversable if you don't like it. And it's pretty. And it's more responsive. And it will address every issue you have brought up so far.